DSi plastic way stronger than DS lite

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by BlackDave, Oct 13, 2009.

Oct 13, 2009
  1. BlackDave
    OP

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    Have you realized how strong the DSi shell is compared to the DS lite?

I always have my DS in my pocket (at work or at school) and I went through 6 DS lites (2 whites and 4 black) and they all ended up having a crack on the hinge (and some touch screen problems on the black). Even the one I traded in at GameStop for the DSi had a crack (only seen on the hinge when open under good light).

Now I have my DSi since sometime around May and I had it in my pocket, my backpack, unprotected, dirty,etc.... but so far.... (October) Nothing has happened to it yet.... no crack or braking (except the L and R button squeaking).

Heck my manager dropped my DSi by accident and nothing happened to it (I had to return it later for R button Issues).

Nintendo did a really good job on the plastic housing of the Nintendo DSi....

Any of you had problems with your DSi during day to day regular uses?

2. Supersonicmonk

Member Supersonicmonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    OMG 6 DS lites how rich are you I had to save 2 years for my DS Lite and my only hope of getting a DSi is buying off a friend, I also treat mine with a bit more care never leaving it without a sleeve or out of case

3. BlackDave
    OP

United States
    I didn't say I bought them... i went trough nintendo like a guy and his xbox 360 with RROD

It was one DS lite at a time.... i just kept sending it because the cracks and ds touch screen problems were covered and happened during that one year warranty

On the other side...my Sister ds lite pink never had any problems (2,5 years old until sold for psp 3000)...i"m jealous

But believe me that I waited looooooong time....i wanted the ds since it came out but could only get it when the lite came out and my father was generous to help me get that one instead of the phat one

Edit: Plus I have a job now (that was the key to my gaming pleasures lol)

4. Supersonicmonk

Member Supersonicmonk GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Fair enough but wow 6 ds lites, you must have some serious bad luck to get through that many

5. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    or he is just careless my ds lite is in pristine condition.

6. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    I've got to admit I thought the same. Six just sounds excessive. I've had my DS lite since June of last year and haven't had any issues with it, actually someone praised the condition of my DS last week. I just take good care of it though admittedly it does reside in a case whilst in my bag and is rarely in my pocket.

7. Krisboo

Newcomer Krisboo Advanced Member

Chile
    I have a Dsi, bought it this July. I'm very happy because i buy it. I have never experienced any problem, but i feel it can break easily ( don't know why, with the DSphat, i didn't feel that way). I always keep the console in it's bag. ( Don't have the money to buy another, i something happens to it :S)

c ya!.

8. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    pretty much the same as me, mine is over a year and a half old and in pretty much perfect condition (excluding the stylus worn down)

9. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    The DSi plastic shell is sturdy. I can testify to that. I don’t like the fact that the shell gets scratched easily. I once dropped in on a concrete floor and gained a few scratches. It isn’t a pretty sight. Only if there was a way to get the scratches off.... The only non-aesthetic problem with my DSi is that the R button only works at particular moments. It hardly works at all in Bowsers Inside Story. :/

10. soulx

Canada
    Perfect condition! I have been treating my DS Lite like a king and the hinge still became loose. Whenever it opens the hinges “moves” backwards all the way (about 40°)
    ----sorry....double post. [​IMG]

11. emigre

Member emigre Has complex motives

United Kingdom
    TBF I can understand that at times, you can treat the DS well and still occur a understandable problem. The hinge becoming loose is one of them as well as as having a dodgy R or L button.

Also I just want boast I have no scratches on either of my DS screens. [​IMG]

12. zeromac

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    yea i've had mine since the start of last year and now its edging towards 2 year mark and its still in good condition [​IMG]

13. Frogman

Member Frogman This could be you!

Australia

try rubbing on the scratches with a wet cloth it worked for me [​IMG]

14. BlackDave
    OP

United States
    Exactly what I was talking about.....

15. CheatingSoi

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    Is there even anything you can do in Browser's Inside Story that requires the R or L button?

16. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    No way. [​IMG] The same thing happened to me. My L and R buttons had issues so I sent it into nintendo. I felt as though the Ds lite was just a slimer Ds console. Which I had. So I didn't buy it. When the Dsi came along I had to get it on the release date. XD I had to send it my Dsi because, Nintendo handles the first warranty then Gamestop handles the second. Yup, only issues are the L and R buttons.

17. Zerousen

Member Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    well mine is still perfect condition. the hinge is also perfectly fine,and i wasnt too overprotective about it.i guess its just about how you take care of it.i always put my ds in my G-PAK
    dsl/dsi game case,and my sister puts it anywhere,now she has a bunch of scratches,and her buttons are messed up,and mine is perfectly free of bad buttons and scratches. [​IMG]

18. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    Ive had my DS lite from day 1,and its perfect except that the "hinge" I guess thats what its called based off what others are saying. Anyways,I was very mad when there was a little hair line crack in it and then the next week it was like a big gap and had no control,while playing games it would sometimes close on my games and go into sleep mode (Yeah,I play while in bed),I hope DSi wont break like that!

19. soulx

Canada
    Nah. I treated my DS Lite like it was "a brotha from anotha motha".

-------------------------

The whole game DEPENDS on it. You have to use it to switch overworld action "commands. Such as jumping, hammering or tunneling.

20. CheatingSoi

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    Oh yeah totally forgot about that [​IMG]