ROM Hack DSi Homebrew possible using DSi store?

Van_Xan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok first I didnt write this im only posting it here to see if its possible, second, I dont have the file so dont ask, the third reason why im posting is cuz i want a web browser that works
hate2.gif

heres the link
QUOTE said:
Hi, I'm new here. I had an idea about possibly running homebrew on the DSi through the DSi store. Here it is:

I've been messing around with my DSi and the DSi store. I hooked up a secondary wireless router to my computer that has 2 nics and captured the packets while the DSi browser was downloading. It looks like the DSi pulls the downloads via standard HTTP, and I was even able to download a file from a url I got from a packet. The file is called 00000000 (with no extension). I'm pretty sure this file contains the DSi browser. I copied the browser program from the DSi onto the memory card and it is almost the same size as the 00000000 file. The difference, is that in the file I copied off of the DSi, I can do a relative search in a hex editor and find strings that are in the DSi browser, such as "Opera". In the 00000000 file, I cannot find any strings from the browser, which leads me to believe it is encrypted and when the DSi downloads it, it is decrypted right on the system. I would like to decrypt the file, replace some strings, re-encrypt it, and put it on the DSi as a proof of concept, but I have no experience with encryption. I figure since I know the exact url of the file the DSi downloads, I might be able to run a rogue DNS server on my LAN and trick the DSi into downloading the modified file. I figure if I get something like that to work, it would open the door to homebrew without a flashcart because a homebrew launcher could be downloaded by tricking the DSi into thinking that it is downloading a Nintendo app from the DSi store. I have no experience with encryption, does anyone have any ideas on how to decrypt/re-encrypt the file?

If anyone wants to take a shot at the encryption, pm me. I have the file I pulled using the computer, the file copied from the DSi's internal memory, and the url I got the 00000000 file from.

One interesting thing I found while hexing the file: in the column that displays the text representation, towards the beginning of the file, there are symbols that look like they spell out "Voltage", I don't know if this is a coincidence or not. (I don't know if this will display right but the actual string was "VÓlt©ge")

By the way, while I was copying the browser app to the memory card, I noticed that the menu has the option to copy apps from the card to internal memory, but when I try to do it it won't let me. If anyone knows a way around this, I would love to know.

p.s. Im using Acekard 2i+dsi+firmware 1.3(USA)(and bought my dsi after the newest update so I cant get the browser
mad.gif
)

Fatboy12345236

Trophies
XP
Country
I think It's possible. Maybe there could be something like the Twilight Hack! xD There already is! We could redirect it to the SD Slot and that's where our homebrew is! We already got into DSi Mode!

Van_Xan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fatboy12345236 said:
I think It's possible. Maybe there could be something like the Twilight Hack! xD There already is! We could redirect it to the SD Slot and that's where our homebrew is! We already got into DSi Mode!
Wait someone hacked the dsi or the ds emulated mode on the dsi, or are you explaining the steps to making this work?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Its certainly possible but there is a huge flaw.

The file is encrypted/decrypted using the DSi's Common Key which we do not have. Once we get a hold of that it may be possible but until then we're kind of stuck

iwakura

HHNNNNNNGGGG
Trophies
Website
flashcartreviews.com
XP
Country
United States
Van_Xan said:
Fatboy12345236 said:
Wait someone hacked the dsi or the ds emulated mode on the dsi, or are you explaining the steps to making this work?

Just from the few bits and pieces that I've read, the DSi itself has already been hacked, but so far isnt possible with only a flash cart. It requires some serious know-how and completely ripping apart your DSi and not putting it back together
tongue.gif

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait, you can't download the DSi Internet Browser?
ohmy.gif

so if I buy a DSi sometime this month, I also wont be able to download it?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
iwakura said:
Van_Xan said:
Fatboy12345236 said:

Just from the few bits and pieces that I've read, the DSi itself has already been hacked, but so far isnt possible with only a flash cart. It requires some serious know-how and completely ripping apart your DSi and not putting it back together
tongue.gif

What? no. There is a save hack for some game or other, look on youtube, Gemesis already has a DSi-mode homebrew game running.

-- Ripping apart a ds to run code, where do people hear this crap?!

injected11

Crescent Fresh™
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
vergilite said:
Escape said:
wait, you can't download the DSi Internet Browser?
ohmy.gif

so if I buy a DSi sometime this month, I also wont be able to download it?

NO! of course you will be able to download the browser i don't know what that other guy is talking about
sleep.gif
You need to access the DSi shop to download the browser. When you try to access the shop, it forces an update. If you bought the DSi after the 1.4 update was released, you need to update to download the browser. The OP didn't want to update and block his cart.

Van_Xan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@Escape
I didnt want the update to block my flash cart, if you buy a dsi it will be 1.3, if you want the Opera web browser you need to update to 1.4, which blocks all flash carts at the moment, am I not right smarter people than me?

@Vergilite
I know what I'm talking about, you just cant comprehend my bad English
biggrin.gif

@Spinal
Ok let me rephrase that, there is no dsi hack that us newbies can get with out making it our selves, after all we are newbies.
And iwakura was being sarcastic.

Melly Pix

Gbatemp's Lady Vulpix
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It'd be nice to rip the dsi games from the SD card or built in memory of DS to the computer and upload to the internet
But I don't know any tools to do so.
And I wouldn't do it myself XD
but it'd be convenient, that way we wouldn't have to go through the whole dsi shop hacking :\

Escape

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Van_Xan said:
@Escape
I didnt want the update to block my flash cart, if you buy a dsi it will be 1.3, if you want the Opera web browser you need to update to 1.4, which blocks all flash carts at the moment, am I not right smarter people than me?

wrong.
most flash carts bypassed the protection a long time ago -.- including the AK2i.
you sure aren't updated.

Van_Xan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@Escape
Go a head and buy a dsi with any flash cart and try it then tell me what happend I've already tried this with my friends dsi so, the only cart that has made progress on the new update is the R4i, but we cant download it yet so...

EDIT: I'm sorry, looks like on the AK2i forums theres a unofficial update.

Strider

Next to the mainstream
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Regarding the original post: you're making some very wrong assumptions. Encryption doesn't work like that. Of course, you could use your own router to direct your DSi to try to download anything, but possibly hashes and keys are being used and verified. So no dice - I strongly assume the DSi checks the encryption signature of the files and won't install anything not signed by nintendo.

And cracking that... good luck.

Edit: also, I assume that's why they use plain http. No need for the SSL overhead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/ZQhiwti-pK0?si=LTqU_S8Xm2fYnlQg