DS Vs PSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
I have had a DS since its UK launch and love the thing to bits, it has great games such as CoD4 and Dementium on it. The FPS control is a lot better than the PSP's.

I would like a cheap PSP-1000 and a big memory stick,however, for the much better power and SNES emulation. Also games such as Crisis Core

antonkan said:
I would like the PSP becuase it has better graphics and sound. If I want Mario or other games, I'll go for the Nintendo DS.

BTW. PSP is more powerful than the Nintendo DS.

I love the way you felt you had to say that AFTER saying that the PSP has better graphics (proving it is more powerful)

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gots both, and I haven't touched my DS since the PSP got that "new" factor to it.

But, after a while, they'll equalize.
They're both quality systems, and anyone who limits themselves to only one on account of loyalty is only putting a cap on the fun they could be having.

PSP's got some great games, and can do some great emulation.
DS has great games too. And there's lots of homebrew for the DS.

I can put my PSP on my 32" TV, and it not look like poo. That's a nice little plus.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's good the see the replies so far being reasonable. All you need is one guy going "PSP is 100000000x better than DS. DS has shitty games and is for kids. PSP rulezzzz" and KABOOM! You've got a shit throwing storm. Forewarning, anyone who replies with something as I mentioned will get virtually headbutted.

Each has their good games. The PSP is better in graphics and features, but it doesn't matter when it comes to your gaming preference. I really am looking to get a PSP (probably an older modder so I can hack it), so I won't say which one is overall "better", in my opinion.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a PSP 2000 and a DS... the PSP's games suck in comparison to the DS

Yet I play my PSP more than my DS... because I got the entire NES, SNES, GBA, SMS, GBC and PSX backlog and Daedalusx64 is getting better every day... I already beat the first dungeon of Ocarina of Time on my PSP.

Maz7006

iSEXu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Both aren't what you would call master pieces.

the GBA was a much more great handheld then its older brother the DS

and the PSP isn't exactly a great feet from Sony.

However both are good at what they do best i.e. keep you entertained and occupied for an hour or so. You can't compare things like this, both hand-helds are in a completely different league.

quepaso

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS sucks. Its not comfortable to hold my DS lite for extended periods of time, the screens are tiny, the sound is really bad, and the graphics suck. It may have the most games, but they're mostly rpgs that take too long to beat since my hands cramp playing on it. Also, emulators are a joke on it.

PSP is an amazing system, the screen is huge and bright, great sound thats plenty loud, awesome graphics and emulators are amazing on it. Not to mention some terrific variety of games avail for it. Where DS is mainly for RPGs, the PSP has RPGs, Fighting games, Action games, Schmups, puzzle games, and even more. I wish it was a tad more powerful to run the SNES emulator better, but other then that, i love the PSP. I use a PSP Slim btw.

Oh, and movie playback on the PSP is absolutely awesome. Its a joke on the DS.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
ShatteredScreens said:
ca_michelbach said:
I say the DS is better (especially when used with a flashcart). I've played a psp and it was fun for a while before the novelty of it being "new" wore away and I realised it was just another generic hand held...basically a more powerful GBA in my opinion. The PSP has some good games but not much that I think are really inventive or origional.
The PSPs novelty wore off? What novelty? If there is a system that has a novelty that wares off than it's the DSs touch screen or the Wiis motion controll.

The PSP is better and doing over stuff, the games are nice also. The only downside is that there's not many good games. This is why the DS is good, not because of the system, but because there are some good games for it.
the DS is better because it has MORE good games. The PSP is a novelty because it's hi-tech for a handheld but there are like no games for it in comparison.

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eternal Myst said:
antonkan said:
I would like the PSP becuase it has better graphics and sound. If I want Mario or other games, I'll go for the Nintendo DS.

Sometimes you need to think that "graphics aren't everything", and it's about gameplay, but It doesn't seem like you would understand that.

Actually Graphics are almost everything. Sometimes a every good DS game comes out but with bad graphics I won't even try it out because its so hard to see when the graphics are bad. Like imagine playing KH 358/2 Days on DS with PSP graphics. Just compare Birth By Sleep graphics to 358/2.

EDIT: Back on topic. DS is better for its games. PSP has awesome homebrew applications and Emulators like N64. But even playing N64 on PSP gets boring its not like you play the real thing. Would be awesome to get a N64 emulator on my PS2.

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
quepaso said:
DS sucks. Its not comfortable to hold my DS lite for extended periods of time, the screens are tiny, the sound is really bad, and the graphics suck. It may have the most games, but they're mostly rpgs that take too long to beat since my hands cramp playing on it. Also, emulators are a joke on it.

PSP is an amazing system, the screen is huge and bright, great sound thats plenty loud, awesome graphics and emulators are amazing on it. Not to mention some terrific variety of games avail for it. Where DS is mainly for RPGs, the PSP has RPGs, Fighting games, Action games, Schmups, puzzle games, and even more. I wish it was a tad more powerful to run the SNES emulator better, but other then that, i love the PSP. I use a PSP Slim btw.

The PSP is a fantastic personal media player, for sure. but the screen size between systems isn't much of a difference, and i've seen a lot more JRPG's on the PSP myself. Just about every PSP commercial i've seen lately is about an RPG.

though i agree on the movie playback, it's pointless on the DS.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quepaso said:

Arggh! Get your pitchforks and your blessed swords! We got a troll on our hands!

The DS doesn't have puzzle games? Nice joke. Tetris DS, Planet Puzzle League, Professor Layton, and more. Seeing puzzle games are a good part of the casual audience, and the DS has a lot of casual gamers, you'll notice there's an abundance of puzzle games for the DS. There's no way in hell the PSP has more puzzle games than the DS.

Fighting games on the DS? Jump! Ultimate and Super Stars, Bleach games, Ultimate Mortal Kombat. I don't play like any fighters so I may have missed some. Shmups are admittedly scarce on the DS, but there is Contra 4 and Zombie BBQ. You're also underestimating DS RPG's. And if you're hands cramp from playing them, go cry me a fucking river. It's not my fault you have dainty hands and more arthritis than my grandmother.

The graphics of the DS are worse than the PSP, but not far off. It's not like comparing a SNES to a Playstation. Saying they "suck" is purely just hate speech. And emulation for the DS isn't "unplayable". Sure, you won't get any N64 or PS1 games on there, but most DS emulators work fine with only occasional graphical glitches.

Also, how the fuck do your hands cramp from a DS? I've got pretty big hands and the only time my hands cramp on my DS Phat is when I'm doing FPS games. And small screen? It's not far off from the PSP

The PSP is a good system, no doubt, but it's not a stretch above the DS. You obviously are just some uneducated troll who doesn't even know the DS well enough to make a good and balanced opinion. Better luck next time.

*shwing* *whack* Troll slain!

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Jamstruth said:
I have had a DS since its UK launch and love the thing to bits, it has great games such as CoD4 and Dementium on it. The FPS control is a lot better than the PSP's.

I would like a cheap PSP-1000 and a big memory stick,however, for the much better power and SNES emulation. Also games such as Crisis Core

antonkan said:

I love the way you felt you had to say that AFTER saying that the PSP has better graphics (proving it is more powerful)

ROFL. This I just HAVE to laugh at. I have CoD4 for my PS3 and my Xbox and I've played it on my friends DS and I can safely say CoD4 is absolute GARBAGE on the DS. It is just SO bad. Anyway, I had a DS Lite before it got stolen, I had a PSP 1K, broke/got lost and bought a PSP 3K earlier this year. I think the DS is more fun to play for long hours, but the PSP is more of a handheld made to be played for short period sessions like maybe 1-2 hours max or else you find your eyes straining and such.

I want to buy a DSi and a new flash cart for it though.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Funny how I've played CoD4 numerous times on the PC, and enjoy the DS version. I've had my DS Lite for over 2 years, and I'm still playing games on it non-stop. It has a vast gaming library, and there's something that appeals to everyone. It's music playback is terrible, and video playback is laughable, but besides that, theres nothing to complain about.

And I've had my psp for over 4 months now, and it's getting next to no usage from me. The first time I got it, I played hours and hours of Guilty Gear Accent Core on it, but after awhile, it just sat there. The only reason why I'd use it is for the occasional good games, and the great homebrews. But besides that, it's entire gaming library is horribly limited. The graphics are superior, but I don't give a shit about how graphics of a game looks, as long as the game itself is fun and entertaining. It's music playback is garbage to me, and I'm not going to comment on the videos, as I haven't tried watching anything on it.

The DS is a winner.

ZeWarrior

TheWarrior
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Tropicana said:
Funny how I've played CoD4 numerous times on the PC, and enjoy the DS version. I've had my DS Lite for over 2 years, and I'm still playing games on it non-stop. It has a vast gaming library, and there's something that appeals to everyone. It's music playback is terrible, and video playback is laughable, but besides that, theres nothing to complain about.

And I've had my psp for over 4 months now, and it's getting next to no usage from me. The first time I got it, I played hours and hours of Guilty Gear Accent Core on it, but after awhile, it just sat there. The only reason why I'd use it is for the occasional good games, and the great homebrews. But besides that, it's entire gaming library is horribly limited. The graphics are superior, but I don't give a shit about how graphics of a game looks, as long as the game itself is fun and entertaining. It's music playback is garbage to me, and I'm not going to comment on the videos, as I haven't tried watching anything on it.

The DS is a winner.

No offense, but you must have a really crappy PC then, because the DS version feels so gimped compared to the console versions, let alone the PC version.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ZeWarrior said:
Tropicana said:

The DS is a winner.

No offense, but you must have a really crappy PC then, because the DS version feels so gimped compared to the console versions, let alone the PC version.

Indeed, my PC is beyond terrible, lol. But honestly, I've seen graphics worse than CoD4 on the DS, and it really didn't bother me. And if I want graphic intense games, I have my PS3.

sprogurt

Trophies
XP
Country
I used to be a ninty fanboy but now....meh. (i even had my name in the uk version of nintendo power ^.^) i changed to a psp simply because i wanted new, good games. (i was getting p****d off with the shovelware coming out...standards anyone?!) i have only been back on my ds for about 10 mins to play mkds since the begining of june. now i play my psp if i can't get to sleep. i'm more focused on my art with college coming up in a few days but i am looking for a dsi
soon ^.^ .

if you want a solid console that is loved all over the world, DS. If you love graphics so much then psp.

If they become modded though it's a different story. Many homebrews kept me playing for hours on end (a touch of war for 3-4 hours straight ^.^) whereas the psp...i haven't came across a homebrew i remotely like. sure it has emus but the only one i'd be interested in is for n64 zelda and even though it runs at nearly full paced it makes it become boring quicker. I love the way you can dump your old psx discs though ^.^

DS for great homebrew, PSP for porting your old games.

tbh i miss the times me and friends went all out on mkds on the bus to school XD

Rogue Trader

Trophies
XP
Country
They are both amazing systems, with their own specialities.

The DS has some truely awesome games, and is generally great fun to play, and isn't terrible for some emulation (NEO-GEO!!!). Plus the obvious ease of usage with the GBA (which was an awesome system-probably better than the PSP and the DS).

The PSP is pretty awesome too. The media features are a nice extra, and it has some really good games. It also has excellent graphics for a handheld (although graphics aren't everything). The library for the PSP is not nearly as extensive as the DS though, which although unfortunate, is more than made up for by the fact that it has such excellent SNES and GBA emulators.

It really is down to personal preference. At the moment i'm mostly playing PSP, but i'm sure at some point the DS will become my favourite again.

ACK06

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I vote for the PSP, for several reasons:
  • better processor (333MHz vs 66MHz)
  • longer battery life (especially when underclocked)
  • screen size/resolution
  • more thoroughly hacked/more available software
  • better title lineup (IMO)
...plus, it the first scene I was ever on.
wink.gif

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy a DS, I'm just saying you should get a PSP first. XD

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sprogurt said:
I used to be a ninty fanboy but now....meh. (i even had my name in the uk version of nintendo power ^.^) i changed to a psp simply because i wanted new, good games. (i was getting p****d off with the shovelware coming out...standards anyone?!) i have only been back on my ds for about 10 mins to play mkds since the begining of june. now i play my psp if i can't get to sleep. i'm more focused on my art with college coming up in a few days but i am looking for a dsi
soon ^.^ .

if you want a solid console that is loved all over the world, DS. If you love graphics so much then psp.

If they become modded though it's a different story. Many homebrews kept me playing for hours on end (a touch of war for 3-4 hours straight ^.^) whereas the psp...i haven't came across a homebrew i remotely like. sure it has emus but the only one i'd be interested in is for n64 zelda and even though it runs at nearly full paced it makes it become boring quicker. I love the way you can dump your old psx discs though ^.^

DS for great homebrew, PSP for porting your old games.

tbh i miss the times me and friends went all out on mkds on the bus to school XD
guess someone has never played rRootage, beats of rage, psp revolution, or beatmania

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o