Gaming DS & WPA Security

LUGiA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
How come DS games online are not compatible with WPA is there a reason for this do you reckon Nintendo could enable it in future DSi Firmware

Godamit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm not sure of this either, but it was one of Nintendo's not-so-great ideas. Seeing as WPA is much more secure than WEP, they're making us choose between a lesser security with our router's or using their little Nintendo wi-fi connection USB you can buy (or whatever it is exactly).

CamulaHikari

Kami Kurai
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Godamit said:
I'm not sure of this either, but it was one of Nintendo's not-so-great ideas. Seeing as WPA is much more secure than WEP, they're making us choose between a lesser security with our router's or using their little Nintendo wi-fi connection USB you can buy (or whatever it is exactly).
I would say that's one of their reasons. This way they will also get money for the usb things.

Godamit

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If that is true, then this makes for really poor decision making on Nintendo's part. This has affected me, I recently had to get a new router, we got one with WPA security. Ever since then I couldn't connect to Nintendo wi-fi on my DS
frown.gif

LUGiA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I just checked Play,com and game.co.uk (UK Stores) and both dont have it on there site

Used to have one but sold it due to getting wireless broadband how are the nintendo USB connector with routers does it interfere in anyway.

I just got a new router from my ISP via a free trial and am not allowed to configure setting until the trial is over.

SirCB85

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, I couldn´t find a Date to when WPA2 was finaly released, but as it looks, WPA just arrived 1 1/2 Year before the NDS as a poor subtitute for what the powers that be realy wanted and finaly got out as WPA2. So I think Nintendo had to make a decission between a standart they worked with for quite some time while developing the NDS, or switch to another that may be outdated quickly after the release of the NDS as well, so I think they just made the sheaper decission.
WEP = outdated but allready implemented while developing the NDS.
WPA = most propably outdated short after shipping of the NDS but combined with additional costs and delays in the production of the NDS.

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If they update the dsi firmware you still won't be able to go online on your games, the dsi is already compatible with wpa, its the games that aren't compatible. Nintendo need to address this problem soon.

SirCB85

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
BobTheJoeBob said:
If they update the dsi firmware you still won't be able to go online on your games, the dsi is already compatible with wpa, its the games that aren't compatible. Nintendo need to address this problem soon.
The old NDS Games aren´t compatible with WPA, the new DSi ones are. As you can´t update an old DS Game stored on a ROM device, there is no way to adapt theyr software to use WPA on the DSi.

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SirCB85 said:
BobTheJoeBob said:
The old NDS Games aren´t compatible with WPA, the new DSi ones are. As you can´t update an old DS Game stored on a ROM device, there is no way to adapt theyr software to use WPA on the DSi.
The new games are compatible with WPA? Pokemon isn't.

LUGiA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
SirCB85 said:
BobTheJoeBob said:

@BobTheJoeBob

I mean make the DS games compatible with wpa

@SirCB85

Sonic & sega all-stars is a new game and that isnt compatible with WPA. also only 1 DSi game has released in USA only called system flaw...

LUGiA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
SirCB85 said:
The new DSi ones are compatible, Pokemon HGSS are not marked as DSi games.

what DSi games are they do u have a list (u are talking about DSiware are you)

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SirCB85 said:
The new DSi ones are compatible, Pokemon HGSS are not marked as DSi games.

There are DSi exclusives? Or are you talking about DSi ware?

QUOTE(Coolo @ Apr 1 2010, 02:20) @BobTheJoeBob

I mean make the DS games compatible with wpa

I see what you mean now, sorry misunderstood you.

SirCB85

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Well, I don´t have a complete List as I don´t own a DSi myself, but all games with DSi features should be compatible.
Such as Wario Ware, Rabbits go Home, Avatar, Assassins Creed 2: Discovery.
FYI here a list of releases marked as DSi games here on GBAtemp.
http://gbatemp.net/newgon/?dat=nds&gid=6096
EDIT: Okay, list doesn´t work as intended, just enter DSi into the searchbar at the botton of the listing.

BobTheJoeBob

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SirCB85 said:
Well, I don´t have a complete List as I don´t own a DSi myself, but all games with DSi features should be compatible.
EDIT: Okay, list doesn´t work as intended, just enter DSi into the searchbar at the botton of the listing.
sS those games in the list ONLY work with DSi?

CamulaHikari

Kami Kurai
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
BobTheJoeBob said:
SirCB85 said:
so those games in the list ONLY work with dsi?
Depends, if the are DSi Exclusive then yes, if they're DSi Enhanced then no, you can still play them on Phat/Lite~! Like WarioWare and Sonic Classic Collection~!

Njrg

Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States
Coolo said:
How come DS games online are not compatible with WPA is there a reason for this do you reckon Nintendo could enable it in future DSi Firmware
A Firmware update can't change whats already been printed in the games.

If Mario Kart DS is WEP only, then Mario Kart will continue to be WEP until Nintendo releases an updated version of the actual game itself. Apply that same principle to every Wifi game printed since 2005.

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Godamit said:
If that is true, then this makes for really poor decision making on Nintendo's part. This has affected me, I recently had to get a new router, we got one with WPA security. Ever since then I couldn't connect to Nintendo wi-fi on my DS
frown.gif
Yeah, I'm in the same situation :[

Maybe all we can hope for is that the 3DS can support WPA... or at least they make the 3DS games WPA compatible..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1