Gaming DSi Soft Modding and other Questions

realawill

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to be able to play videos on my DSi. Is this possible? I found Moonshell, but was not clear on if I needed to have the DSi modded. With that being said, I cannot find much on soft modding a DSi. Can you do it like the Wii? I believe I am on 1.4 btw.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
To clarify, there is NO softmodding of any DSi model, you WILL need to buy a flash cart in order to run homebrew.

cardchart.gif

• DS / DS Lite
    The card will work on an original (fat) DS or a DS Lite.
  • DSi / DSi XL
    The card will work on a DSi or DSi XL as well.
  • Game Updates
    Firmware updates are what let cards play newer games, these are the life-blood of the card.
  • SDHC
    SDHC refers to SD cards larger than 2GB (gigabytes). If there's no SDHC support, you can only use SD cards up to 2GB.
  • WiFi Update
    The Acekard 2i can update it's cheats (and get minor bug fixes) over WiFi without having to connect to a computer.
  • AP Bypass
    The DSTwo has special features to ignore AP in most games, letting you play them without having to wait for a firmware update first.
  • RTS
    The Real-Time Save (Save State) function lets you save and reload your game progress at any moment you wish.
  • In-Game Guide
    You can pull up text files and images in-game, in order to check a walkthrough or map you downloaded at any time during a game.
  • Slow Motion
    The card lets you slow down the game speed as you wish.
  • In-Game Cheats
    The card lets you create and modify cheats while the game is running.
  • Special Homebrew
    The card has multiple pieces of special homebrew, such as it's own GBA and SNES emulators, as well as text/PDF reader and video player.
  • Battery Life
    Unfortunately the DSTwo's extra CPU and RAM (which give it the special features) eat into the battery life a bit.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
GreatCrippler said:
Might update your chart Rydian. AK2i has AP bypass these days.
AKAIO's Anti-Anti-Piracy (AAP) is NOT the same thing as the DSTwo's "clean mode".

NormmattIts an attempt at software emulating reads below 8000h which is used to detect flashcarts.
[...]
It will solve the standard read below 8000h checks that are coming out recently
The AP it bypasses is the new "generic AP we'll stick on games" that Nintendo came up with, that's why it's working on new titles. It's not something that can be done on "weaker" carts, it was mentioned the R4 is not capable of it properly, that's why Wood doesn't have that option and is patching the individual games as they come out.

It can currently break single-cart download-play, that's why it's optional (so you can turn it off in order to use that feature), future AKAIO versions will not have the AAP option on the screen once it's fixed up properly.

Yes, I have a copy-paste for this.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
HoTsHoT89 said:
Rydian said:
AKAIO's Anti-Anti-Piracy (AAP) is NOT the same thing as the DSTwo's "clean mode".
May I ask what is the difference of these two methods then?
I already explained AAP is just more AP bypassing in general, what the DSTwo's "clean mode" does is runs the game "clean", without ANY sort of patches or modifications. This means that you can run most games when they come out without having to wait for a patch, but you lose things like soft-reset, cheats, the in-game menus, and all that extra stuff.

Chiverus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
HoTsHoT89 said:
Rydian said:
May I ask what is the difference of these two methods then?
I already explained AAP is just more AP bypassing in general, what the DSTwo's "clean mode" does is runs the game "clean", without ANY sort of patches or modifications. This means that you can run most games when they come out without having to wait for a patch, but you lose things like soft-reset, cheats, the in-game menus, and all that extra stuff.

so if im understanding it right, for some one like me who dosent soft reset (use to the failed itouchds im using right now) and dosent use cheats or any of the flashy stuff most of the cards have, it dosent really matter if i get the acekard 2i with AKAIO or DSTwo. good cause im updating to a new card that dosn't suck lol. also wanted something to bypass or override ap

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Woah woah woah!

The "clean mode" that runs all the new games without the soft-reset and such is NOT on Acekard 2i. It's on the DSTwo, it's NOT what the AAP is.

They are NOT the same thing, they're not even the same concept (outside of getting games to run), that's what I'm trying to say. People saying that AKAIO's AAP is "AP bypass" like the "clean mode" of the DSTwo are wrong, I even posted what I quoted and such in the release thread of AKAIO where AAP was introduced.

DSTwo has Clean Mode. This enables new games at the cost of soft-reset and cheats and in-game menus.
AKAIO has AAP. This is just a new type of AP fixing, it will NOT work on all games, it's currently a little buggy, and it still allows soft-reset and cheats.

The DSTwo's Clean Mode makes more games play because it's an all-around method, whereas AKAIO's AAP is focused on one specific type of AP, however it's focus JUST HAPPENS to be the AP that new games RIGHT NOW are coming out with, which is why it's playing the same new games as the DSTwo.

EDIT: Clean Mode (DSTwo) and AAP (AKAIO/Acekard) are not like Coke and Pepsi. They're like Coke and Iced Tea. They are not the same thing. I'm not saying "they're no the same" for some stupid pedantic political shit, I'm saying they're not the same thing because they're not the same thing. The problem is the only thing people seem to give a fuck about is if something makes their pirated games they worked so hard to download run, so that's all most people are basing their assumption off of, I'm just getting annoyed at having to say "no it's not" in every goddamned thread even though I already posted it, complete with quotes from Normmatt, on the first page of the goddamn release thread.

tl;dr: B'awwwww I'm expecting the average person to read more than the first post of a release thread and I get mad when they don't even though it's nothing abnormal.

HoTsHoT89

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Rydian said:
Woah woah woah!

The "clean mode" that runs all the new games without the soft-reset and such is NOT on Acekard 2i. It's on the DSTwo, it's NOT what the AAP is.

They are NOT the same thing, they're not even the same concept (outside of getting games to run), that's what I'm trying to say. People saying that AKAIO's AAP is "AP bypass" like the "clean mode" of the DSTwo are wrong, I even posted what I quoted and such in the release thread of AKAIO where AAP was introduced.

DSTwo has Clean Mode. This enables new games at the cost of soft-reset and cheats and in-game menus.
AKAIO has AAP. This is just a new type of AP fixing, it will NOT work on all games, it's currently a little buggy, and it still allows soft-reset and cheats.

The DSTwo's Clean Mode makes more games play because it's an all-around method, whereas AKAIO's AAP is focused on one specific type of AP, however it's focus JUST HAPPENS to be the AP that new games RIGHT NOW are coming out with, which is why it's playing the same new games as the DSTwo.

EDIT: Clean Mode (DSTwo) and AAP (AKAIO/Acekard) are not like Coke and Pepsi. They're like Coke and Iced Tea. They are not the same thing. I'm not saying "they're no the same" for some stupid pedantic political shit, I'm saying they're not the same thing because they're not the same thing. The problem is the only thing people seem to give a fuck about is if something makes their pirated games they worked so hard to download run, so that's all most people are basing their assumption off of, I'm just getting annoyed at having to say "no it's not" in every goddamned thread even though I already posted it, complete with quotes from Normmatt, on the first page of the goddamn release thread.

tl;dr: B'awwwww I'm expecting the average person to read more than the first post of a release thread and I get mad when they don't even though it's nothing abnormal.
Besides the rant, I think you have given a very good explanation. I have another question to confirm something that's on my mind as well.

What I remember how flashcarts work is when they load the ROM, they have to perform some sort of modification upon loading to allow the DS to run the game off the cart. However, it is still not a 100% mirror image of the gamecart, therefore ROMs with AP are able to detect if the DS is running off a flashcart, kicking in the protection routines. One of these said routines would probably try to detect the differences, but that's not the case here.

Now with DSTwo's Clean Mode. Is it a method which, I would say, 'emulates' a game cart 100%, therefore any AP measures within the game will not work since the game thinks that it is running off a real game cart? (in other words, APs which does not work due to flashcart detection routines, due to the DSTwo able to, again, emulate a game cart 1:1)

Now I'm very sure of this as well, but Acekard2i WITHOUT any patching (Download Play, Cheats, Soft-reset) != DSTwo's Clean Mode. Now what would be the difference then?

edit: '!=', does not equal. too much programming lol

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Correct, ROMs can detect if they're running on a flash cart various ways.

What happens in most cases is either a patch for the ROM is released to remove that protection, or the flash cart's firmware is updated to automatically patch the game on the fly.

The DSTwo's clean mode does as you think, it emulate the cart fully, so the games can be played without the protection kicking in without you having to wait for a firmware update. Of course since it runs the cart "fully", you lose special features of the flash cart such as cheats and all that jazz.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-