Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hop2089 said:
Midna said:
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

'nuff said

Seriously overrated game, it's good but quite overhyped like Kingdom Hearts.

Every game that's gotten hype has been overhyped. There's no such game that has gotten hype and never met the expectations of the hypers. That's why I don't like hype.

Still, that game was very good. Coming from someone who thought it would be terrible and who, in general, has been a M&L RPG hater, it really proved to me that the franchise isn't doomed to shallowness and mediocrity.

Kingdom Hearts was overhyped simply because it's Kingdom Hearts. It had enjoyable combat mechanics, but it was incredibly repetitive. Missions are just more of the same (either "talk to this", "kill this", or "go here"), the story is less coherent (even though I think Kingdom Hearts stories aren't good), and the lack of flow of that the original game had really hurts. It's still fun, though, and KH fanboys will masturbate over it, like any KH game.

Also, who the fuck cares about Ys anymore?

eine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There are alot of PSP fanboys out there who bash the poor lil' NDS cause they are biased with what they're getting from their modern to next-gen consoles. They tend not to bother with what the DS can offer, drooling over the "sparkling" PSP & its sleek design. I've encountered alot of them since in our country, the psx and ps2 is very common amongst gamers.

And here are common conversations.

"Just look at the PSP graphics!" (Alot of them actually thought the DS can't handle 3D)

- The DS long ago proved it is 3D capable(Metroid:PH). Altough the quality is far from the PSP's.
And I really think that good 2.5D graphics are almost as good as full 3D ones. Think Ninja Gaiden DS.
- "You my friend, is a graphics whore. It ain't everything." I hate to admit that it almost makes 5/10 of
the game, but really, its the gameplay & story that should matter.

"The DS ONLY has kids games!"

- The NDS game library is massive. There are those for kids, casual gamers, and hardcore gamers.
Nintedo still has the edge for making the handheld for the masses. the DS still out sells the PSP,
and yes, it's all thanks to the so called kid games.
- "Cause you don't do research." The NDS too caters the hardcore gamers with its massive RPG list.
And if contra 4 isn't hardcore enough, I dunno what is.
- "really now? Try poking the girl here on the touchscreen."

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eine said:
*snip*

You're coming off as a DS fanboy a little bit
smile.gif

Popcorn Fairy said:
QUOTE(Guild McCommunist @ Oct 6 2009, 08:16 PM) Also, who the fuck cares about Ys anymore?

Are you serious? You're really missing out if you truly think this. =/

I swear to God I thought that franchise was pretty dead. Not like "never any more games for it" dead, but more like "spasmatic releases of new games that aren't quite great" dead.

Popcorn Fairy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Popcorn Fairy said:
Guild McCommunist said:

I swear to God I thought that franchise was pretty dead. Not like "never any more games for it" dead, but more like "spasmatic releases of new games that aren't quite great" dead.

Dude, Ys Seven is the best thing to happen to the series. Probably one of the best things to happen to the PSP. Give it a try if you can~

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Popcorn Fairy said:
Guild McCommunist said:
Popcorn Fairy said:
Guild McCommunist said:

Dude, Ys Seven is the best thing to happen to the series. Probably one of the best things to happen to the PSP. Give it a try if you can~

...Except I don't own a PSP.

And I've been looking on Wikipedia and there's nothing on Ys 7. Apparently it's "not released yet".

Nugg2396

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I personally like the DS better, I also like the PSP (if only i had both lol), whenever i'm with a friend with a PSP i always try to get my hands on it to play Patapon and Loco Roco xP

JesseB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nugg2396 said:
I personally like the DS better, I also like the PSP (if only i had both lol), whenever i'm with a friend with a PSP i always try to get my hands on it to play Patapon and Loco Roco xP

Damn, I forgot about Patapon
frown.gif

Awsome game. If only the guy developing the homebrew version for the DS hadn't gotten the C & D letter.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got both... In fact I've got two of each (fat/lite DS, 1000/2000 PSP). I use them both...

I use them pretty much only for games. Browsing the net on either of them sucks. No matter how much better the PSP is at it, it still sucks. I've carried a few funny movies, flash cartoons and such to work on my PSP to show co-workers but as far as using it as a media player that's about it. I've got an MP-3 player that's far less bulky/heavy that I use when I want music on the go, and other then the above example, watching video on either my PSP or DS doesn't appeal to me.

The DS's commercial game line up is far superior to the PSP's in my opinion. As much shovelware as there is on the DS (seriously, it's not like you have to buy/play them, and it's not hard to tell that that an "Imagine" game is gunna suck anus), there are way more good games for it then the PSP. I'm not saying that the PSP is devoid of good games, because that's just not true, but there aren't as many of them. The DS also has far more innovation going on in it's games as well, IMO. Right this second the only really unique title on the PSP I can think of is Echochrome. Not to say originality is the only way to create great games, but it often helps.

The PSP is obviously more powerful. And largely it means better, more accurate emulators covering a wider range of platforms. Anything requiring a keyboard is resigned to the DS though courtesy of touchscreen keyboards. I also find the DS's d-pad to be the better choice for all my favorite NEOGEO fighters then the PSP's (and NEO DS is just an amazing piece of work). All other emulation is done on my PSP though.

Non-emulator homebrew on either system is mixed, they've both got some great stuff. Both have their share of great homebrew games, I don't realy have a preference here. OTOH, just about any non-gaming app I prefer on the DS simply because of the touch screen, trying to use the analog stick on the PSP as a mouse or keyboard is just flat out crap.

Graphics are nice but not as important to me as game play. Obviously the PSP is the winner graphics wise, but it's not as if the DS doesn't have some fine looking games of it's own.

I don't use the UMD drive on my PSP ever, and my Lite's battery still out lasts the PSP by hours. That being said, the sleep mode on the PSP is far nicer and battery efficient then on the DS. Something that's important to me, as my on the go playing often means putting which ever device I'm playing back in my pocket for sometimes hours at a time. Of course the more portable friendly game design on the DS tends to have closer save points or some sort of "suspend" mode that lets me power the DS down fully in a fairly short time while the PSP not so much.

It probably sounds to most like I lean towards the DS being the superior handheld and that's largely true, but I wouldn't trade one for the other. I do play w/ my DS more then my PSP, and that's because I chew through games like gang busters. I can tell pretty quickly if a game is something I want to spend any time w/ or not and if I'me going to want to play it till it's end. If it's the sort I do, I pound on it till I've beaten it (faster then most people I know) and move on. If it's not that sort of game I don't even bother w/ it beyond the time it makes me realize the game is not for me. On the DS there is always something new to move on to that might interest me, that's not always the case on my PSP. The PSP often goes months w/o a game of interest to me being released.

razorback78

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
eine said:
There are alot of PSP fanboys out there who bash the poor lil' NDS cause they are biased with what they're getting from their modern to next-gen consoles. They tend not to bother with what the DS can offer, drooling over the "sparkling" PSP & its sleek design. I've encountered alot of them since in our country, the psx and ps2 is very common amongst gamers.

And here are common conversations.

"Just look at the PSP graphics!" (Alot of them actually thought the DS can't handle 3D)

- The DS long ago proved it is 3D capable(Metroid:PH). Altough the quality is far from the PSP's.
And I really think that good 2.5D graphics are almost as good as full 3D ones. Think Ninja Gaiden DS.
- "You my friend, is a graphics whore. It ain't everything." I hate to admit that it almost makes 5/10 of
the game, but really, its the gameplay & story that should matter.

"The DS ONLY has kids games!"

- The NDS game library is massive. There are those for kids, casual gamers, and hardcore gamers.
Nintedo still has the edge for making the handheld for the masses. the DS still out sells the PSP,
and yes, it's all thanks to the so called kid games.
- "Cause you don't do research." The NDS too caters the hardcore gamers with its massive RPG list.
And if contra 4 isn't hardcore enough, I dunno what is.
- "really now? Try poking the girl here on the touchscreen."

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
DS all the way.

But for Sport-, Racinggames (I always like to call the PSP the "Lil PS2
tongue.gif
), Emulators and some good content the PSP is great as well...

Like always: Just a matter of taste and preference. Original content-wise the DS is IMO way better!

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eine said:
"The PSP has emulators!"

- "and so does the NDS."
but the difference is the ds emulators are garbage were as the PSP actually has very good emulators since day one
heck even the N64 emu, mario 64 plays very good on it with pretty no slow down at all

eine said:
"The PSP has multimedia support!"

- "The NDS has also." For crying out loud, PSP = multimedia device. DS = gaming device. These bonuses really
shouldn't matter if your actually thinking about a "gaming device". The DS wasn't built for this yet it can
still manage to.
- "So does the ipod and majority of modern mobilephones."

"You can surf the net on the psp."

- "Ditto with the DS."
- "Get a damn netbook/laptop."

DSi only though
with flashcarts and older DS's it would work
but in either case its very limited and I wouldnt bother with either one

again DSi only, if you are also comparing the regular DS browser, then god help you...

eine said:
"The PSP has awesome homebrew."

- I've tried alot of homebrew for both the systems, but the DS's DS2win pwns everything.
easy full keyboard support, instant messaging, email, surfing, and managing my downloads, This homebrew
almost does it all.
someone never even saw PSP VNC did they?
allows the same exact same things

QUOTE(eine @ Oct 6 2009, 09:19 PM) "The PSP plays psx games, and i can bring them out!"

- "good for you. unfortunately, it can't emulate all psx games."
it runs somewhere in the high 90% mark
none the less almost every popular game is good too go

QUOTE(eine @ Oct 6 2009, 09:19 PM)
"Im getting Low on battery."

- "of course! you've been playing for around 3hrs now. Even on low brightness and mute, our PSPs lasts only
around half the DS's battery."
depends on what you play, and a few other variables
like memory stick loading over UMD loading, games and emu's that increase the CPU clock to fill 333mhz, wifi being used, etc...
Ive had it last longer then that though, I remember playing pokemon silver on RIN GBC emu for over 5 to 6 hours or so until the battery got real low

there is also an extended battery available

and before you come calling me a PSP fanboy, I have both and dealt with both a great deal over the years
your just sounding like a DS fanboy in this thread with a giant wall of text criticizing every thing the PSP has and trying to make it seem the DS has and does everything better

Shinryuji

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
bluelaserman said:
1.jpg

Its an Epic War o.o
Truly o.o
To be honest, that picture describes the whole thread (if you look at it at a slight slant).
The PSP and DS are both brilliant consloes, especially for what they do.
DS has a sheer flood of good games, amongst even more shovelware, but they are still there. While the PSP has a couple of absolute GEMS (Monster Hunter anyone?) and an amazing source of homebrew and brilliant custom firmware. It's all a matter of taste really, but I still play my DS more.

eine

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Joe88 said:

You done? good.
I'm a supporter of the DNFTT movement. I think someone *coughnarrowmindedpspfanboycough* didn't quite understand what to do or what the thread's really for.
happy.gif

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
the psp is better for hacking like emuloars your cant hack the ds like thwe psp but i like my ds more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    A @ anotherthing: The Nintendo servers are going down in 9 days anyway.