DSi emulation

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by tengusoldier, Aug 21, 2009.

Aug 21, 2009

DSi emulation by tengusoldier at 2:48 AM (1,177 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. tengusoldier
    OP

Member tengusoldier GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    So what are all the emulators I can actually have on my DSi?

also, now that no Slot-2 exists AT ALL for it, and thus not being able to check if a GBA cart is in tehre to run games, do you guys think it is feasible for a GBA emulator to appear for DSi?

2. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    only the emulators that are already available on DS as DSi mode is still restricted to the classic word games/my cooking coach save file exploit
    nes, snes(not all games work), ScummVM(not an emulator but w/e), gameboy/color, etc..

no GBA

3. tengusoldier
    OP

Member tengusoldier GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    Thanks...but, is the DSi nt able to emulate a GBA with it's power? I n;t see how they can't.

4. anaxs

Member anaxs got milk, got candy

Canada
    it is able to but not right now
    nintendo has said that they will release vc 's of gba games so i bet dsi has the power to run gba games

5. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    It does have the power, but that doesn't matter because no one has figured out how to bypass the DSi's protection yet.

I don't think it's powerful enough either, but if Nintendo is releasing GBA games on VC, then it has to be possible. Though it may just end up like N64 emulation on the Wii, possible but unplayable.

6. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Saying "It does have the power" is still a bit of a stretch. Dwedit (aka the guy who made the GBC emulator for the GBA, aka Guy Who Knows What He's Talking About) once said that if a GBA emulator was made for the DS, it would most likely run at 1fps or less. The DSi is more powerful, yeah, but not THAT much more powerful. Emulation would still be very difficult to get at anything resembling a playable speed.

True, DSi mode hasn't been fully hacked yet, but it's not like a GBA emulator is just going to pop up once it is. I still believe that the DSi isn't powerful enough to do it, personally.

7. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    It doesn't really need to "emulate" it, since there's already the ARM7 processor built-in. It just remains to be seen if a sort of GBA mode can be activated on the DSi.

8. vergilite

Member vergilite GBATemps Regular Clown

United Kingdom
    i it not possible that the dsi does not have the power for gba but instead nintendo will port the gba games to a format easier for the ds to process ???

9. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    The more pressing issue is whether the DSi's 16 MB of internal RAM can be accessed from GBA mode. If so, then what you're saying might be possible. If not, then there's nowhere on the DSi that's fast enough for the GBA games to run correctly.

10. Da-Bomb1

Member Da-Bomb1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Due to the way GBA games are, you can't easily "port" one over to the DS short of a complete rewrite of the code. That's WAY to much work for a simple VC thing.

And we don't even know if there's a specific "GBA mode." We might just have to just use the ARM7 processor and the extra RAM in another way.