DS Lite vs. DSi - Buttons

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by AustinAM, Dec 30, 2009.

Dec 30, 2009

DS Lite vs. DSi - Buttons by AustinAM at 9:43 PM (3,554 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. AustinAM
    OP

Newcomer AustinAM Newbie

United States
    Hey guys, I was just wanting your opinion on this matter. My DS Lite has recently broken, so I am looking to either replace or upgrade to a DS Lite or DSi, repectively. The features of the DSi don't really appeal to me, and the DS Lite is, of course, $40 cheaper. But I digress. What I'm wondering is whether the physical features of the DSi, such as the more flush buttons and the matte finish, make the DSi a better purchase over the DS Lite. The Lite's controls, in my opinion, were somewhat irritating, due to the cramped 'feel' of the whole structure and the ABXY buttons feeling loose. I would appreciate any input by anyone with experience with this. Thank you very much.

2. Danny Tanner

Member Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

United States
    As much as I love the DSi's design, sometimes I feel like my giant baseball glove hands will crush the system. DSL is much sturdier, that's fact, and has better controls, that's my opinion.

DSi gets a little creaky sometimes too. It's a shame because I love the DSi and I love the overall aesthetic but it feels a little cheap.

3. AustinAM
    OP

Newcomer AustinAM Newbie

United States
    Thanks. It looks like I'll be getting the Lite, and maybe the DSi later.

4. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Best controls and price are the DSPhat nice, flush buttons with a clicky feel rather than a mush. The D-Pad is much nicer as well in my opinion. The DSi's buttons are nicer enough but not worth the extra money methinks

5. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Yeah right dude, the DS Phat (crap) sucked. It was way too dark, was bulky, heavy and is just overall terrible. IMO, DSi > DS Lite >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DS cra..err Phat.

6. BoxShot

Member BoxShot Chiyo-chan :3

United States
    It's ds brick get it right! [​IMG]
    Well I own a ds phat, my cousin owns a lite, and my other cousin own all three.
    I've tried them and I say button wise ds phat > dsi > ds lite. I don't like the mushy buttons.

7. RchUncleSkeleton

Member RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

United States
    get a used lite...they can be had on craigslist for around $60.

8. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States

......whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? I dropped my DSi a few times and not-a-single-scratch or cracks! Just putting my DS lite in my pocket gets my a freakin crack on the hinge!

God I hate the DS lites now..... (just miss the gba slot)

9. MarkDarkness

Member MarkDarkness Deliverator

Poland
    I would really like to know about the sturdiness of the DSi... do the screens scratch as easily? Do the buttons break as easily? Do the hinges crap out as easily? Honest answers, please... no favoritism.

10. Eon-Rider

Member Eon-Rider GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    If you're so worried about scratching the screen, get screen protectors. The buttons won't break unless you're intentionally try to break them. I believe the hinges are better than the DS Lite. You can always get a case that supports the hinge.

11. double_vision

Member double_vision GBAtemp Regular

United States
    so far nothing has happened to my dsi.
    and if youre worried about cosmetic looks, buy a screen protector and a case.
    those will keep it from breaking

12. MarkDarkness

Poland
    False. Mine came broken from factory, and in a few weeks A, L and R fucked up. Something similar happened to a friend. And no, there is no warranty coverage here, so I had to pay for my then brand new DSl to be fixed. DSl's buttons break all the time. Go check the amount of replacement buttons out there.

I currently don't own it anymore though... as it broke in a more definitive way.

13. fairlyevenparents

Member fairlyevenparents GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I like the DSL, the only buttons that break for me are the L and R shoulder button, but i kinda mash it hard so it'll work that's why it breaks for me [​IMG]

14. BlackDave

Member BlackDave Official GBATemp "Cleanup Guy"

United States
    Screens I can't tell cuz I only used the DSi without screen protectors for about 10 mins and it was fine...

The hinges are fine and I got mine in May of this still current year of 2009

15. Danny Tanner

Member Danny Tanner GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I didn't mean that the DSi breaks more easily, I just meant that it feels a little flimsy. Mine hasn't broken, however, on the right side, I can push the face plate in a little, and the hinge has friction with the bottom part of the body. The buttons are a little rounded for my tastes, and I don't think the screen is any more or less prone to scratching than the Lite.

16. Technik

Member Technik GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    In my opinion the l and r buttons break on dsi's way faster than dsl's. I got mine on release date and after about 3 weeks of m&l bis and KH they both broke. Now i cant beat both games. KH because i cant move the cam on my own will and m&lbis because a bunch of the moves require L&R. But i love everything new on the dsi and how the fingerprint loving matte is gone.

17. Dark Blade

Member Dark Blade Flippin' Insane

United Kingdom
    The NDSL has way better controls as compared to that shitty NDSI.

[​IMG]

18. MarkDarkness

Poland
    Sigh... how can something be more flimsy than the DSl? Man, this DSi seems to drop the ball in every aspect possible. I wish so much they stopped this "innovation" crap and just made a decent, well-rounded, quality-assured system once more! My freaking Gamecube fell three meters and crashed on the floor, and what happened??? The box was barely dented. Now, the first week playing my DSl on a car, what happened??? The main hinge broke a bit because of the WIND pushing against it. GO, NINTENDO! U MA HERO! You fucking pieces of shit.

19. tops2

Newcomer tops2 Member

United States
    I traded my DSL for a DSi and I actually miss the DSL.

I like the matte of the DSi cause no more fingerprints.

I like the buttons a lot better on the DSL (I guess I like mushy button feel a lot better than the clicky feel). I can't seem to play games like Contra 4 on the DSi, but I could play it easy on the DSL. I had the face buttons on the DSL start getting too mushy till its almost unusable, but I just replace the rubber things under the buttons inside the DSL.

20. Snorlax

Member Snorlax POSTMODERNISM

Australia
    I love the new DSi buttons.
    They're a mix between the DSL and DSPhat ones. :3
    Nomnomnomable in my opinion!