Homebrew DS2x86 (SCDS2 Entry)

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Np at all and I just read the wiki regarding the debug logs. Was expecting some complicated way to gather them and report it. But considering it was alot easier to do than I originally thought. I'll try and send them as often as I can :)
I'll send the ones I tested from the list (hopefully will save you some time) and two new ones:

Raptor - Blew my trumpet too soon on this one. Game works perfectly, but in Area 6 of Sector 1, it closed itself for the first time with an 'unsupported opcode' error. It closes itself after about 30-60min of Gameplay now.

Knights of Xentar - Seems to work perfectly apart from one problem that also happens every 30-60min. In the gamescreen window (reported from the game itself) it says 'Ran out of XMS Memory' and then errors out.

Luigi728

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ehm, I've been struggling for a while now, but I can't seem to get it to work on my DSTWO.
Could someone please tell me the exact steps to put this on my flashcart?
Thanks in advance!

amaro999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Have you followed the instructions here: http://dsx86compatib...ons%20For%20Use

Which step do you have trouble with? Does the plain DSx86 work OK, so you only have trouble with DS2x86?

Pate

I understand the steps for DSx86, but how do I install DS2x86? When I downloaded it, it had different files in the download than the normal one.

Just copy the Plg file, Bmp icon and Ini file into the "_dstwoplug" folder in the root of your microsd. If you do not have a _dstwoplug just create one and put the files inside. After that the DS2x86 plug-in will show up in the Supercard TWO menu.

amaro999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You've come a long way since I last gave it a ride :). Now that it seems the sound emulation is almost at a very good state, I decided to try a few games:

Little Big Adventure - Not working Tried it again and it actually managed to get to the menu. But as soon as you press any button, it will freeze. So yea.

I played a few hours LBA and it seem to be working perfectly. Pate told me how to overcome the "key press freeze" problem. I reproduce it here:

1) Start LBA on DS2x86, and let it run up to the initial "Little Big Adventure" splash screen.

2) Press a key, so that LBA hangs.

3) Click on the X button on the top right of the virtual touchpad keyboard, to drop into the debugger.

4) Click on the bottom row characters to type the following after the - prompt: E158:159D79 2

5) Click on the rightmost v character on the bottom row in the debugger (this is Enter). If you make a mistake and need to retype something, use the < character (meaning backspace). Remember the blank before the last 2 in the command!

6) DS2x86 debugger should reply with: E 0158:159D79 02

7) Give the command G (for Go) using the bottom row, and click on the rightmost v

8) Now the game should continue and allow you to use the keyboard normally.

9) This only changes the instance that is running, so the next time you start LBA you need to do this again. But, this might allow you to test LBA further."

In any case, the next version of DS2x86 does not make LBA hang after a keypress.

Pate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The instructions above work only with the exact same version of LBA I have. If your version differs, you may need to hunt down the actual location to change.

I just posted instructions on how to do that on my blog at http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com, so if you are interested feel free to experiment with those instructions.

In any case, the next DS2x86 version will have this problem fixed.

Pate

Master_Thief

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A little late, but I finally got a chance to try 0.34.

Changes:
BC Racers - Playable - Works, though a little slow.
Big Red Adventure - Partially Working - Now gets ingame, but gives continuous int33 errors (can sometimes skip them, sometimes not).
Cannon Fodder - Playable - Works complete with sound.
Dark Forces - Partially working - Gets ingame and worked for a few minutes (though quite slowly), then gave an "unsupported opcode".
Ecstatica - Partially Working - Didn't encounter any freezing error in the intro, gets ingame fine but none of the controls work.
Jack The Ripper - Playable - Works, though it uses 640 screen resolution so is difficult to play.
Lemmings 3 - Partially Working - Now gets ingame, but has graphics issues with the sprites.
Witchaven 2 - Playable - Works, though is extremely slow (1 frame every 5 seconds or so).

Logfile

Pate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
DS2x86 version 0.35 released!

This version has the following fixes and improvements:
- Improved keyboard emulation (fixes Little Big Adventure hang after key press).
- Improved SVGA mode scaling quality.
- Fixed SoundBlaster DMA channel masking (fixes Mortal Kombat sound effects).
- Implemented opcode AAM in protected mode (Warcraft 2 Setup - System info).
- Fixed a BSOD problem when moving mouse in Warcraft 2 and Command & Conquer.
- Improved BSOD error reporting, no more partial exception messages.
- Implemented support for 80x50 text mode (Little Big Adventure Setup).
- Implemented mouse function INT 33 AX=00A1 (Knights of Xentar).
- Fixed a problem in AdLib hardware detection (Warcraft 2).

http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com

@[member='Master_Thief']: Thanks for the log and error report! I did not have time to look into those for this version, but I'll see if I can fix some of those in the next version.

Thanks again for your continued testing and interest in DS2x86!

Pate

Reactions: 1 person

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Never in my wildest dreams did I ever thought of playing LBA on the Nintendo DS. Hearing the LBA theme again brought so many memories back. If I could, I'd build you a statue Patrick :)
Once I started LBA (US Ver), an error popped up once it reached the main menu, but selecting 'G' and going anyways made it work. I didn't manage to get the sound effects working (maybe related to the error), but music works just fine.
Gameplay was a little slow, but once I set all the settings to a minimum, it's working extremely well.

Also, the previous problem Masters of Magic was having by erroring out when it was generating the world with sound on, is fixed now.

Good work as always!

slenkar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,
thanks for the latest version
A couple of Int10 errors when task switching from a game to windows
http://pastebin.com/P7kEYJqd

Alien Legacy continuously prints options to the screen in DOS text mode and doesnt accept any input

Pate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
@[member='Killermech']: Thanks! :) Remember to select IRQ 7 (not the default IRQ 5) when configuring SoundBlaster for LBA. The SB sound effects worked for me in LBA, but of course there could be some LBA-version-related differences.

@slenkar: Sorry, I didn't have time to to look into Alien Legacy for this version yet. I'll try to check it before the next version...

Pate

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@[member='Pate']: Yea, the IRQ wasn't the issue. I just started to try the different Sound Blasters (since there were like 3-4 different original ones) and managed to get one of them working =)
Game crashed after about 5min of gameplay though.

scotch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys, Having read some of the posts regarding little big adventure, and after checking it out on youtube (looks great!), i tried to get it to run on DS2x86, but for some reason its hanging after the intialising stage?is there something i need to do in the game setup besides the IRQ-7 thing?ive gotten fury of the furries working fine so im at a bit of a loss.cheers

scotch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finally got Little Big Planet working by disabling both music and fx and saved the parameters - i dont think i was originally doing this so no wonder i was struggling!, and getting rid of my ds2.ini file from the dsx86 folder- i got an error saying there was a problem in the 2nd line of this.oh and changing my version of the game.Anyway just a heads up for anyone struggling with this..Scotch

Pate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
DS2x86 version 0.36 released!

This version has the following fixes and improvements:
- Implemented "rep stosd" for Mode-X with irregular map mask (Micro Machines 2)
- Forced INT 15 AH=88 to report no extended memory (Borland RTM DOS Extender)
- Implemented "LAST_FIT" memory allocation strategy handling (Borland RTM DOS Extender)
- Implemented "LES reg,m16:16" page fault handling (Borland RTM DOS Extender)
- Implemented INT 21 AH=4D proper return mode reporting (Borland RTM DOS Extender)
- Improved SB emulation to not hang after invalid SB command (Jazz Jackrabbit)
- Implemented support for reading data from file to Mode-X VRAM (Jazz Jackrabbit)
- Implemented proper AdLib timer handling (Mortal Kombat etc SB detection)
- Fixed a bug in ARM9 SB audio buffering scheme (Mortal Kombat, Supaplex, etc)

http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com

Sorry slenkar, I forgot to check Alien Legacy.. I'll try to remember it for the next version!

Pate

Luigi728

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'm sorry to bother you again, but I still can't get it working. I downloaded dsx86, created the needed folders, copied the files from ds2x86 to their location and then I run dsx86.nds.
It's the only executable file related to the emulator that I can find, so I think I need to use that one, right?
But when I start it, it just shows 'dsx86 0.41'. Is that supposed to happen?
I tried Jazz Jackrabbit anyway, but it crashed after selecting sound settings. I can't give an error report now (I'm using a sort-of smartphone to post this), but is the version thing normal?
Or did I do something wrong?
Thanks in advance!

Pate

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
@[member='Luigi728']: Looks like you are attempting to run the plain DSx86 instead of DS2x86. You should get the DS2x86 icon on the DSTwo menu, so do not select "DS_GAME" but select the "DS2:\>" directly from the DSTwo menu (or if you use BAGPlug, from it's menu).

Hope this helps!

Pate

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw