DS Lite or DSi XL?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Shifty, May 18, 2010.

May 18, 2010

DS Lite or DSi XL? by Shifty at 8:14 PM (4,081 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. Shifty
    OP

Newcomer Shifty Advanced Member

Norway
    Right, bought my DS Lite two years ago.

Now I'm thinking of buying an XL, but I have no way of comparing a DS Lite/DSi to a XL. I've been to every local game store (and there aren't many!) where I live, but none hav a DSi XL on display, or for comparison.

Many people say it depends wether you want the GBA slot or not. Truth be told, I can live without it. There's only about five games I find interesting, them being Metroid: Zero Mission, the two Summon Nights games and the two Boktai games. The Golden Sun's and the Castlevania's I can live without. The Advance Wars games too.

I was planning on selling the DS Lite if I decide to get a DSi XL. Keeping them both just for the GBA port on the Lite isn't something I'm considering.

Also, I'm sure I'd treat an XL like a new handheld console, so I doubt the "I'm so used to the DS Lite, this is a pain" would be an issue for me. And really, is it THAT big? Does it make the PSP feel small in comparison? I'm not much for carrying a console around wherever I go, I'm a stone cold gangsta and I fear that the homies might look down on me if I'd ever do that. I just want to play on the thing, at home, in my bed or wherever. I just don't want something too big.

It's probably down to the graphics, and if the DSi XL is maybe too big. How does the game looks? I've read about thirty online reviews, about 20% of them are like "only buy this if you're old or have problems with your sight", while 80% are saying that the big screen "breaths new life into old games", and makes them look "refreshing". As we all know, Nintendo didn't change the resolution of the screen, and as a result, according to some reviews, some games looks blocky and whatnot. Is it really that bad? Is there really a huge difference, graphically, on a game played on the DSi XL compared to one on the DS Lite/DSi?

Also, I'm fairly sure that I'll be getting a 3DS when it's released, but that's not really an issue for me. It's like a year away, unless Nintendo surprises ut with a Christmas 2010 release (which I'm suspecting). Truth be told, I haven't touched my DS Lite for a good amount of months, and the DSi XL might be a good motivator for me to get back into DS-land.

Anyway, sorry for a very long post. I'm basically trying to hear people's opinion on what I wrote above. Feedback from people who have extensively played on both the DS Lite/DSi and the DSi XL would be great. It's not a money issue at all, but I don't like buying things for fun that just ends up gathering dust. I only buy what I think is worth a purchase, and for the moment I can't for the life of me make a decision on wether to keep my DS Lite or buy a DSi XL.

2. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I owned a DS lite, and got a DSi XL. The thing kinda looks massive when you first get it, but in reality, it's just slightly taller than a PSP (when closed. It's twice as tall as a PSP when open). And after a while, you get used to the screens, and the DS lite looks freakishly small. I enjoy my DSi XL.

3. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    Just some pictures of comparisons:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    I'd get the DSi XL, as you just want it for home, you will be more accurate on the bigger touchscreen, it's more comfortable in your hand, and is easier to see.

4. coattails

Member coattails GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    If you play on an XL for a day, you will NEVER go back to the Lite screens. I have a DS lite collecting dust on a rack near my PC and I basically touch my XL atleast once every 2 hours [​IMG].
    There isn't any blockiness because of the resolution. In fact, you'll feel like you're making out more details because they're just so much more visible. You'll start to wonder how the hell you ever survived on those midget Lite screens. If you've ever owned a PSP before and carried it around in your pocket, then you'll know what it's like to have an XL in your pocket. It's not as "anti-portable" as people make it out to be, but it's definitely not as easy to carry around as a DS lite.

The system definitely isn't perfect though. Its hinges are purposely made slightly loose, and the top screen wiggles a little no matter what "hinge setting" you put it in. The hinges click on the 3 settings (laptop mode, regular mode, perpendicular mode) and it sometimes makes me wonder how long the system will last before the hinge cracks or something. I've yet to hear of a broken XL hinge.. but it feels like a real possibility. I personally loved how the DSi hinges were, only one real setting that was tight and stable.

The XL is also really f**king heavy. If you're like me and play yourself to sleep every night on your back, your arms will get tired really fast. There's also the fact that the system comes in butt ugly colors ... unless you want to shell out 300$ to import a white DSiLL.

All cons aside, I really think that the XL is a marvelous system. The screens are just beautiful. You have no idea what DS games really look like till you've seen them on XL screens.

5. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    heavy? maybe you just weak >.> lol jk [​IMG]

my friend let me play his sometime ... the dsi xl is awesome or wait for the 3Ds [​IMG]

6. lordrouge

Newcomer lordrouge Newbie

United States
    Get a DSi XL. You will not regret it, pure and simple. I (really my 2 kids) each have one of each. Sometimes they play with the Lite, sometimes the XL. I get the leftovers. You will find that there is a tiny place in your heart for each of them.

7. coattails

Member coattails GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    If I were a parent.. I'd buy an XL for the kid I love most, a Lite for the kid I love second best, and of course, I'd get a PSPGO for the child I hate most [​IMG] (MUAHAHA UNHACKABLE. GO BUY YOUR OWN GAMES CHILD.)

8. Knyaz Vladimir

Member Knyaz Vladimir 3DS Hacker

Canada
    If I had three kids, I'd buy a Lite for my most loved one (until we can hack XL to the max), an XL for the second one and a CD-i for the third one. Then I'd just take the CD-i.

9. johncenafan427

Member johncenafan427 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i have the regular dsi. i dont like the xl because i always carry my dsi in
    my pocket, and the xl definetely won't fit in my pocket.
    but since you said you'd play it at home, go for it!!!

10. Panzer Tacticer

Member Panzer Tacticer veteran human

Canada
    DS Lite vs the DSi XL. It's like comparing a 17" monitor with a 22" wide screen.

It does NOTHING to the game graphics. That's just brain dead dumb thinking.

I put it in my pocket just fine. If you can't put it in YOUR pocket, tell mom to buy you new pants.

You likely won't notice anything else in any meaningful way.

Did I miss slot 2? not one iota.

Have I used the camera? 5 times.

Have I used the sd card slot, not yet actually.

Is going online ok? I'd rather just use a real computer for that.

Oh and my Acekard 2i works just fine.

11. spark1223

Member spark1223 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I hope you haven't made a decision yet or my comments will be meaningless. I started out using the DSi, a very long time ago I had a DS Phat when the winter they came out (they probably didn't come out during the winter but I got one for my birthday which I know was really close to the release date). Anyways, I got the DSi around the same time it came out because I really wanted to see what it was about. Now, I'm not very rich, in fact believe it or not I'm the opposite of that, I'm lower class, or the lowest class I'm not employed and may never be due to being disabled (I'm not on SSDI yet, but I may be in a 2 to 3 years). So I have to sell my consoles to buy a new one I can't really afford to buy multiple consoles.

I thought the DSi was great first but eventually I started to do something I never thought I do: Miss the slot 2 feature. It wasn't so much a problem when I owned a DS Phat, I never really often played GBA games. And the only DS Accessory pak they had was the rumble pak. I actually missed that too. But some games use the slot 2, one mayjor one being guitar hero. Now, I never really cared to play that. But I guess you want to more when you can't or atleast thats true for me.

I actually traded my DSi in to get a DS Lite now which I love more than my DSi. DSi features have not been hacked yet, they may be later, but not right now. Also when I sold it, there were almost 0 games being sold anywhere I had seen that used the DSi features (there was DSi ware but I don't like DSi ware, I never play it).

So really think about this. Alot of people say you cannot see pixelation in the XL's screens but I notice a big difference between them: the pixel are bigger which does make it look "pixelated" even that doesn't really apply, but its true you get a lower DPI on the XL and thats what I think I'm noticing. Really think about this. If you possibly can keep your DS Lite

Oh yeah, XL is friggin huge. Which is really nice.

12. clegion

Member clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    i switched from DSL to XL
    DSL feels really tiny in comparison, but yeah XL is better, as for GBA, you can get supercard ds two
    i love my DSL, but i love my XL more

13. Samik

Newcomer Samik Advanced Member

Slovakia
    get xl man its worth it, bigger screens, it holds better... i have a dsi but i have bought it before xl was released, today i would go with xl...all new features are worth it comparing to dsl

14. OrGoN3

Member OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Personally, I'd stick with my DS Lite. Yes the XL has larger screens, but of the same resolution. I don't want to see the blocky edges in the game any more than I do now. It was meant for elderly people who can't see the DS Lite screens well, or someone who plays way too many RPGs.

As for seeing one, most Gamestops have one on display (and I emphasize display because you can't touch them or use them, just see a DSi next to an XL running the same demo video).

15. EyeZ

Member EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    When the Dsi first came out I wasn't interested in the additional functions it had over the DSlite, but the larger screens of the DSiXL interested me.

I am so glad I made my purchase of the DSiXL, it makes my gaming much more enjoyable, I can fully recommend you get the DSiXL.

16. Vyngard

Newcomer Vyngard Member

Germany
    i switched from a dsl to the xl about a month ago... and i dont regret it, i play more with it then ever before (i got pokemon hg with it, have a savegame around 100hrs now)

using the dsl now feels really wierd, its so tiny and the screens seems to be micro... lol i wouldnt switch back ever!

and for the slot 2.... i have a gba micro, i never played gba games on the ds, i hate having one screen black xD

17. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    you can always do what some people do and break off the top screen and set the gba to load to the bottom screen.

18. Vyngard

Newcomer Vyngard Member

Germany
    yeah that sounds reasonable [​IMG]

19. OrGoN3

Member OrGoN3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    And use a headphones so you can hear it?

20. spark1223

Member spark1223 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Why does this bother you? Set it to the top screen and you won't notice the other screen as much, its alot like the gba sp