DSi screen defect from factory?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Rablador, Apr 1, 2009.

Apr 1, 2009
  1. Rablador
    OP

Newcomer Rablador Newbie

Japan
    Hi!

I recently bought a Japanese DSi and noticed that whenever you press on the touchscreen you will get a liquid-ish effect in the middle part of the screen. Imagine you touch the screen of a laptop and you will not what I mean. I don't remeber the DS Lite having this "defect". Anyone else who noticed it? Just to make sure it wasn't just on my DSi I also checked on my girlfriend's and it had the same problem. Usually it's not very easy to spot it, but if you go to the screen calibration screen (dark background) you should see it clearly.

Any thoughts?

/Rablador

2. GTScelica93

Newcomer GTScelica93 Member

United States
    Generally the touchscreen is secured in a way that when you use it, it doesn't touch the actual LCD. Unless you press hard, then that is a different story.

I'm curious to know if others are seeing this problem as well, as I'll have mine in a couple days. But I'd assume that this shouldn't happen during 'normal use'.

3. Martiin

Member Martiin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    as long as you have your warranty
    or if you don't already..
    and I might be mistaken, but
    my friend ball2012003 told me you can sign up for a free warranty for your DSi

4. Rablador
    OP

Newcomer Rablador Newbie

Japan
    GTScelica93: Would you mind letting me know how your DSi turns out when you get it? Could be good to know if I should send it back for repair or not...

5. GTScelica93

United States
    Will do. With any luck I'll have it before Sunday, but it looks like I might have wait and pick it up ON release date (damn). Any EUR or AUS owners care to share their experience?

You might try filling out the web support form on Nintendo's website and see what kind of response their support group gives.

6. GTScelica93

United States
    Well, got my DSi today... After a few hours of testing, I never had a problem. The screen never seemed to push up against the LCD.

7. Rablador
    OP

Newcomer Rablador Newbie

Japan
    Hmm, not even on the calibration screen? Weird that both DSi:s that I got had the same problem... I checked the serial number on them and even though they were quite close they had at least a couple of hundred untis between them.

8. George290506

Member George290506 GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    It should be a defect. In your position I would call Nintendo as soon as I can.
    When I bought my DSi I pressed the screen to fit the screen protectors but I didn't see any problem after turning the power on.
    I cannot confirm the problem related to the calibration of the touch screen as I will not use the calibration unless I need it.

9. zero383

Member zero383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    I have an American DSi and there are no liquid effects here on the calibration screen or anywhere else. I tap very gently though. My screen protectors haven't arrived yet so I'm not going to press on it hard [​IMG]

10. samp420

Newcomer samp420 Newbie

United States
    Same problem but on both sides of the screen toward the center. US version black. A friend with a US Blue doesn't have the issue and a friend with a US Black has the problem but way less severe than mine. I'm taking mine back....