Gaming DSi or 3DS?

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We have four DSLites and realise it is time to upgrade them (Christmas presents)..

I had planned on upgrading to DSi, they seemed the best bang for the buck (plays
all the games we have now, a few added extras, same size (not XL), not as good
battery life)..

But now I see several games are 3DS only.. Is it inevitable that eventually all
new games coming out will be 3DS only?

My kids aren't too keen on the 3DS (at least what we've seen in the store), but
knowing how technology marches on, it seems like we should jump to it even if
we just keep playing the NDS and gameboy games we play now.. Knowing
we can play 3DS only games is a plus..

Worth going to 3DS, of stay with DSi? They are about the same price..
We use Supercard dsTwo..

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If you're stump between a dsi or 3ds, get a 3ds. The price dropped, so it's not much of a pain anymore. Both dsi and 3ds have backwards compatibility to ds games, so you'll have your whole ds collection available for you. With a 3ds, you'll also be able to play 3ds games. The ds/dsi is pretty much dying, so I'm pretty sure most games will be coming to the 3ds instead of the ds (especially now that 3ds sales has increased).

EDIT: also, both dsi/3ds can block flashcarts, so having one or the other won't really change compatibility of flashcarts (unless ninty stops supporting the dsi, which is likely to come soon).

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
3DS is so much more worth it. DS lite to DSi is almost a downgrade. Maybe a few more games will be released for the original DS line, but soon new games will be 3DS-only. I don't use it on mine, but Supercard DSTWO does work on 3DS as long as your card is updated. There are some downsides to playing DS games on a 3DS but for the most part I'd say 3DS is more worth your money. Most people here will probably agree.

Tom

Gbatemp's Unofficial Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i was not impressed with my dsi, very little games use the dsi features if you wanna upgrade go with the 3ds its worth it

azure0wind

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Get yourself a 3DS its worth it, DSiWare suck (well, not all wares suck), also DSi games wasn't that good.

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I didn't realize there has been nothing hacked on the 3DS..

That definitely puts a damper on things.. :(

lestatbytes

leaving without a trace..
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I didn't realize there has been nothing hacked on the 3DS..

That definitely puts a damper on things.. :(

go with 3DS - latest tech + price drop, no comparison to DSi

too early for hack/s for 3DS..

u can play nds games using r4i/or other cards u prefer - just dont update yet to latest fw - besides they(flashcart scene) will come up with fix for this if u know what i mean.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
3DS definitely, you'll have a lot more scope and will last a lot longer into the future. Everything you can do on a DSi you can do on a 3DS and more.

Also, don't ever not buy a 3DS based on the fact that you don't like the 3D, just look at the 3D as an extra.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bought the 3DS back when it was $250 and haven't regretted getting it instead of a DSi/XL (though I barely touch it these days)... The price drop just makes it even better.
And as other people have said, just don't update and then use an updateable DSi flashcard. Works fine for me.

Daidude

Puzzled
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a DSi which I upgraded from my DS phat in 2009 but next month I'm planning on getting a 3ds because I think it is much better than the DSi from the experience I have gained from using it and it has a lot of potential with all of the updates it's going to be receiving over the next few years, so personally if they are both around the same price you should obviously go with the 3ds

3DPiper

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since the 3DS isn't hacked yet, are games downloadable from system to system? For instance, we will be buying four. Can I buy one Mario game and the other three download it so they can all play together? I'd rather buy four different games than four of the same game!

xxNathanxx

Trophies
XP
Country
New Caledonia
Depends on which games you're talking about. Mario Kart DS can be played with four using only one game cart (via Download Play), New Super Mario Bros. can be played with two using only one game cart (again, via Download Play). Usually, this is stated on the back of the game's box somewhere. I'm pretty sure Super Mario 3D Land is single player, but Mario Kart 7 will have Download Play for at least four people (I think I read somewhere you should be able to play with eight, though maybe that's only when everyone has a game cart).

Ask someone at the shop if the games you're willing to buy allow for Download Play.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: With uremum