Gaming DS Schematics?

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So far I've found schematics around for all the old Gameboy consoles (except the micro, which I think HDR is working on) but the DS family has been a little bit harder to track down. Do high quality (read: legible) schematics exist for any of the DS family of systems?
Care to share your objective?
There might be people that know how to give you what you want.

TannerDoesMods

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Care to share your objective?
There might be people that know how to give you what you want.
I've got a bunch of different projects on the go, but I just want documents to refer back to when I inevitably see something and say "oh, I wonder where that goes/what that does". I don't have an oscilloscope or a good electronic microscope so I'll be SOL and left to wonder.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never seen any floating around. Normally they either leak from repair shops (and Nintendo rarely have high end repair shops outside of a few labs, most are just "nah it is dead send a replacement, oh look the software reset device worked" or some other major company leak (don't think we got any with the gigaleaks)

For the GBA and some older stuff but for the sake of sharing a cool link
https://circuit-board.de/forum/index.php/Thread/13913-STRIP-CLUB-PCB-Scans/

On oscilloscopes do have a look -- there is usually someone selling a nice old CRT one that will get you a lot of places (not to mention you can point a camera at the screen and capture whatever you need). Might also be able to join a hackerspace/makerspace and either buy one from someone there or use their toys.

Interested in this too ^^ ! I was considering pursuing building an NDS or an NDS lite from scratch. I have no experience with this stuff, but one of those things that you just want to try.
As in buying replacement case, speakers, motherboard.... and putting it all together or going from scratch?

Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Apparently the "megaleaks" from last year have schematics and other cad files among them.
I'm looking for those myself.

SpartanJohann117

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Please, I am also looking for some diagram or diagram on the GameBoy Advaced cartridges and Nintendo DS cartridges... because I have some damaged cartridges that I am restoring but I have problems correctly finding the beginning and end of the connections between the component, the Ram and the Rom... to try to repair them and be able to play with them.Please, I am also looking for some diagram or diagram on the GameBoy Advaced cartridges and Nintendo DS cartridges... because I have some damaged cartridges that I am restoring but I have problems correctly finding the beginning and end of the connections between the component, the Ram and the Rom... to try to repair them and be able to play with them. 🙏

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Trouble there is there are a variety of cartridge types even before you get to the more custom stuff with clocks, rumble, infrared communications...

You have two choices (I doubt there are those that put up nice sanded PCBs like in my earlier link, much less for every revision of cartridge* and mbcs in the case of the GB/GBC stuff).

1) You get some working cartridges and try to match things from them. Unlike many times we are dealing in electronics where you either are dealing with some one off part (or near as makes no difference) or you could buy one your chosen online tat merchant but it is going to be food bills/rent for a substantial amount of time to do that there are still cheap GBA games nobody wants (possibly even in the various types mentioned in the * below) at least around here (if you are in Columbia I recognise that is a bit more of a challenge as between repros, Nintendo and other devs not caring then you probably don't have quite the volume of the proverbial Barbie Horse Adventures floating around wherever people sell old junk).

2) The numbers on the top of the chips you are possibly not going to find many datasheets for but you will probably find close enough for most purposes from the same range/company.
http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#auxgbagamepakbus
https://gbdev.io/pandocs/External_Connectors.html

Should be fairly obvious what connects to what in those cases.

*for the GBA the big three are going to be EEPROM, SRAM and Flash corresponding to the major save types (I imagine no save just uses one of those without the chip). From what I recall seeing one of those has a spot on the board for two different size chips (not quite an unpopulated header but similar principle to save having to design multiple boards). You may also get some differences from when SRAM stopped using battery backed SRAM (most earlier SRAM games) and instead went to FeRAM (still talks like SRAM as far as ROM hackers and coders are concerned but does not need a battery). Pokemon needing a real time clock is another. I don't know if the improved/cheaper ROM chips over the course of the GBA lifetime saw any changes like going from two chips to one but another possibility. What goes for the sub revisions of saves as far as PCB changes I also don't know here but another thing I would consider for generating new revisions of board, though equally how different they might be I don't know.
Bonus the second if you are going to do this is if a PCB is too far gone to fix you might sacrifice said cheap junk game and solder the hopefully still working or fixable chips onto the other PCB instead. I will note however I did see someone selling blank whole GBA boards so it stands to reason cartridges might be an option in this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/AkzulQxOgQs?si=UIe4puLCp7NoP3r7 seldom gbatemp shoutout