DS Vs PSP

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by artrite, Aug 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2009

DS Vs PSP by artrite at 7:05 AM (7,791 Views / 0 Likes) 107 replies

1. artrite
    OP

Banned artrite Banned

United States
    I have had this argument with many of my mates. Whats better?? PSP or Ds. So i have decieded to put it up on here so you can make the choice.

These two consoles have different benifits. They are 2 totally different consoles that dont work the same. I found this review on PSP and DS. Have a read,

- DS

The good:
    The Nintendo DS employs innovative dual-screen and microphone-enabled gameplay without load times on a higher-resolution display than Game Boy Advance SP while remaining backward compatible with older GBA games. The inclusion of Wi-Fi multiplayer capabilities and a touch screen allows for a growing list of original and fun games that you can't play on any other system.

The bad:
    Third-party support for the system hasn't matched the originality and ingenuity of Nintendo's games, and multimedia potential remains exclusive to Japan. The system is quite bulky. The much more stylish and comfortable DS Lite is available for the same price.

The bottom line:
    While it lacks the multimedia and graphical finesse of the Sony PSP, the feature-packed Nintendo DS is a worthy successor to the Game Boy Advance--but the new and improved DS Lite is available for the same price.

Specifications:
    Product Description: Nintendo DS - Handheld game system ; Form Factor: Handheld ; Media Type: Cartridge

-PSP

The good:
    The Sony PSP is a slick portable gaming system highlighted by an impressive wide-screen display and PS2-like graphics. It also boasts built-in Wi-Fi, a Web browser, and the ability to play music and videos, as well as to store images.

The bad:
    The Sony PSP's multimedia functionality is underwhelming, especially for video, requiring expensive memory cards. The load times on the UMD games can be excessive.

The bottom line:
    The Sony PSP elevates portable gaming to the next level, but its multimedia functionality falls short of its full potential.

Specifications:
    Product Description: Sony PSP 1001 - Handheld game system ; Form Factor: Handheld ; Media Type: UMD (Universal Media Disc) ;

After Reading that what one is better???

Happy Gaming [​IMG]

2. CheatingSoi

Member CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

United States
    Each are better in their own ways. Like you said, they are two totally different consoles that do different things. Its just preference really.

3. artrite
    OP

Banned artrite Banned

United States
    Year thats what i thought. They do 2 different things.

4. antonkan

Member antonkan GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I would like the PSP becuase it has better graphics and sound. If I want Mario or other games, I'll go for the Nintendo DS.

BTW. PSP is more powerful than the Nintendo DS.

5. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    I prefer the DSi Over any psp

6. artrite
    OP

Banned artrite Banned

United States

I have heard that the DSI is cheap. My friend told me when he used one that they are really lite in weight and he said they feel cheap.

7. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    nah it feels better its longer its slimmer its comfortable

8. themuddaload

Member themuddaload Creepin' hardcore.

United States
    since i got my psp 2000 and got the hax on it, i have almost never touched my ds.

last time i played my ds was when i was on a 7hr car trip and my psp's battery ran out.

ill probably pick up the ds for a while when KH hits the us.

9. Domination

Member Domination GBAtemp Psycho!

Singapore
    I have never liked any PSP games I played on my friend's PSP... too generic for my taste. My PS2 is much superior to it, having PSP is redundant and can be called a downgrade,seeing as PS2 is one of the consoles with some of the best games ever. And I don't really like the games on PSP, so I might as well buy a laptop if I want the PSP's functions and emualtion. It jsut doesn't do for me.

DS on the other ahnd is different, the touchscreen on it is what I'll never find anywhere and I won't be wasting my money. And the DS has actually many good games, except the graphics. And the software is what matters to me, I don't care about fucking hardware, a RPG with nice 3d environment still plays like a 2D RPG, so I can enjoy the 2D RPGs as much as the 3D ones, I think the games on DS are great.

Its the fun, not all the graphics crap. I'll say graphics is an extra like those sound tests, not a must, I could get a game with divine graphics and it palys like crap.

Those who say graphics are important pobably never will find fun from emulation, so the PSP is uselss too.

10. benjaminlibl

Member benjaminlibl Funky Member

Singapore
    I was thinking about this yesterday actually. It seems Sony is doing the same thing every time they release a new console, but Nintendo is actually making innovative new stuff that people like.

I used to have a PSP, and I loved it. Until I got my DS. It may be less powerful, and have inferior graphics, but I actually like the games they have on the DS. PSP is more powerful, but loading times take forever and games are laggy.

11. blueskies

Member blueskies GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've gone back and forth between the two a few times.. bought a ds, then dsl, then a psp, sold ds-es, sold psp, rebought ds, sold ds, rebought psp...(honestly I have a problem, I know).

I landed on the psp again this time around (just waiting for the eBay to ship it) because I feel the ds games are targeted for a younger audience. I don't find the games fun anymore. The touch screen is cool, adds a new way to play, but just like with the Wii, I get bored with the gimmicks very quickly. You can't polish a turd of a game by saying "you can touch the little guy to make him jump!". I don't mind buttons, been using them for years and they work just fine.

The psp has, in my opinion, a 'better' line up of games, or at least games that appeal to me. Crisis Core, Metal Gear, Katamari, etc. I like the bigger screen. I like the 'better' graphics (decent 3d is better than cartooney graphics). I can do cool things like stream music and videos from my ps3 over the internet.

Who knows I'll probably sell it again in a few months for some reason. I still have my GBAs though (SP and Micro). Best handhelds ever ever ever (ever).

12. clegion

Member clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    meh they bot fill the same function to me anyway, for example when i want to play ds game, i play ds, when i want to play psp game i play psp, it's quite simple and don't say psp game are all rubbish and people who choose sony are graphic retard, who didn't care about gameplay and stuff like that, they are couple of good games to play and good emulation

13. godsakes

Member godsakes GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    i own both and they're both great in their own way - the PSP top tier games really do outclass the DS ones in the sense they're alot closer to their console counterparts, but that said the DS has a much better range of games particularly casual games suited for a 'pick up and go' handheld and many of these games are are much better suited with the stylus. Homebrew wise the PSP win hands down, great arcade and even PSX emulators and you can even stream vids to your PSP.

get the PSP if you want good homebrew and a narrow range of console ports - get the DS if you want a wide range of 'quick fix' games with a great interface

14. Eternal Myst

Member Eternal Myst Back from the Myst.

United States
    Sometimes you need to think that "graphics aren't everything", and it's about gameplay, but It doesn't seem like you would understand that.

15. BanjoMumbo

Newcomer BanjoMumbo Newbie

Japan
    I have them both, and both are equally matched. I've had my DS since 2004, and I just got my PSP this year on sale. I will say that PSP has better SNES emulation, but DS' Neo-Geo emulation is better. I cannot choose, they are both great systems.

16. ca_michelbach

Member ca_michelbach GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    I say the DS is better (especially when used with a flashcart). I've played a psp and it was fun for a while before the novelty of it being "new" wore away and I realised it was just another generic hand held...basically a more powerful GBA in my opinion. The PSP has some good games but not much that I think are really inventive or origional.

17. tanvm07

Newcomer tanvm07 Member

United Kingdom
    I thinl the psp has better graphics and gameplay coz it can have better 3d adventure games like GTA and awesome fighting games like dissidia and soul calibur and with hacks you can do lotsa stuff like youtube

18. VashTS

Member VashTS Beat it, son

United States
    psp is cool but the games for it are not that great...i had a psp for about 2years until i finally caved in and sold it, still got my old phat ds blue color though thats a pretty old machine and i play it every time im in the bathroom

19. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    I prefer the DS as the dual screen, touch screen, microphone etc offer gameplay opportunities not available on any other system whereas the PSP is simply a PS2 you can play while sitting on the toilet. And if I wanted to do that I would save money by buying a power extension cable.

20. Tokiopop

Member Tokiopop Caffeine fiend

United Kingdom
    The PSPs novelty wore off? What novelty? If there is a system that has a novelty that wares off than it's the DSs touch screen or the Wiis motion controll.

The PSP is better and doing over stuff, the games are nice also. The only downside is that there's not many good games. This is why the DS is good, not because of the system, but because there are some good games for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.