1. belmont

belmont GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    Can somebody confirm if Action Replay DSi works in the new FW?
    Thanks in advance.

2. adgloride

adgloride Its A Wii Wario

Not sure how this all works, I'm guessing Nintendo actually block the game ID and the cartridge won't boot. The game ID is then altered when you update to the latest firmware and it works again. All Nintendo do on the next update is change the game ID again. Why not release software that will generate a random game ID and build the firmware to flash to the cartridge. Then Nintendo will have a harder time blocking it.

3. machomuu

machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    There is the chance that they may turn to harsher methods if that happens.

4. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Actually no. There might not be that many left after all means are tested. Not every game works AFAIK and thus may end up making quite a bit of problems with some carts.

-Qtis

5. kenpachi

kenpachi Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So if they blocked the alex stormrider from working on the acekard a long time ago, why was supercard ds two able to use it again with their 1.4.2 update??? are you people sure that these explaoitable games can't be manupulated multiple times to keep working? seems like alex stormrider was.

6. Supercard Team doesn't even make you flash a new firmware.
    It only makes you switch over a file on the microSD and it works again.

7. kenpachi

kenpachi Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So the supercard method will work forever? Well then what are we bitching about? everyone just buy a supercard and be done with it right? or the other manufactures can release a new hardware revision that uses the same method? I mean, really, who can't afford 10-40 bucks for a new cart? You'd spend that one a single aaa game at the store.

8. Gh0sti

Gh0sti iOS Guru

United States
    good freakin greif i havent updated my dsi since 1.4.1, i still dont have a reason to im now going to have to wait to update my flashcarts to support this version i wonder what next game header the teams are going to use

9. David_MKD

David_MKD Member
    Newcomer

Saint Kitts and Nevis
    can anyone confirm does R4i SDHC 1.4 flashed to v1.4.2 works on this FW?

10. Another World

Another World Emulate the Planet!
    Former Staff

Colombia
    my theory is that they are stringing along the pirates and homebrew users. by blocking a few at a time and by not attempting to block the way the 1st generation of flash kits work, it keeps people in our community buying the hardware. the longer they string us along the more hardware sales they have.

-another world

11. I doubt that.
    When you change the files for EOS to make it work for the newest firmware, it just changes the exploit for that game header.
    Eventually they'll run out of exploits for that game and will have to find another.

12. huangyu

huangyu Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Quote from acekard site

Please do not update your DSi to 1.4.3

Please do not update your DSi to 1.4.3 until we release update file for Ak2i. Thank you.

looks like we need to wait a longer time Again !

13. It doesn't say the update will take a year.
    It simply warns people not to update until they release their fix.

14. Krestent

Krestent What to post?

United States
    Notice a pattern?

15. Evo.lve

Evo.lve All that you could be.

The DSi(XL) and the 3DS have (AFAIK) 2 different checks (by which I mean there are 2 checks for each system, not the DSi having one and the 3DS having another). The first is for the header - if it passes it moves onto the next check. The next check queries the cart for information and a real legit cart of Danny Phantom or Star Wars or Alex Rider or Tak or whatever responds with the correct data, from the correct location. First generation flashcarts such as the Acekard cannot do this - they rely on an exploit to make the DSi "think" they have the correct data or something like that, whereas second generation flashcarts such as the Supercard use software response compared to 1st Gen's hardware response - they fake a header and respond with the correct information regardless.

16. perkele

perkele GBAtemp Regular

Finland
    If they release an update every day, it'll take about 15 years to use up all known headers.

Also I wonder how much flashcard sellers are charging their customers to upgrade their flashcard for them.
    Nintendo is helping them make money.

17. jurassicplayer

jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Not all headers are usable...actually most aren't usable. So it's a lot shorter than 15 years...a lot shorter.

18. Another World

Former Staff

Colombia
    one of the teams told me directly that the scds2 uses the new method. the file itself doesn't matter, as it is a valid icon so it passes check 1. for check 2 the system queries the game cart for data. the developers simply find out what new data its asking for and update their response system. after both checks pass the firmware layer can be booted.

in theory it should work forever or at least until nintendo stops supporting the dsi.

-another world

19. Evo.lve

Evo.lve All that you could be.

So, let me confirm - software response is unblockable?

20. Another World

Former Staff

Colombia
    i've had the programmers of two different teams tell me that they can continue to update what data the card responds with forever.

Draft saved Draft deleted