DSi 1.4.3 is out!

Sop Jun 30, 2011.

1. Phoenix Goddess

Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

Apr 25, 2009
    United States
    Away from civilization.
    Feel free to ridicule, but no one's forcing anyone to update.

2. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica
    Didn't the first post say the DSTwo was confirmed as working just a little while ago?

What about those that already have Cave Story?
    (But Cave Story 3DS is better anyway.)

3. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    Frankly this is nothing but one big dick move.
    "This update doesn't actually add anything, but if you like to use a flashcart, we'll punish you by not letting you BUY our DSiWare!"

4. Forstride

Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

May 6, 2008
    United States
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah! Shame on Nintendo for protecting their system from pirates! What dicks!

Idiot.

5. Demonstryde

Demonstryde GBAtemp Fan

Aug 22, 2010
    United States
    one thing i could never get over was how flash carts ruined online fps for nds.. being a flashcart user i hated playing legit against someone with the name AK2i and hacking the frishizzile out of every online match...granted this would have blocked me also if i kept my dsi or continued to use in my 3ds but it solves the online gaming issue, and hopefully in he future they will learn how to improve online bans for cheating, if there were updates to block only cheats i would be 100% in favor.

6. Red_Gh0st

Red_Gh0st GBAtemp Regular

Oct 24, 2010
    United States
    Puerto Rico
    Another update?! Damn they're fast now!

7. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Antarctica
    Is there even any good DSiWare?
    If there is, then chances are you would already have bought them anyway.

8. Nimbus

Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

Nov 1, 2009
    Probably being lazy.
    Wish there was a facepalm emoticon right now....I really can't seem to get my real point across to anyone.

I'm not speaking on the side of Pirates, and the fact that their Flashcards dont work now. Thats not the side I really care about.

I'm speaking per the fact that this is yet another update that does nothing significant, if anything at all, and is masked by a lie that it does improve performance. This is unacceptable, at least in my personal oppinion, as thats like Ubuntu releasing an update that changes nothing at all about the OS, but claiming that it halves boot time and makes you use half as much ram. It's just one big blatent lie, and to have people believe it is just more proof that Nintend of America has become abusive and uncaring to their original customer base.

Someone please confirm this for me, this update doesn't make your system any more efficient or faster, does it? I'm gonna feel smug if I'm right on this, and to be honest I suspect that I already am.

9. machomuu

machomuu Drops by occasionally

Sep 4, 2009
    United States
    The Courtroom
    Cave Story, Aura Aura Climber, Castle Defense, Shantae, Mario vs. Donkey Kong...

10. doyama

doyama GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 30, 2006
    United States
    I think there's probably a multi-pronged approach to this.

1) By enabling more stuff on the DSi/3DS shop, they hope to encourage users to continually update in order to access such material

2) Psychologically this makes updating your handheld a 'routine' thing rather than something you do once a decade if that

3) With the current DSi strategy, they are relying on the selfish nature of the flashcart makers to use UNIQUE icons per cart. This effectively means that you burn several exploits for each update. It would be better if flashcart makers agreed upon which game will work for everyone so that you're not burning 5-10 icons for every firmware update.

4) This incurs an additional inconvenience for the 'hacking consumer'

5) This forces flashcart makers to have people on staff to at least try and update their product every time an update comes out. Before they were just copying something then just letting the units fly out the door as fast as they could assemble them.

6) Forces flashcart makers to waste money if they can't update their products and need to create a new 'line' to sell another product. If you update often enough, then even greedy flashcart makers that make you buy a new one after each update, actually start losing money due to wasted inventory and constant revisions.

11. PeregrinFig

PeregrinFig A miserable little pile of secrets

Jun 18, 2010
    United States
    Michigan
    Even though Team Supercard generally gets fixes out quickly, I have never updated my DSi since I bought it. I just see no reason to; they never give you any actual improvements, just more attempts at blocking flashcards. And since I don't buy any DSiWare anyway, there are literally no advantages to me updating my firmware.

12. machomuu

Sep 4, 2009
    United States
    The Courtroom
    I understand what your saying, and I think there should be a facepalm for someone calling something as trivial as that a "dick move".

13. Thesolcity

Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

Oct 2, 2010
    United States
    San Miguel
    FFFFFF I have to send my XL in. Oh wait, this means I can laugh at all the retards who bought the cheap cards that no longer work. Oh SHI- they'll spam us for a fix. This isn't lulzy at all.

14. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    Speaking of which, has the M3i Zero even had a compatibility update for DSi 1.4.2 or the latest 3DS firmwares?
    Can the cart be considered truly dead now? Good riddance if so.

15. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Didn't Smiths say something about there only being a handful of DS games that can be spoofed? Maybe the N knows this and wants to force flashcard teams to run out of games they can use.

Another possibility is that this update was primarily intended for stabilizing the DSiWare transfer feature and the N said "What the hell" and threw in some AP for good measure.

so many possibilities . . .

16. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    Sort of on the wrong forum to be using that, aren't you?

17. Thesolcity

Oct 2, 2010
    United States
    San Miguel
    You know what I don't understand? In the whole holy hell of DSi updates, I've never seen the Action Replay DSi blocked. Although as far as I know, it spoofs a game just like any DSi flashcard. Why is this? Or am I dead wrong about the set ups of Flashcards and Action Replay DSi's?

18. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Maybe Nintendo doesn't want to upset Gamestop, who sells ARdsi's

19. Thesolcity

Oct 2, 2010
    United States
    San Miguel
    I'm surprised no one has copied it too.

20. machomuu

Sep 4, 2009
    United States
    The Courtroom
    Probably because it's sold retail.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted