Hacking dsi question

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
How are we supposed to know? It's not out yet.
tongue.gif

Nintendo haven't actually said anything about GBA downloads to compensate for no GBA slot.

Jm9760

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually think it's very likely. It would be just like virtual console on wii. There doing dsware, so why not virtual console? They would resell gba games and make more money. Its win-win.

Sir-Fritz

Trophies
XP
Country
Jm9760 said:
I actually think it's very likely. It would be just like virtual console on wii. There doing dsware, so why not virtual console? They would resell gba games and make more money. Its win-win.
I dont think you get it. A ds cant play gba games, a gba and a ds with a gba stuffed into it will play gbagames.

PhillipDS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
The reason why it's not likely is because when they take out the ACTUAL slot, it's because they KNOW for sure that it's useless and non-profitable for them. And even with the updrages on the hardware, I seriously doubt that they're just gonna give away the actual roms for some points, for you to save in your SD card
happy.gif
! Because we all know that the internal memory is not good enough for that kind of thing, it never is!

Jm9760

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sir-Fritz said:
Jm9760 said:
I actually think it's very likely. It would be just like virtual console on wii. There doing dsware, so why not virtual console? They would resell gba games and make more money. Its win-win.I dont think you get it. A ds cant play gba games, a gba and a ds with a gba stuffed into it will play gbagames.

I do get it. Nintendo is perfectly capable of making a gba emulator for ds.

QUOTE(PhillipDS @ Oct 4 2008, 11:32 PM)
The reason why it's not likely is because when they take out the ACTUAL slot, it's because they KNOW for sure that it's useless and non-profitable for them. And even with the updrages on the hardware, I seriously doubt that they're just gonna give away the actual roms for some points, for you to save in your SD card
happy.gif
! Because we all know that the internal memory is not good enough for that kind of thing, it never is!

By taking the slot out it is more profitable to them because they can now resell the gba games for more money, instead of people using the ones they already had. The internal memory + an sd card is enough storage (at least according to them) because it works fine on the wii with virtual console.

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jm9760 said:
By taking the slot out it is more profitable to them because they can now resell the gba games for more money, instead of people using the ones they already had. The internal memory + an sd card is enough storage (at least according to them) because it works fine on the wii with virtual console.
This, and that taking out the GBA slot allows for more space for other hardware, allowing Nintendo to make the device thinner and smaller. Plus the fact that you no longer need to carry around all your GBA cartridges will attract more people to want to buy their games all over again.
smile.gif

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
DanTheManMS said:
Jm9760 said:

This needs explaining. How do you justify this claim?

Because Nintendo know both systems inside out, far better than any homebrew coders can hope to. I can guarantee that the emulators used by Nintendo (and licensed devs) are far better than any of the homebrew emulators. It stands to reason that the people who designed the hardware would be far more capable to make a software emulator for it.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
well, i would imagine that with the removal of the gba slot they have removed the gba electronics that allowed it to play gba games.

its exactly the same reason that the ds can't play gbc/gbo games, but the gba can, its because the gba effectively had most of the electronics a gbc had inside it, just in a miniaturised form.

as for an emulator... well, I don't think the DS is powerful enough to emulate the gba, although i could be wrong

Jm9760

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sir-Fritz said:
DanTheManMS said:
Jm9760 said:

This needs explaining. How do you justify this claim?
If nintendo can do it why cant we?

Are you serious? Nintendo has perfectly working n64 emulators for gamecube and wii (zelda disks for gc and virtual console for wii) and homebrewers haven't even been able to come close to making one that runs at full speed.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS games use the ARM7 and ARM9 to work, so it would stand to reason that the hardware to run GBA games IS still in the DSi since the ARM7 would still be there. The DSi will have some extra internal RAM to run the built-in browser.....who's to say they won't put 32megs of it in there and SELL you GBA downloads? They don't make any profit off of the sales of used GBA games, so they found a way to continue selling them to you through downloads.

In short, I believe the DSi CAN still play GBA games, but you will PAY for them.

HoTsHoT89

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Rayder said:
DS games use the ARM7 and ARM9 to work, so it would stand to reason that the hardware to run GBA games IS still in the DSi since the ARM7 would still be there. The DSi will have some extra internal RAM to run the built-in browser.....who's to say they won't put 32megs of it in there and SELL you GBA downloads? They don't make any profit off of the sales of used GBA games, so they found a way to continue selling them to you through downloads.

In short, I believe the DSi CAN still play GBA games, but you will PAY for them.
If your speculation is correct, then we would be seeing these GBA games stored into the SD Card or internal storage, which would essentially mean that GBA games (probably in a special format by Nintendo) would be playable. It's just a matter of time where people would find exploits to play GBA games that aren't downloaded (if Nintendo is actually offering up GBA games for download at their online store).

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I do think that it'll be able to play downloadable GBA games as well.
Seeing as it will have extra RAM (which is the main reason it's not "doable" with Lite/Phat),it's surely possible.
also, the ARM7 is still there, as it's used by DS games too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: The candy man can