DS recognizes as Bomberman.

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Kumarin, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Kumarin
    OP

Kumarin Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2019
    Japan
    "R4 Upgrade Revolution for DS" (sithout imark) was bought.

The screen which made DS start.
    DS recognizes as Bomberman.
    Even though it is R4.

why?
    Can I change it?

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    The DSi and 3ds have extra security onboard to try to detect flash carts. Part of the workaround is faking being a known good game. https://hackmii.com/2010/02/lawsuit-coming-in-3-2-1/ if you want the more technical aspects here.

Some flash carts will try to detect they are running on a DS/DS lite and change to a flash cart custom icon, or perhaps have an alternative firmware/bootstrap/whatever they care to call it on their cart that only works on a DS/DSlite or hacked DSi/3ds but not many do that. Theoretically you could hack the flash cart to have another firmware but nobody is going to put the effort into doing that.

alexander1970 likes this.
  3. Kumarin
    OP

Kumarin Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2019
    Japan
    Thank you!! it was very helpful.
    I also wanted to know whether everyone's R4 is also same.
    (I'm The beginner who doesn't understand a technical thing.)

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    R4 is not the best term to use -- the original R4 became a popular flash cart at one point and thus every fly by night company (and a few big flash cart makers also) started calling their flash carts R4 something (gold, dual core, extreme...). It also escaped into the wider world (think how some people call a vacuum cleaner a hoover, how some people refer to any type of hacking as jailbreaking, or if you are indeed Japanese then https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Japanese_genericized_trademarks is probably a better example).
    So while people around here will probably know what you mean if you did want to use the term flash cart it is probably the better choice.

Different flash carts made by different teams choose to fake different games, and indeed said games may change depending upon the flash cart's firmware they are using as that particular game stopped working when Nintendo updated. I don't think we have a list of what cart uses what as nobody really cared about such things -- it is only there for the 5 seconds it takes to launch the flash cart.

5. Kumarin
    OP

Kumarin Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2019
    Japan
    I am relieved.Thank you!

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted