Hacking DS-X + Corrupted .sav files DDD< Everytime damnit!

Ochi-Nu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uh...

so I just read in a thread that DS-X is a shitty Flashcart.
Great...

Well, how much is R4, if it's any good. I might consider buying it. But that would mean I have to convert all my damn .savs.

Speaking of .savs. I've been having this problem for months now. Well, now I got two actually.

First, an easy one. Hopefully. For awhile now, I've been trying to get Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (or Dark Conflict for the European users) and it doesn't work. I believe my flash cart is the most recently updated, so that's not the problem ._. It creates a .sav, but it can never write it or anything. So I basically can't play the game. It's just like cooking mama 2 (cute game by the way, really kills the time~). Is there a reason or a way to fix this? I tried both EU and USA versions. Nothing.

My second really frustrated problem is my Pokemon .sav file. I'm using Pokemon Pearl and even when converted to DS-X, it gets corrupted.

Here's the process: 1. I made a a new game and saved. I converted it to Supercard one.
2. Change the name of my rival on Pokesav (because I thought he was a girl -__-; Don't ask...)
3. I saved to 512kb and converted to R4
4. I then converted to DS-X
5. Added it to my DS.
6. I load game and it works perfectly.
7. I turn it off and play a different game.
8. Then I go back to Pokemon: file gets erased due to a corruption.
9. I check my .sav, it turns out it's been condensed to 31kb or a smaller size.

So I'm guessing that's the problem, I already tried 250kb and every other possibility, same thing happens. I have no idea how to fix this D; and it's annoying me.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

MrSpud

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Most of the new roms require the arm7fix, it a program to patch your roms. Here's a helpfull link(can I do that?) to a compatibility list.
http://wiki.scorpei.com/index.php/DSX_compatibility_list
It also has a link for the arm7fix.
As for the corrupted save games, get used to it, you own a Ds-x. Hope this help
smile.gif

thebert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just discovered this. For Advance Wars, if you do the arm7 fix, and then turn on auto boot, then the game will save properly. I discovered this because I recently have been using auto boot, and I was playing Advance wars no problem (after arm7). However, I decided to load a different game, so I held 'a' on startup, and loaded a different game. When I loaded advance wars again, when I went to the campaign, it said my save was corrupt and would be deleted. It didn't actually delete the save data entirely, but it seemed to have loaded the second to last point at which I had saved and then turned off and on my DS while autobooting. So this makes is seem like it saves correctly when using autoboot, but the "saving eeprom" time when you boot into the ds-x menu doesn't work correctly for this game. Bizarre, yes. However Geometry Wars only works with autoboot also, so it's anyones guess why... So anyway, try that and you should be ok.

I don't have the latest firmware (thank God), but I don't think that matters in this case. It's worth a try.

MrSpud

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
As for the corrupted save games, get used to it, you own a Ds-x. Hope this help 
smile.gif

Doesn't the Zelda method in the other thread actually work to rescue savegames, even if it's tedious?
Well, yes, but I still get random corruption. Once ALL my files got corrupted, even the roms. Also at one point the contact on the USB was a little loose and the cart connected/disconnect quickly, about 4 times in a second, resulting in half my files getting corrupted.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country
My second really frustrated problem is my Pokemon .sav file. I'm using Pokemon Pearl and even when converted to DS-X, it gets corrupted.

Here's the process:

1. I made a a new game and saved. I converted it to Supercard one. Convert to RAW.
2. Change the name of my rival on Pokesav (because I thought he was a girl -__-; Don't ask...)
3. I saved to 512kb and converted to R4. Save to 256 kbytes, no need to convert. Save to 512 kbytes, no need to convert.
4. I then converted to DS-X
5. Added it to my DS.
6. I load game and it works perfectly. Of course, because the save is uncompressed. However, be sure that your pokesav changes are applied (rival name is changed, hacked pokemon and items are there), because you could be just loading the EEPROM contents (from the new game you started and saved on step 1). If your pokesav changes are there, save your progress.
7. I turn it off and play a different game. Note: At this point your Pokemon save has been compressed again (this happens while EEPROM message before entering the DS-X games menu to load that different game).
8. Then I go back to Pokemon: file gets erased due to a corruption. Yes, your pokemon data on EEPROM has been total/partially replaced by the other game data. The DS-X is trying to access the compressed save data (.SAV file), but DS-X sometimes has problems to load data from compressed saves, hence the corruption message.
9. I check my .sav, it turns out it's been condensed to 31kb or a smaller size. It's compressed. If you backup it after getting the corruption message but before rebooting to DS-X menu (before the EEPROM message appears) your save can be recovered. Otherwise it will be blank/corrupted (useless).

Solution: Before Step 8 backup your pokemon save and convert to RAW. Then copy the converted save and try to load your pokemon save.

So I'm guessing that's the problem, I already tried 250kb and every other possibility, same thing happens. I have no idea how to fix this D; and it's annoying me.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

On the quote above:

Blue applies to FW 1.0.2 and 1.1.0
Red applies to FW 1.1.2
Green are general comments, apply to all.

I just discovered this. For Advance Wars, if you do the arm7 fix, and then turn on auto boot, then the game will save properly. I discovered this because I recently have been using auto boot, and I was playing Advance wars no problem (after arm7). However, I decided to load a different game, so I held 'a' on startup, and loaded a different game. When I loaded advance wars again, when I went to the campaign, it said my save was corrupt and would be deleted. It didn't actually delete the save data entirely, but it seemed to have loaded the second to last point at which I had saved and then turned off and on my DS while autobooting. So this makes is seem like it saves correctly when using autoboot, but the "saving eeprom" time when you boot into the ds-x menu doesn't work correctly for this game. Bizarre, yes. However Geometry Wars only works with autoboot also, so it's anyones guess why... So anyway, try that and you should be ok.

I don't have the latest firmware (thank God), but I don't think that matters in this case. It's worth a try.

According to Virusak, you don't need to use the autoboot trick, the arm7 fix should be enough for AW. You loose your progress because you play other game that replaces your AW save data on EEPROM and the DS-X fails to load the compressed save. Before going back to AW after playing other game try to convert your AW DS-X save to SC CF (to uncompress it) and use this converted save.

QUOTE(Virusak @ Jan 29 2008, 01:05 PM)i have the latest FW and after arm7 patch AW work flawlessly

Have you played other games, then back to play AW?

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Advance wars plays perfectly after applying arm7 patch for me and my friend (both DSX)

As for pokémon that is a known issue, what I used to do was this:

1. do a save and it says saving a LOT of data, then go to a box and move something around, and it save again also saying a LOT of data, when reloaded it will say it is corrupted, but should have your data from the first save you did
wink.gif

Ochi-Nu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Advance wars plays perfectly after applying arm7 patch for me and my friend (both DSX)

As for pokémon that is a known issue, what I used to do was this:

1. do a save and it says saving a LOT of data, then go to a box and move something around, and it save again also saying a LOT of data, when reloaded it will say it is corrupted, but should have your data from the first save you did
wink.gif

I'll try this more or less faithful method first simply because kazumi213's method seems a bit more work to figure out and understand (I skimmed, but he said a lot of things confidently, so I'll save it for last).

I've never heard of this ARM7Injector. And there's two versions ._. Gui-whatever and an older one.

Which do I try.
How do I use it?

Edit: Oh, does it say I have a corrupted file everytime I load it .__.
and won't that just make me unable to load from whereever point I am and bring back to that original .sav?

Edit2: Bah, didn't work. Time for the other method :3

Ochi-Nu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kazumi213: So basically I just load a Supercard CF converted .sav file to my game?

or do I load a Supercard-One to my DS-X.
Play another game.
Extract my Supercard-One .sav compressed file.
converted to Supercard CF

and then reload Pokemon :3

Ochi-Nu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hate spamming up this thread.
But, I just deleted both my game and .sav file from my DS-X.

I am now loading my DS-X flashcart and it goes straight to loading my Pokemon pearl .nds game .__. But I don't even have it in my files anymore.

WTF?

KirbyPink

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah, i had same problem.
To delete it COMPLETLY
Press up on the control pad, press select, and press the b button all at the same time on the screen where it says press start.

Ochi-Nu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, i had same problem.
To delete it COMPLETLY
Press up on the control pad, press select, and press the b button all at the same time on the screen where it says press start.

OH!
Yeah! Duh LOL. Stupid me -___-;

Okay, so I added this Gui.ver of Arm7 Injector. I have a rom of AW: DR. But it's asking me to input some arm7.bin thing .__. I have none and that wiki site didn't specify any (untested). D;

I'm afraid, my problem hasn't been truly solved since I am not quite following everything~

Like Kazumi's solution. Could you state the exact steps I should do?

thegame07

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I really hate spamming up this thread.
But, I just deleted both my game and .sav file from my DS-X.

I am now loading my DS-X flashcart and it goes straight to loading my Pokemon pearl .nds game .__. But I don't even have it in my files anymore.

WTF?

you have instant-boot enabled hold A while booting your ds-xtreme. once your in the ds-xtreme menu go to settings and turn instant-boot off.

KirbyPink

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah, ye bee needing a DSlazy and SimCity ( J ) rom.

Mighty simply steps really. Grab above things, unpack the Simcity rom and the Arm7.bin file is there.Grab it to a new folder.
Grab it and close DSlazy, now the the rom that needs arm7.bin fix unextract that with DS-lazy and put in the SimCity (J ) file.

Voíla! Zee thing is patched!

Can´t find DsLazy? Google it.

Rom request? Not here you don´t.

pbolmstedt

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Mighty simply steps really. Grab above things, unpack the Simcity rom and the Arm7.bin file is there.Grab it to a new folder.
Grab it and close DSlazy, now the the rom that needs arm7.bin fix unextract that with DS-lazy and put in the SimCity (J ) file.

Incidentally, the above is what it says in the readme in the tool linked from the page mentioned in the second post in this thread.

kazumi213

Trophies
XP
Country

Yes, we already know that recent AW works just by applying the arm7 fix, so I ask it again just to be sure: after playing other games and back to play AW, have you come into a save corruption for AW?

Kazumi213: So basically I just load a Supercard CF converted .sav file to my game?

or do I load a Supercard-One to my DS-X.
Play another game.
Extract my Supercard-One .sav compressed file.
converted to Supercard CF

and then reload Pokemon :3

I've rewritten my previous instructions, I forgot that Shunny fixed the DS-X save size issue.

Basically you have a working pokemon save on your DS-X and you want to edit it with pokesav. Then

1. Copy your save to PC. Go to Shuny's save converter and convert from DS-X to RAW.
2. Edit on pokesav. If you are using DS-X FW 1.0.2 or 1.1.0, save as 256 kbytes. If using FW 1.1.2, save as 512 kbytes.
3. Copy the file you get on step 2 to your DS-X and load pokemon. Check that your pokesav changes are there. If not, then you must delete EEPROM contents. To do so at the pokemon "Press Start" screen press UP+SELECT+B (this is a official key combo from Pokemon user manual). It will take a while and finally you will be returned to the "Press Start" screen. Now reboot your DS and let the "EEPROM message" to appear. Shut down your DS and copy again the save from step 2. This time it will be properly loaded.

4. Now the problem is if you want to play other game. Go ahead, play as many as you want. But BEFORE you load again pokemon, backup your pokemon save. If you load pokemon and it loads you game, ok. But if you get a save corruption message, then follow steps 1 to 3 using that backup. Note: deleting EEPROM on step 3 is not always required. You just need to do it if you "continue" your game , but it is not in the expected state/progress.

Hope this is clear enough. Good luck.

EDIT: Of course, if you don't want to use pokesav, just do steps 1 and 3. DS-X can read RAW saves. They are the "uncompressed" format.

Ochi-Nu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So basically.
Get Simcity J NDS.
Get DS Lazy
Use DS Lazy to extract the arm7 patch?

Inject in my AW:DR game with the injector

done?

Ochi-Nu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
O________O

ADVANCE WARS WORKS.
May be unsurprising for all of you, but I've been dying to play this game x__x the other ones seem so lame and childish, despite the amazing strategy in it! WIFI TOO!

Sadly, my Pokemon .sav file isn't having as much luck >__< Oie...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Can't wait for season 2