Hacking DS Lite FINALLY develops the Crack

Darkspark

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
For many that bought White DS Lites on launch, I urge you to check your White Lite for the dreaded crack.

Oh, how I laughed at somebody whose DS developed a crack within 2 weeks of him having it. I thought it was someway down to the way he handled it, as it literally looked a year old in the 2 weeks he had owned it.

Well, It now seems that he got off lucky. He replaced his white ds for a black one, which is still going strong 7 months later. The build quality is much better than my white ds, the volume control is more firm and less prone to rattling, the screen hinges open and close smoothly, without having to "click" into place...

Anyway, I need to get it replaced fast, as the warranty period is nearly up.

For those of you that haven't got the crack, a warning symptom is if the top screen starts getting slightly loose. I noticed this about a month ago, and thought little of it. The left hand side of the screen could literally be lifted up and down a few degrees, whilst the right hand hinge still felt solid.

I think the reason it took so long to develop the crack, was because I take really good care of it. Now that's not to say you should try to not take care of it, but simulating a little wear or tear on your unit before the warranty period is advised by me, for the reasons I created this post.

Yah, not particularly fun or engaging, yet let this just be a reminder.

CHECK YOUR DS FOR FAULTS BEFORE THE WARRANTY PERIOD PASSSES.

fryguy

Trophies
XP
Country
i have a black DS Lite and my volume control is pretty "loose" :/
And my screen also click into place.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My friend treats his DS like trash (white DS - it's got this really obvious yellow tint from cheese balls or some shit) and his only recently developed the crack.

TLSpartan

Kills threads
Trophies
XP
Country
i have a black DS Lite and my volume control is pretty "loose" :/
And my screen also click into place.

Same, my volume control slider on my onyx is very loose. I can put it in past the plastic and have to kinda nudge to get it back in place.

Same here for the volume control slider. Not with the screen though. I heard that if you make the screen only slightly diagonal(ie when it clicks) isnt as bad forr it when you make it completley horizontal.

Darkspark

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Problem is, mine clicks like somebody cracking their knuckles. Whereas the black one clicks with a padded locking into place. The white "clicking" must put more strain upon the hinge.

Im hoping to exchange it for the black DS Lite. I've given up on white, even though it looks better.

ndela007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figure the replacement would be fine, as often the newer production models have some minute unannounced fixes to these types of problems.

zacstill

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A month before my warranty was up I got the crack, so I mailed it back.

I got the same unit back, with new screens and a new top half. Maybe they didn't just send me a new DS because they're having such trouble meeting demand in Japan? They even gave me some generic screen protectors because I didn't take mine off before I mailed it in!

My polar white definitely had a more distinct and loud *click* when opening it up before repair than it does now that I got it repaired.

However, sometimes I experience "screen burn" I guess it what it could be called. If I turn my DS off and then on within a short period of time (10 or so seconds) it will flash with whatever image was on the screen as I turned it on for a second, all pixely, and then go back to normal. If I turn it off and don't turn it back on for a little bit, this doesn't happen. Does anyone know why this could happen?

Good thing I noticed when I did and not a month later.

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
My Launch-DS-phat has no flaws like that
tongue.gif
Though it looks like it's five years old or something... or someone's been using sand paper on it.
tongue.gif
I treat it like shit... (since the first scratches (due to a ds pouch not keeping the ds inside, falling out and lied in my bag along with pens and books and stuff), I stoped caring)

smile.gif
So I love my phattie! No cracks or nothing
smile.gif

but isn't the problem solved with the lite? I mean, OK if the first "launch-dsl's" had this prob.. but does it remain??

dbgtdob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my white polar ds has about 5 cracks, the left hinge is cracked and sevel small ones running all over top, not the hindge but on the plastic in between my R button and the power/charging light, i let my niece play with my ds sometimes and she opens and closes it alot.

anyone else notice it?

Deadmon

A Temper
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I figure the replacement would be fine, as often the newer production models have some minute unannounced fixes to these types of problems.

Yep, Nintendo's been fixing the problem with hinges recently I believe..
My friend recently got a black DS lite, and he's been trying to crack the hinge (opening 180 I guess), just to ensure warranty, but his refused to crack. Eventually he went overboard and disconnected a wire inside the Lite causing it not to turn on anymore, which he got warranty replaced for him anyway.

Or maybe it's just the white ones that have this crack problem, I had 3 lites so far, (original and replaced twice), all cracked hinges. I gave up trying to replace it again, and I'll just go before warranty expires or something.
smile.gif

Oh, for Torontoians, the NESA repair place in Scarborough is excellent for replacements, they basically give you a "refurbished unit", which technically is brand new, no scratches or anything.

sjdestiny

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
I don't think it's just the white one, I bought a navy blue ds lite and the right side eventually cracked after two weeks. After a while, the right side started to totally fall apart. All I did was patched it up with tape and placed a casing and it worked well again. >_>

Should have went with warranty

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had a crack, emailed them, got a ups sticker, paid 4 bucks for shipping to send in my white lite. got it back within the week.

the one i currently is developing another crack. good thing actually since it actually gives me an excuse to send it back in again, since it has shitty screens and a fubar'ed pixel.

it'd be great if nintendo officially address this problem since most of the people i know with a ds lite W/ the crack don't know they can send it back in.

kiop

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my ds lite has a crack on the hinge too. I have about a month left on my warranty. I have been hearing that Nintendo has stopped fixing the crack because it doesn't really affect the gameplay.

Should i try to call them and send it back?
If so, what would be a good response to a question they might ask?

EDIT: I live in California, U.S if that matters.

EDIT 2:
QUOTE said:
Please note: Nintendo's warranty does not cover physical damage (such as a cracked screen on a handheld unit, spilled liquid, or scratched game discs). If your Nintendo product needs repair or replacement due to physical damage, and is within the warranty period, please call our Consumer Service department at 1-800-255-3700 to discuss available repair options.

I also found that on their website...

PuyoDead

Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo WILL cover the repair of a cracked hinge, no matter what. They know it's a flaw (last I heard, it was from over tightening the hinge at some factories), and will repair/replace it for free. Just call that number on the back of the system, describe the cracked hinge, and you'll either get a shipping label sent out, or a whole new system with shipping label sent out.

Mine developed a crack, my girlfriend's, and a co-worker's. They fixed all of them for free. Mine had to be sent in for repair, my girlfriend's was sent it, and she got a new one back, and my co-worker was sent a new one, and sent his in afterwards.

Darkspark

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just a quick question, when you get a replacement unit, does the 1yr warranty start from the beginning again? I would have assumed yes, as when my memory card reader broke down, I was simple sent a new one, with a fresh serial number and warranty.

Im hoping to swap mine in the store I got it from, which they simply swap for a brand new boxed unit, then stick a faulty sticker over the old box, in order to send back to Nintendo for you I guess.

ndela007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a quick question, when you get a replacement unit, does the 1yr warranty start from the beginning again? I would have assumed yes, as when my memory card reader broke down, I was simple sent a new one, with a fresh serial number and warranty.

Im hoping to swap mine in the store I got it from, which they simply swap for a brand new boxed unit, then stick a faulty sticker over the old box, in order to send back to Nintendo for you I guess.

Last I heard is that depending on the situation you will more often than not get a new warranty on any new items sent to you. If you get your original dsl sent back to you with fixes, then you remain on the same warranty period pre-fix.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    light27 @ light27: oh it’s the least I could do +1