DS Skin Maker

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Stormwave, May 26, 2010.

May 26, 2010

DS Skin Maker by Stormwave at 12:13 PM (31,747 Views / 1 Likes) 100 replies

1. Stormwave
    OP

Member Stormwave GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    DS Skin Maker 0.48 has now been released!

With support for:
    - AKAIO - (8 preview screens)
    - CycloDS - (5 preview screens)
    - DSision
    - DSision 2
    - DSOne EOS
    - DSTT/TTDS - (3 preview screen)
    - DSTwo - (23 preview screens)
    - M3 Kaura - (6 preview screens)
    - M3 Sakura - (20 preview screens)
    - M3 TouchPod - (7 preview screens)
    - Moonshell 2 - (23 preview screens)
    - R4 - (4 preview screens)
    - Wood
    - YSMenu (1 preview screen)

Download DS Skin Maker 0.48

In the case of the Moonshell 2, and the M3 skins, the program fully supports extracting and compiling SKN files. Now you can extract Moonshell2 skins [​IMG]

Although it fully (hopefully) supports all of those firmwares, I've yet to add Preview pages to many of them. This is something I will be developing before adding any new firmwares/programs. If anyone would like to help with the production of these Preview pages, it would be an enormous help. Read the following information for help on creating Preview pages:

Preview tips

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Changelog

Warning: Spoilers inside!

DiabloStorm likes this.

2. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Wow Stormwave - you are a busy little bee - what with this & 'TextDS2'

Well I can only give a couple of suggestions - & only because I have those cards - & those are

'Acekard/AKAIO' and 'DSTwo' - although you'll won't be able to access them with your card

The AKEdit program is getting on a bit & does have a few 'quirks' and there isn't one for the DSTwo (yet) - although it may be a bit difficult for the DSTwo as there's really something like 3-4 different 'skins' involved (although the one for 'DS_Game' is very similar to Acekard skins- just named differently)

Out of curiosity - what are you using to program your Skin maker. (I bet it's C++)

I'm afraid I'm not really a programmer although I have been 'playing' with #Develop (using Visual basic/VB.net mainly) on-&-off (on a USB for portability), but being 'self-taught' it's really an uphill battle

3. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    Didn't the program already support moonshell? Or was that just decompiling/previewing?

4. Stormwave
    OP

United Kingdom
    It supported importing (decompiling) Moonshell2 skins into Sakura mode, which ignored Moonshell2 only files, but not previewing or compiling Moonshell2 skins.

My M3 Skin Maker is programmed in C#, I've never really been a big fan of C++. You're welcome to have a crack at it if you feel up for it, I can help out with most things it's only the previewing that I'd be unable to program (not having a reference to work with). I'm self-taught myself, although many years of it hehe, so good luck getting into it. Any of the .NET languages are a great place to start.

5. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Gah xD! People that actually know how to program stuff can best me any time, curses my lack of coding knowledge. Anyways, you could always add support for acekard skins (I believe WoodR4 is viewable with an M3iZero, but I don't think it can do anything really, even if it can load up), ysmenu skins (same as the WoodR4 in terms of use), R4 skins (have to swap to R4iRTS...somewhere in the M3 stickies), iTouchDS skins (same as R4iRTS...but you need to get a fairly older version of the iTouchDS firmware), cyclods skins (extremely similar to R4 skins), touchpod skins, skins for your new TextDS (when you add skinning support)...and maybe DSOrganize skins as well...and ComicbookDS...I can't think of anything else at the moment.

-edit-
    Oh snap xD I totally didn't remember DSCovered...even though I had the thread opened as well, but now that spinal_cord has reminded me, you could probably also have skinning support for Dsision and Dsision2 as well.

6. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    Support for DSCovered would be nice, however, I have not quite finished the skin format...

7. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Hmm - I've just had a thought
    - I've been looking through #Develop & I've found an option when I looked at one of my (very few) attempted vb.net projects (a 16bit Hex to 24bit RGB convertor - FYI) that has 'Convert vb.net to c#/python/boo'... & it got me thinking.....If I had some C# source code - would I get a 'Convert c# to vb.net' option ??

If so I could take Stormwave's C# , convert it to VB.net (a language that I'm a little more familiar with) and perhaps figure out some coding/modules etc for Acekard or DSTwo skins

I can't promise anything - since I work full time shift work, and only a 'beginner' in programming (& I'm over 40) - but who knows ???
    Here's a screenshot on what I've been attempting to do - but currently stuck on graphical showing problems

8. Stormwave
    OP

United Kingdom
    At the minute the program isn't particularly modular, so translating to and from languages could be fiddly. What I might do, however, is create a plugin system for the program. That way you could make Acekard and DSTwo plugins in VB .NET if you so wished. It would make it much easier for yourself, and anyone else, to expand it. It'll take me a couple of days to change the way it all works and make an SDK, so I'll post back about it when I'm done.

I could also program all the plugins myself, but keep the Preview data as external XML files, so they can be created or editted by anyone (since previewing is the only part I wouldn't be able to do).

9. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Whoaa - 'Plugins' - I'm still stuggling with 'global modules' in VB.net [​IMG]

Think I'll stick with struggling with my problems first

10. Stormwave
    OP

United Kingdom
    Hehe, fair enough.

I think I'm going to start fresh on the program using a plugin/XML based system. With the XML files being used for the Preview pages. It'll take at least a few days, but once done it'll be much easier for myself (and other people) to update it, particularly in making the Preview XML files.

11. Stormwave
    OP

United Kingdom
    I've uploaded the first version of this program [​IMG]

Consider it a very early alpha release. It's not finished by any means. View the first post for updated details. If you wish to contribute it would be greatly appreciated and full recognition of all contributors will be provided.

I'll continue working on the Preview pages on my own aswell, so expect considerably more in the near future.

12. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    FYI - I'll have a stab @ making the DSTwo.xml for you

EDIT: Just found a small 'glitch'... On DSTwo bright green is used as a transparent colour on some graphics.
    When placing them onto the preview - that's what we get.. a nice bright green square background to the icon

IIRC on AKAIO skins the transparent colour is 'Pure Black', so we'll need something added to the XML to say what colour is 'transparent' or IF the graphic HAS a transparent colour - as a suggestion perhaps something like

13. Stormwave
    OP

United Kingdom
    Good idea, I'll add that in. Thanks for informing me. I'm sure there'll be lots of little things like that that need adjusting, it's hard, since I can't test most of these out, to know that on my side (although I shoudl have realised looking at the images, heh) I'll add a transparent colour option to the XML files.

That would be great if you could make the DSTwo.xml [​IMG]

14. Stormwave
    OP

United Kingdom
    Okay, updated to 0.1a. The new "TransparentColor" parameter should do exactly as you want [​IMG]

*EDIT*

I added some tips on how to use it in the first post. It is optional, so if you leave it blank, no transparent colour is presumed.

15. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Sorry to be a nuisance but found another 'quirk' (or two) - especially with the DStwo Clock settings

We can set up the first digit of the clock by using
    but no way of setting the other numbers of the clock in relationship to the first number - We have to define it 'exactly' e.g. 'big_clock.x=189'

I'm not telling you how to program but perhaps another command could be made that when used will use 2 graphic sources ('clock_numbers' and 'clock_colon') that will do all the numbers/colon positioning in one go

e.g.

16. Stormwave
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the work you've done so far CannonFoddr. I really appreciate it [​IMG]

Oddly the skin I was using when I added DSTwo support didn't have a form_R file, but I'll add that into the next version.

The only problem I have with your suggestion of a method to allow easier displaying of clocks is that the method you described would only really work with DSTwo skins. I want the program to work the same for every type of skin where possible, M3 Sakura for example has the colon image inside the font used for the numbers, aswell as the /s for dates etc. Dividing by 10 therefore would not accurately give the correct height, as there are 13 characters in those images.

Taking on board the idea however, I've come up with an idea that will help, but be more generalised. That would be a command that allows to load in multiple images and display a string of indices from those images. For example:

The following example would display 15:32:56. In the set of indices, the number preceeding the '.' would define the source, the succeeding number would be the index.

Would that be a good compromise? I'll probably put that in tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions, and thanks again for helping out.

17. Stormwave
    OP

United Kingdom
    Scratch that idea, I came up with a better one.

Just updated to version 0.1b!

I added "HorizontalList" and "VerticalList" to the Preview XML files. They basically override the X, Y and Screen parameters of all child nodes, and will increment the X or Y value based on the given ItemWidth or ItemHeight respectively. See the "M3 Sakura.xml" for details on how to use it properly.

I also added the "form_R" to the DSTwo skins.

18. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Thanks for the update - the Horizontal/Vertical seems to work BUT (there's always a 'BUT') there's still a small problem
    Don't know what's it like on other skins but on AKAIO/DSTwo the 'width' of the numbers+colon are not equal

The numbers are 32 wide while the colon is 10 wide - if I set it to '32' the whole clock is too wide for the 'box' it's suppose to show in (It also has a similar problem with the 'start menu'; the 'form_L' is a different width to 'form_m' which is again different to 'form_R').

Is there any way of having it check the width (or Height) of the graphic it loads in & work it out from that ???
    If not could the 'width=' in the override the 'itemWidth' instead of the other way round ???

Also, another 'bug' found - I started trying to layout the 'text' on the top screen, & found there's a problem with the colours
    Your DS Skin Maker shows a different colour in the main screen to that shown in the preview - which is different to what it should be
    a picture of what I mean

19. Stormwave
    OP

United Kingdom
    Okay, new update added.

You can now override the ItemWidth or ItemHeight values individually per node, see the "M3 Sakura.xml" for details.

As for the colour problems you're having, the fuchsia colour I think is due to you not having added in the INI Heading part of the colour string. It should be "global_setting.gameInfoTextColor". As for the wrong colour being shown on the INI file, I presumed the DSTwo skins used RGB format, but I presume now that they must use BGR so I've swapped it round. Should be the correct colours now.

20. CannonFoddr

United Kingdom
    Firstly: Duh... Silly me forgetting the 'global_setting' part

Second: New updated DSTwo XML @ http://filetrip.net/f11671-DS-Skin-Maker-%...ML%29-0-1c.html

Bug: Still got DSTwo colour problem - it's now showing right colour on 'INI' listing screen - but wrong colour in 'Preview'

A Possible suggestion: Smaller 'buttons' on the 'DS Skin maker' (the one that lists all the supported 'skins') to maybe 3/4 the size overall or perhaps get it to 'auto minimise' once a button been pressed.

You also wanted something like this ????