Hacking ds lite does not fully work very well after case exhange

dashneo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
recently I have replaced my nintendo ds lite case with a translucent blue colored one because one hinge was broken and I needed to replace the touch screen anyways. so it took me and my friend a few hours to get the ds internals into the new case and the buttons fitting correctly. before I re-assembled it completely I held the battery on the contacts to see if it would work, and it didn't. what happens is the top screen flashes for a second and turns off if there is an acekard2 in it. if there is just a game boy advance game in it, it will boot the gba game but the top screen is just a bunch of white and colored lines. I finished assembling it and nothing changed, it still didn't work any better. I tried plugging in the charger and it DID charge the battery (idk if that matters or not).... I replaced the clear part of the ds bottom touch screen too...but it fits normally. I googled a bit about this problem too and all I could find were things saying that the fuse was busted but I know it has to work since gba games work on the top screen. can anyone help tell me what is wrong (please)?

thieves like us

chaos personified
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
well, for one thing I did write an extensive guide which can be found here on gbatemp that details you're exact problem

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=98240

however, in the interest of saving you time, it sounds like you didn't re-insert the flexible cable for the top display in all of the way.

edit:
if after checking where the flexible cable is inserted into the connector, and all looks good, then there is a good possibility that you have ruined any number of leads in the flexible cable and will need to replace the upper display (along with having to unsolder and change out your existing speakers to move them to the new display).

mobypr

Trophies
XP
Country
You might want to check the cables that connect the screens to the board. One of them may not be fully inserted in their socket.

dashneo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah I did try that, I guess that means it's broken
tongue.gif
I did have to fiddle with it allot when trying to get it to go through the hole...thanks for all the replies btw

jruschme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that the top screen flashes, but turns off immediately sounds like the connection to the BOTTOM screen is not inserted correctly.

The lines on the top screen may mean that the top screen cable is also not inserted completely correctly, but I'd check after getting the bottom screen working.

Don't panic! You probably just need to reseat one or both screen cables.

John

P.S. Testing with battery on the bare motherboard was the right thing to do. Just don't bother assembling, though, until everthing works and be sure to check the touchscreen, too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They should've just made it a movie at 50 minutes
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    No from Paramount Plus or whatever it is
    +1
    Psi now has access to every streaming and cable channel out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Eh I'd rather just download and delete is it already up on paramount?
    Yeah it's on now
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @Psionic Roshambo, why are most new south park episodes half hour specials?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Psionic Roshambo, let me get a Netflix account I've always been nice to you
    +1
    I made a honey pepper glazed turkey breast for dinner turned out pretty bomb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We can Netflix and chill
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Nvm not half hour, but hour long
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Normal south park episodes are already half hour
    Got 2 free Xumo boxes they work pretty good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm happy to get anything most series don't make it pass 6 seasons
    Except Stars and Encore those are being a bitch lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I may consider that onn pro box finally a media box with type A ;O
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, cuz the companies don't want em to
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No it's revenue and demand south park could argue has a bigger audience than family guy about the same
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Family guy is worth 300mill south parks worth 1Bill according to the interwebs
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, probably cuz family guy is more disliked compared to south park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It just does the same formula south park can press buttons without going overboard
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    And bc most of the family guy budget is spent on the voice actors rather than on the animation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Southpark could spend 30k on a animated dick and people would laugh at it
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    lol one prescription to Lizzo
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    who is lizzo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn