Hacking DSiShop bypass without firmware upgrade

islamy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
Guys,

It's my first time post after long time reading... I had a little observation that I would like to share with you. Last week I bought 2 DSi for my daughters from the states and they had 1.2U, I wanted to use the complementary 1000 points and get some stuff for the girls. I had to update to 1.3U in order to have access to the DSiShop, and that's what I've done with the first DSi..

As for the second one, I started the upgrade process (as the first one), however, the rounter hanged and something went wrong with the connection. I had a connection time-out error on the DSi, I went back to setting and I found that it's still on 1.2U. So, after restarting the router, I went back to the DSiShop in order to re-apply the upgrade... Well, I was surperised that I was able to access the DSiShop and I was able to download 2 DSiWares..

What I've been thinking of is that; if cool DSiWares are released after 1.4 (ex. Flipnote Studio), would it be possible to start the upgrade and in the middle of the process - let's say; shut down the router. Would this enable us to access the Shop and download whatever we want while we still on 1.3 enjoying our flashcards?

Well, I can't confirm this 100%, however, thought to share my experience with you and if anyone can confirm this, please let us know..

Thanks

TheDestroyer

GBAtemp's Official Keyblade Master™
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I thought of this too when there was an update (1.4) that blocks flashcart..
I thought that by interrupting the update you could still use flashcarts and enjoy the new updates at the same time..
However, i never really tried it.. and probably won't considering the consequences and frankly, i don't think that it would work..

indask8

New Member Forever
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm pretty sure shutting down the router at startup/middle of the update is not dangerous...

If the DSi brick, then, nintendo's programmers are really lame (online firmware updating is not dangerous, as long as you entirely download the firmware and do a crc check)...

islamy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
I do agree with you that the official update would never brick your DSi or Wii, as it download everything first & check their consistency then the installation occur, actually, on my second DSi, I went to setting for performing the update for second time and it was so quickly, it seems that it has resumed downloading the update rather than starting from the beginning, then it was actually installed and the DSi became on 1.3U..

As I said before, I just want to share an observation with you guys, when 1.4 is released in US, I'll try to do it & I'll let you know the outcome..

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well if it's downloaded and checked before any installation process occurs then that would mean it doesn't matter if you reset the router because it wouldn't affect the installation just the download and it wouldn't install only half the download since it would either be corrupted or it would just start from where it left off. Which means resetting the router shouldn't do anything to your installation it might at the very right moment though...anyways yah...I'm not calling you a lier, I'm just calling you damn lucky.

Man18

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PettingZoo said:
Wow, that's pretty awesome. Maybe other exploits like this could be made?
1 Start the update...
2 Wait till 1/2 way through and SHUT OFF THE INTERNET
3 Hope that since it downloads then updates it will work the way you want it.

Silly idea.

ilovengage

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
You definitely won't brick your DSi by disabling the WiFi connection - it's just something that can happen everytime. The only thing that should be a problem would be running out of battery while updating.

My theory to what occured to you is: Nintendo doesn't update the system as a whole image file, but parts of it. Maybe or example your DSi downloaded the Shop channel data, installed it, then it loads the next part and installs it, and so on, till everything is up-to-date. At least that's the only reason how I could explain a partly updated system like yours. But I wouldn't bet on that when trying to update your DSi cause you never know what it updates first
wink.gif

bach3609

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well it could brick the dsi, but you should try and see if you can make a famous discovery
smile.gif
But i highly doubt it will brick it, since thats pretty much the same as turning off the router of yours. Nice observation xD

Technik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'd not reccomend doing that. I did it and idk what happened, but my flashcart is blocked,i can go to the Shop channel, It says 1.3U and i can't send pics to facebook. I'll live but, just a heads up to those going to try.

Fabis94

Xbawx playa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
So someone needs the exact percentage for this to work. Charmandersrule, i think you stopped at the wrong time where it had already blocked all flashcarts but didn't have the new stuff installed yet.
If we find the right percentage then it will work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol