DSi XL Top Screen Vertical Lines

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by SparrowPT, Jan 28, 2017.

1. SparrowPT
    OP

SparrowPT Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2017
    Dominican Republic
    Dominican Republic
    Hello. I got a R4i SDHC 3DS the other day and started using it on my old good DSi XL which i find more enjoyable to play on than on my 2DS.

The problem is, I noticed 1 vertical line on the top screen. Its like from top to bottom on the top screen, a pink line.
    Then I started messing around by squeezing the screen to see if i could find a sensible spot on the screen to eventually fix the line. Nothing.
    After a few hours I noticed another line appeared on my screen. This time, a blue line, right by the other line.
    Now I have 2 vertical lines and I would like to be able to fix this before it gets any worse.
    Also, I noticed the lines change color depending on the color of the image that is showing up. With a black image they go grey or something like that.
    Also noticed that moving the lid back and forth makes the 2nd line appear and disappear.
    I'm guessing its a wire problem, I just want somebody else's opinion on the subject.
    Only happens on the top screen. Bottom is fine.

I have some pictures to make it easier to understand.

What do u guys think I should do to fix it ? I don't mind opening it and disconnecting and reconnecting the wires. I just don't have the tri wing screwdriver at the moment.
    Thanks.

20170128_004306_HDR.jpg 20170128_004312-min.jpg

Last edited by SparrowPT, Jan 28, 2017
  2. justin-dabath

justin-dabath Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2016
    The screen will need replacing as these models have the flex cable fixed to the screen, (the first version DS was easy as the flex cable was replaceable on it's own) i can pretty much guarantee that taking it apart and disconnecting / reconnecting the cables won't fix it - it could make the problem worse, so i'd recommend getting a replacement screen so you can do a straight swap.

3. SparrowPT
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2017
    Dominican Republic
    Dominican Republic
    Doesn't that require soldering ? I'm pretty sure changing the top lcd requires soldering something which is something Im not familiar with.

Last edited by SparrowPT, Feb 10, 2017
  4. SparrowPT
    OP

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2017
    Dominican Republic
    Dominican Republic
    Still looking for some advice on this, I still haven't opened it since im i've been fixing my old ps1 ps2 and psp.

5. nccom

nccom GBAtemp Fan

Feb 9, 2006
    Estonia