Hacking DS lite lifespan...

ufotrash

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How long has your DS lite lasted until something broke on it?
Mine lasted me at least three years before the hinge finally snapped.
Just wanna know what is the norm...

I fixed up a DS for my cousin and now the top screen is acting kinda funny. He hasn't dropped it (he says, I'm taking his word for it I guess) or anything like that, he just was playing a game, and whenever he presses the L trigger, the top screens picture goes haywire. I've opened it up and and it was REALLY dusty inside, so I cleaned it all out and all of that...but the problem is persisting. So I guess the screen is just old and worn out? Or...if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear 'em? ? ? ?

ufotrash

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, it was all good, I mean, he's had the DS a couple months already before this happened. Buuut the DS I got the screen from, I couldn't tell you how old it was, as I just got it used. And I guess it could be the ribbon cable...though the only thing rubbing against it when the trigger is pressed would be the wifi and mic wires....is it possible to actually use the trigger SO much that it wore out the ribbon cable???

SixtySixHundred

Trophies
XP
Country
I had my DSLite for just over 3 weeks before the right hinge snapped. 1st it started making a 'cracking' noise when I opened it, then a small bit of plastic fell off and then it wouldn't sit right. When it was open, the screen folded all the way out and didn't sit at a slight angle like it used to.

It was repaired, for free of course, and the new DSLite is fine and has been for a good 6 months but it could go any time!

gary2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when ur pressing the L+R buttons it might be moving the motherboard and moving the ribbon cable out the slot. make sure the it is fastened down properly and make sure the motherboaed is screwed down good

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Got mine in '06, mic broke in '08 (pointy things+electronics=the stupidest idea ever), hinge broke in early '09 (playing DS on my bed, my dad comes up and startles me. Looked at my DS, the hinge is broken), top screen broke due to spilled soda (whoops) in late '09 (this caused the DS to not boot). And in March (2010), I got the DS to work for about 2-3 hours, just enough time to flash my new Acekard 2i to 1.4. I then attempted to clean the ribbon cable (of the top screen), and ended up ripping it in half.
I sent it to my cousin in the Philippines (there are DS repair shops there. Too lazy to fix myself
tongue.gif
), and apparently it costs about $125 CAD to fix it completely (New DS lites cost $140 CAD).
Also, If I were to fix the DS lite myself, it'd cost about $34 CAD to buy all the parts from DX.

GreatCrippler

Greatness Fallen
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right hinge broke on mine a couple of months after purchase. Tossed it in a drawer, and forgot about it. About a year later, dug it out, superglued it. Works fine. Should probably put it in a new case, but it's just a backup to my DSi now.

roguetrip

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had mine for about 3yrs now. Mostly looks like new except around the D-pad and A/B buttons where the plastic has gone from the dull to glossy look. It plays fine but I'm gentle with it.

Now my gf's lil brothers both had DS lites. The older one had his before I got mine so it probably lasted about 2 or so years before he broke the hinge on it. The younger brother had the Crimson DS Lite shortly after it came out. I guess something happened to it and the older brother attempted to make a repair on it. That didn't go well at all. They both have since gotten new DS Lites and I just asked for the old ones to try and fix.

I have managed to repair one of the DS lites using parts from both of them but still have a sticking L button, I see some things I can try to make it work since it looks like the switch its self is ok. Now in the one I haven't repaired has a Bad top LCD screen with tore ribbon cable, busted R button switch, the VR1 pot has been torn off the motherboard, and a broken hinge, and a very scratched up touch screen. I don't think I'm attempting to repair that one
frown.gif

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bought mine brand new in mid-2008, but only had a total of 7 DS games aside from 3 GBA carts by March of this year. I didn't play it as frequently as I play my XL now, and in comparison it got virtually no use until I gave it to my boyfriend when the XL was coming out.
It is still not damaged at all, but it's the white DS Lite model, and despite being handled so rarely, the shoulder buttons "aged" differently than all the other parts and are now a different shade of white than the rest of the console. Could be because I used to smoke in my bedroom.

I did get an original DS when they came out, but after playing a mario game, feel the magic XX/YY, and beating trace memory i got bored with it and sold it on ebay, keeping my SP but eventually selling that too .

X D D X

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I've had my lite for just over 3 years and it's seems to be going fine. The only problem is that the D-pad is really worn out but other than that it's fine.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
mine still exists however doesn´t have touchscreen working, nor L & R .

In april aged 2 years old :3

I´m using my GF´s DSlite now :3

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Had mine since Christmas 08. My trigger buttons died about 6 months after I got it. They still kinda work, gotta press had though, and for games like LostMagic it really sucks.

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine is a little over three years old with no technical defects. Everything still functions flawlessly, though the glossy plastic casing is now riddled with scratches despite the most delicate handling.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had my black DS lite since Sept. 2006 and it still works fine. The buttons are starting to get a little mushy, but that's it. No hinge cracks, no broken shoulder buttons, no major scratches. It still works as intended.

But then, I doubt I play it as much as some of you younger people do, so it's just that mine hasn't worn as fast.

fartos32

Trophies
XP
Country
my fat ds is still going strong. the touch screen has shitloads of scratches on it from no screen protector since i bought it 4 years ago. gave it to a friend about a month ago when my iEDGE came in the mail.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte