DS TOP SCREEN IS DYING

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by chrisman01, Oct 22, 2008.

Oct 22, 2008

DS TOP SCREEN IS DYING by chrisman01 at 6:53 PM (1,347 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. chrisman01
    OP

Member chrisman01 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    [​IMG] My Hot Rod Red, limited edition original-style DS has been a faithful companion to me for years. Recently, however, the top screen has been acting strange. The colors have been swapping around, and every once in a while the screen flashes bright blue/white. [​IMG]

2. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I'm sure the cable just came loose.

And screens don't cost $40.

Buy one from DealExtreme for like, $4.

3. Sephi

Member Sephi fool

United States
    If you know anything about screw drivers, you might as well get a new screen. I think you should google for a guide to replace NDS screens though.

Only option from DX: https://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3189

Still pretty cheap at $15.24

And yes, it is for the old NDS.

4. Curley5959

Member Curley5959 CCC Member!

Australia
    Yeah, best to get someone to look at it if your not too confident with opening your DS up..

If you are, just get a screen from dealextreme and replace it yourself..

5. cepheus

Member cepheus GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    yep go for it and try to fix it yourself.

if you are waiting for the dsi, you are looking at another years worth of waiting.....

6. Chaaru

Newcomer Chaaru Advanced Member

United States
    This is exactly what happened to my original DS. The top screen would constantly flash light blue. And sometimes, it would show a "mirrored"" image of the top screen on the bottom screen when I was playing a game. I had it ever since a week after launch.

So... I just bought a new DS Lite. Unfortunately, I purchased it about 4 weeks before Nintendo officially announced the DSi...

That being said, the DSi isn't arriving anytime soon in the US, so I recommend you just buy a used DS on craigslist or something. Especially if you don't know anything about opening / fixing Nintendo stuff, or don't have the cash to drop on a new one.

7. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    I have this same problem.
    The screen would go on and off depending on how it was tilted until it eventually just stop displaying anything but white. Now and then I get a few green lines though depending on the game.
    However, ultimately I lost interest and just stoped playing it cep't for GBA games now and then.
    The cable always seemed so hard to find.

However.
    deal Extreme has one for mega cheap and supposedly in stock now too. (man I wish they would organize their crap a little more, I had to dig for it, dunno if it was there before or not, but it is now :3)
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15855
    I have yet to buy one just yet.
    I need a better touch screen too though.
    So I just end up putting it off.
    Maybe after I get me an EZFlash V or something.

Anyway
    Go buy one of those and repair that sucker up.
    Just remember not to try testing the screens while its open and accidetly flip the battery the wrong way. Ya I did that >.>. Fixed it though but it was indeed bad. (I was hoping I could bend the cable about to see if I could get it working in a taped down position)

Oh and a new screen wont fix your problem. You need a cable.
    If the cable doesn't help then go for a screen as its the only other possibility.

I'd also suggest getting two just in case since its on the cheap and rather rare.

Good luck and all that.

8. chrisman01
    OP

Member chrisman01 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Wow, it's kinda creepy how much alike our stories are! that's exactly what's happening! [​IMG]

I think I'll take Shadow1w2's advice and get that cable from dealextreme.com (gawd, i love that place)

I read directions on instructables.com on how to replace the top screen, and it did a good job on explaining how to replace the wire. I can probably find vids somewhere,too

Many, MANY thanks guys!!! [​IMG]

^ in case no one's noticed, i love these smilies [​IMG]

9. Chaaru

Newcomer Chaaru Advanced Member

United States
    Good luck! [: