Hacking DS Lite not powering on

raskal549

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so a friend of mines ask's me to take a look at his sons DS Lite. the problem is, it won't power on. i checked the F1 and F2 fuses with a multimeter and they both read good. also, it charges fine and the charge light stays on and everything. my friend tells me that before it crapped out, the power switch would work intermitantly. sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't. i asked him if it was dropped or got wet at all and he said "no". i had a spare DS Lite for parts and i swapped out the power switch. NO DIFFERENCE. any suggestions guys?? the keep in mind, the case has never been opened but the unit is fairly old.

so, things tried and tested:
-used different battery
-checked F1 and F2 fuses.
-took off the cover of the power switch to check for bad connection
-changed the power switch
-disconnected, inspected and reconnected all ribbons
-clean any residue from MOBO and ribbon connections with alchohol

raskal549

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*UPDATE: took the mother board and the bottom screen off. inspected the the back of both and found some blue-ish stain on the back of the screen. it looks like it maybe have been liquid that had already dried. the funny thing is, it was only in the middle of the screen. the stain was fairly small (around 12mm in diameter) and i also found some white residue on the mother board under the bottom screen. i clean the whole mobo carefully with alchohol and let it air dry. resassembled everything but no difference. PLS HELP GUYS!

Da-Bomb1

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GBATemp totally isn't the right place to ask such technical questions. About 99% of the active users here are total noobs. Apparently that includes me too, since I don't know how to remedy this situation either.
tongue.gif

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Hm, tricky one this. In most of the cases I've heard of where an individual component has failed (ie a screen) the power light at least flickers for a split second when it tries to startup (the DS starts, does a hardware check and automatically powers off if any piece of hardware it needs is missing or damaged), in which case all you need to do is identify and replace the broken part. But if you're getting absolutely no signs of life at all with good fuses then it doesn't sound good.

Neither does that patch you mentioned under the screen. It might be worth trying to swap the bottom screen with your spare anyway. Nothing to lose really
smile.gif
In another discussion about water damaged DS's I remember someone mentioning the screens were particularly prone to dying horribly in liquid (link)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte