• Total voters

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You're getting a 3DS later so you'll have access to DSiWare anyways and that's really the only thing the DSi has going for it. Getting the DS Lite instead will give you GBA compatibility plus the RAM expansion slot allowing for more fun with homebrew applications requiring the extra memory. My vote definitely goes for DS Lite + 3DS, it simply gives you more options and a wider choice of games.

Reactions: Rydian and Xexyz

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Some things only work on DS Lite, such as DSaveManager, that don't work on DSi. I'd get a lite if I were you. Plus if you got a 3 in 1 or something you could use the extra ram for various homebrew. Plus if anything goes wrong (we all make mistakes), you can update your DSTWO on the lite and it'll be fine.

Reactions: Xexyz

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some things only work on DS Lite, such as DSaveManager, that don't work on DSi. I'd get a lite if I were you. Plus if you got a 3 in 1 or something you could use the extra ram for various homebrew. Plus if anything goes wrong (we all make mistakes), you can update your DSTWO on the lite and it'll be fine.
Thx for the info!

caribou007

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Look for a comparison chart?

The DSL has, by far, the best battery life performance.
It also weighs a bit less.
And has native hardware support for GBA games. Emulation is the only option with other models, and it's not as good.

ez-flashs are getting pretty rare these days,
if you want to buy one, do it now before it's too late.
I have a spare for sale.

superspudz2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is no point in getting a DSi and a 3ds. get a DS Lite since it has slot 2. a DSi is redundant if you get a 3ds.

not sure about that. the 3DS has a different aspect ratio and stretches DS display. so DS games dont look as good on 3DS

its probably good enough for the average casual gamer. but for collectors or hardcore gaming enthusiasts theres no reason not to get 3 models plus a AGS-101 for GBA games.

Xexyz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not sure about that. the 3DS has a different aspect ratio and stretches DS display. so DS games dont look as good on 3DS

its probably good enough for the average casual gamer. but for collectors or hardcore gaming enthusiasts theres no reason not to get 3 models plus a AGS-101 for GBA games.
If I get the DSL, you now I can play on that too.

superspudz2000

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If I get the DSL, you now I can play on that too.

yup. i just mean that DSi an 3DS have different displays. the difference between DSL and DSi are not noticeable.

most DSiware looks fine on 3DS though. but keep in mind that 3DS has the same space limitation for DSiware, meaning DSiware is stored in system memory, not SD card, so you can only fit 20-30 DSiware games.

at one point i thought about splitting the DSiware between two systems, but i just deleted some stuf i never use and theres pleanty of room.

for example, on club Nintendo rewards, they just had art academy DSiware, but after some research, i found out that the same thing is available as a 3DS cartridge. and Cave Story is available on DSi and 3DS, so rather than waste space ill just get the 3DS version.

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
Best system for each era:

GB/GBC era: gameboy color + frontlight (black and white GBs with dimmable contrast look like crap compared to a GBC, no matter how you mod them)
GBA era: AGS-101 (DS phat: crappy screens, slight letterboxing since GBA had a slightly lower resolution, DSL: slight letterboxing, hinges prone to breaking, market flooded with chinese clones or subpar refurbished units, and the stupid protruding cartridge)
DS era: DSi XL (3DS = non native resolution and black bars = deadly sin)
3DS era: 3DS XL

DS games are EPIC on a DSi XL. Like, Supermario64. Buy a pair of used DSi XL, just to be sure.

HansKisaragi

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Lol.. there is no such thing as a hardcore gamer..

I have a gba, GBA SP 101, DS Lite, a 3ds and a 3ds XL and the games looks fine on all. stretching my ass.

GBA rocks

Trophies
XP
Country
I look "fine" too, according to my mom.

Doesn't mean I'm in the best possible shape.

Old-but-not-that-old-yet used consoles are cheap, if someone wanna do some not-too-distant-past retrogaming (that's what DS, PS2 or Wii gaming is nowadays) there's no reason not to do it at its best...and as anybody who's done a side by side of a DSi XL and 3DS XL can tell, DS games look slightly blurrier on the 3DS and, may I add, colors are more vivid/bright/vibrant on the DSi XL.

Reactions: calmwaters

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get both. They're both great systems and it never hurts to have a bunch of systems, especially if you travel a lot. :D And the nice thing about these systems is that you can carry them around in your pocket; they're not too big.

pozda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
i have both, if someone would give it to me for free, i would choose DSLite

dsi can update at will (on wifi) and make flashcart useless, ds lite can't do that, can play gba, can play guitar hero, but has a bit smaller screen and dsi has better buttons (+cameras which i really can't remeber using at all)

Xexyz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS Fat or DS Lite? Since people say DS Lites buttons are mushy :( .
ds_lite_black-1.jpg
or
30895578-2-440-overview-1.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto