DSi bootrom dumped andnew exploit disclosed @37th CCC

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Apparently the conference where it was accepted is being really slow with their proceedings, sigh...

Anyway, I've attached a PDF of the proceedings version, enjoy.
Thank you! Downloading it rn.

I'm sure I'll learn a lot from this!

Edit:
You used LaTeX to create/edit it?

Last edited by CMDreamer,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you can!
This fork of ntrboot_flasher_nds does just that, and should work on Ace3DS+, Acekard2i, and DSTT.
https://github.com/Epicpkmn11/ntrboot_flasher_nds/tree/twl

Next step would be to find a GCD ROM to use.

Could try and use the bootloader SRL used with HiyaCFW as a source for building the GCD rom as a way to test things? (as they are basically patched arm binaries from stage2 section of nand) I imagine the arm binaries are similar to the ones on stage2 section of nand and I think the entry addresses used check out for this.

Reactions: SylverReZ

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Could try and use the bootloader SRL used with HiyaCFW as a source for building the GCD rom as a way to test things? (as they are basically patched arm binaries from stage2 section of nand) I imagine the arm binaries are similar to the ones on stage2 section of nand and I think the entry addresses used check out for this.
Next future step: Get the N-Cards/DS Linker running ntrboot. 🤣

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Next future step: Get the N-Cards/DS Linker running ntrboot. 🤣
That would be cool but I'm about 80% sure the blowfish key is hardcoded in the blob chip. It's not on nand last I checked....Unless the blob chip dynamically generates the blowfish key depending on the game code the main rom uses ...but I doubt that. :(

Reactions: SylverReZ

JORGETECH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Yes, you can!
This fork of ntrboot_flasher_nds does just that, and should work on Ace3DS+, Acekard2i, and DSTT.
https://github.com/Epicpkmn11/ntrboot_flasher_nds/tree/twl

Next step would be to find a GCD ROM to use.
Is the GCD ROM something that was used in the factory to flash the console or something like that? I guess this is what @PoroCYon meant with the new exploits that were being discovered.

I also wanted to know if the ntrboot flasher for TWL works in "www.r4isdhc.com" carts, I did use those kind of flashcarts for 3DS ntrboot and they work just fine.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the GCD ROM something that was used in the factory to flash the console or something like that? I guess this is what @PoroCYon meant with the new exploits that were being discovered.
No idea.
I also wanted to know if the ntrboot flasher for TWL works in "www.r4isdhc.com" carts, I did use those kind of flashcarts for 3DS ntrboot and they work just fine.
It does not work for those carts, or any other Demon/timebomb flashcard, due to issues related to the blowfish.

Reactions: JORGETECH

JORGETECH

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
It does not work for those carts, or any other Demon/timebomb flashcard, due to issues related to the blowfish.
Oh well, I wonder if the Ace3DS X is compatible, it seems like it's the card that is being offered right now by most sellers on sites like Aliexpress.

EDIT: It could be my fault for not finding the Ace3DS+, Aliexpress search sucks.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
No idea.

On the subject of the demon timebomb carts. I found out how the blowfish is setup on mine. The 48 byte chunk starts at 0x1000 in the dump with the rest the exact spacing it would normally be if the entire rom was at 0x1000. (so the main blowfish is at 0x2000.

But there's another copy of the blowfish at 0x1F1000 where the header for the game is placed. (that one I'm unsure if it uses...probably does).

Not sure why it has two copies but you could try updating them both. I may attempt this myself. The test GCD should fit in the 0x1F1000 region without me having to worry about the arm7 binary since that is stored right next to the arm9 binary. I'd have to edit the header otherwise and that would be tricky to do since I'd have to resign it and I'm not setup for that currently. But you could give this ago on your end too and see if that works.

By the way the second copy of the blowfish looks like the setup the GCD uses. But the first copy at 0x1000 has some unrelated data in between the first 48 byte chunk and the rest instead of zero data...not sure what that other data is used for...

EDIT: Yep it worked. I have already let Robz know about this. ;)

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: People's funny bones are the same taste indeed