DS will read micro SD card, but computer won't?

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by Grungehamster, Feb 17, 2010.

1. Grungehamster
    OP

Newcomer Grungehamster Newbie

United States
    I just tried loading more games onto my card, and it freaked out and crashed mid-transfer. I thought "oh, great; there goes everything on my card", only to discover that the card worked fine on all the games I already had, all the new ones up to the one that screwed up one working (deleted the one that failed mid-transfer rather than risk trying to boot it), but my computer no longer reads the SD card.

Sure, it reads that new hardware is in when I put my SD adapter in, but when I try to open it it says "Please insert disk into drive E:". I don't have a problem with wiping the card to get it to work (well, I would have a problem and would like to avoid that, but you know what I mean), but even the SD formatting program doesn't even read the SD card either.

Oh, and I've tried it on another computer, so it's not just my laptop where this problem is occurring.

Any ideas?

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    your microSD adapter is defective or has dirty contacts. Another cause is that the USB port does not support the microSD adapter.

3. Grungehamster
    OP

United States
    Nope, tried it with both the big square SD adapter that came with my micro SD card, and with the T-Flash USB adapter that I also own.

It recognizes that a device is in it in either slot, but do not recognize that they have the micro-SD in them to be read. That's what's so confusing.

4. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    Then you got a badly formated microSD. That means the FAT table is corrupted.

5. Crass

Member Crass Rock me Dr. Zaius

United States
    Dont worry, my 2gb Kingston microSD literally blew up in the USB adapter that came with my R4 a couple of weeks ago. Totally obliterated the top half, all that was left was melted plastic and this silverish metallic powder.

6. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    There's another good reason to buy an R4 clone [​IMG] Sorry, but a feel that there's a fair degree of karma (unfortunately, only bad) when buying the R4 brand these days.
    I too had to reformat my msd this morning - R4 wouldn't recognize msd, pc would recognize msd plugged in (properties showed how much space used/free), but not open it or show the "name" I'd given it. Luckily, I backed up the entire msd only 2 days ago, so not too much damage done.

7. Crass

United States
    The R4 itself had nothing to do with the self-destruction of my MicroSD. In fact a news article this morning got published detailing how Kingston repackages cheaper/lower quality chips and brands them as their own. Seeing as the USB reader that came with my R4 worked fine for nearly 3 years before this incident, and still continues to work even after it happened, I have come to the conclusion it was more than likely a fault in the MicroSD itself. There is a lot of misinformation regarding how awful R4s are and how they'll ruin you life (almost all of those anecdotes coming from non tech-savvy users).

But yeah R4's do suck, but for other reasons. Don't buy one.

Edit: Also I never said I had a clone R4, I own an original R4 that I purchased 3 years ago.

More info regarding Kingston using low quality chips: http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/02/1...n-microSD-Cards

8. Dangy

Member Dangy Twisting Your Mind & Smashing Your Dreams

United States
    You're gonna have to format using a Camera, MP3 player, or something.

9. Grungehamster
    OP

United States
    Alright; finally got it working with the SD card slot on a THIRD computer, so somehow I guess the USB adapter is messed up AND the Micro slot on my laptop are both shot, but hopefully I can get a replacement USB adapter.

...are there any brand name USB adapters I'd be likely to find at somewhere like Best Buy (I assume in the camera section), or would I have to go online to get one of these (I got my first one with my Acekard, actually.)

10. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Bit of useless info: I have used my msd usb 2.0 reader that came with my original R4 exclusively for all my flashcarts, and it has performed without fault - ie. M3DSReal (tried it once and it corrupted all files on msd), AK2i & R4DS.

11. Crass

United States
    No need to list all the reasons R4 and its clone suck, I wasn't defending it at all, and I am very well aware of its shortcomings. I was merely trying to clear up this whole "There's another good reason to buy an R4 clone ohmy.gif" business because the R4 had nothing to do with anything, and wasn't at fault at all regarding my MicroSD, nor the OPs. I am simply trying to spread awareness and understanding of what the problem is with these MicroSD's.