OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.greenbookhackers.com
XP
Country
NakedFaerie said:
I very highly doubt it as it still has to be ran in DS mode which doesnt have access to the DSi's extra ram.

AFTER the DSi has been hacked and the DSi mode is available to homebrew then come back and ask.
Well that is what I was talking about maybe someone could hack libnds in devkitarm.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hacker07 said:
Maz7006 said:
hacker07 said:
Well that is what I was talking about maybe someone could hack libnds in devkitarm.

Easier said then done, i advise is to just wait.
Yeah maybe a team of genius hackers could do it pretty fast with the right debugging equitment.

Unless you're willing to pay a professional-level commission for the job (pm me if you are, by the way), calm down and be patient.

NakedFaerie

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Australia
HAHAHAHAHA EXACTLY!

I stick to me first comment. WAIT!

They have to hack the DSi mode BEFORE any other hacking can be done.

Thats like saying why isnt there a GBA emulator for DSi yet? Because the DSi mode isnt hacked yet.
Why cant my PS3 play a ISO of a game I got? Same answer. It hasnt been hacked yet.

Unless your going to STFU and do it yourself I suggest you WAIT!

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Meh. The guy plainly doesn't know anything about hacking, but is trying to sound like he does by throwing around words like "libnds" and "devkitarm". I have no problem with people lacking knowledge, but if they're going to run around pretending to know what they're talking about and spreading misinformation, it's probably worth cutting them down to size, for the benefit of the community.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Livin in a box said:
Surely Linux isn't possible with 16MB RAM...and 256MB internal storage...But I know nothing about it.
It's possible on the current DS, which has 4 MB of RAM and uses about 50 MB of storage space. It's also got a lot of useful applications on it, which make it worth looking into. For instance, the ability to browse the web and chat on IRC at the same time. Linux was also possible on the GBA - look into both GBA UNIX and GBA Linux. Couldn't really do anything with either of them, but they booted up and you could do basic commands like "ls" and such. Heck, there's even a Linux toaster.

Point is, the DSi has more than enough resources to run it. However, we first need to get DSi mode cracked, and then there needs to be people dedicated to actually working on the project. All the ones who worked on DSLinux have lost interest, which is somewhat of a major setback.

mechvent

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From my quick perusing of the subject I thought that DSlinux was possible on the DS because of/ and only with a RAM module attached to the GBA port, which the DSi does not have. I assume that this is used as swap. That being said, once the DSi is hacked the SD card will be available for the same purpose, again just an assumption from someone who knows very little about it.

My main question is - What about Android?? I assume that since it is able to run on a mobile phone that it could then run on the DSi?

All just speculation until the real work is done, though, so patiently I wait for the ones who know...... (thank you for your work BTW! Running linux on my DSi would be an awsome thing indeed!
gbasp.gif
)

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
I suspect Android of being pretty unlikely. Even the lowest of the low end phones built for Android far outstrip the DSi in the processing power; the first Android phone, the HTC Dream, has an ARM11 at 528MHz and 192MB of RAM. That said, I have no idea how scalable Android is supposed to be.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mechvent said:
From my quick perusing of the subject I thought that DSlinux was possible on the DS because of/ and only with a RAM module attached to the GBA port, which the DSi does not have. I assume that this is used as swap. That being said, once the DSi is hacked the SD card will be available for the same purpose, again just an assumption from someone who knows very little about it.

Well no, the slot-2 RAM is used as RAM, not swap. The DS cannot do swap because it doesn't have an MMU, so we can't use an SD card in place of RAM. DSLinux as it is will run without any additional RAM but will be severely limited for memory, crashing if you attempt to launch larger programs. It's still enough for text editing and more than likely SSH connections however.

Also I apologize if I made it sound like I've developed for DSLinux myself. I haven't done anything for it, heh, I just use the program.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...