DS Lite bottom screen problems.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by rushpunk, Aug 10, 2010.

Aug 10, 2010
  1. rushpunk
    OP

Newcomer rushpunk Member

United States
    My girlfriend dropped my DS lite a few weeks ago. Everything seemed fine until last week the bottom ds screen started flickering. The flickering goes on for a few minutes then it goes to a white screen. The top screen still works fine and I can still pay some games (as long as they only use the top screen). Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with it? I have a Y wing screwdriver so I can take it apart. (it's out of warrenty).

2. ByteMunch

Member ByteMunch GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Take it apart, and check the ribbon cables.

3. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    it sounds like the lower display has suffered enough shock that it broke but will occasionally display information. the good news is that the lower display is much easier to get to and swap out (you don't have to dis-assemble the entire DSlite).

replacement lower displays go for about 10-14usd, however you will need to transfer over your existing touch screen and the [black] double-sided adhesive frame the lies between the display and the touch screen when swapping out the lower display.

make sure that you carefully unclip both of the ribbon connectors. the larger one opens one away, while the smaller one for the touch screen opens in the opposite direction. (see the guide here on gbatemp for detailed information)

to remove the touch screen and adhesive frame from the lower lcd panel, I usually carefully run my thumbnail between them (starting at a corner to separate the 2 pieces (99% of the time, the adhesive frame will remain stuck to the underside of the touch screen vs. the clean, smoother metal frame surface of the lcd display) and then slowly work my thumbnail along one of the edges, separating the 2 pieces more and more until you can pull them apart.

make sure to thoroughly clean the surface of the lower display prior to re-assembly. for proper placement of the touch screen, I will usually drop it into position inside the lower half of the shell (so that it sits properly, blow some compressed air on the back side (to eliminate any dust particles than may have settled), and then drop the lower display on top of the touch screen. once you've done that, you can gently press down on the backside of the lower display so that the adhesive frame forms a seal all the way around the display, attaching the touch screen and locking out any dust and/or dirt from getting trapped between the 2 pieces.

after that, its just a matter of re-assembly in reverse order (again, using the guide). you want to be careful re-inserting both of the ribbon cables and also minding the positions of the plastics switches for both the on/off and volume controls so that they are in the same position as the actual physical switches so that you don't break anything when replacing the bottom side of the lower shell.

feel free to shoot me a pm if you have any questions or concerns

4. dm2000

Newcomer dm2000 Member

Italy
    I have the same problem (stripes for few minutes and then a blank bottom screen). Unfortunately, even after changing the bottom screen with a new one (tested on another NDSL), the screen is white: I can see a grid of lines (similar to the one appearing when DS is initialized and asks for nickname, date&time, ...), retroillumination leds are on, but no image/text appears on this screen. Initially, the upper screen works properly (at the startup I see the "NintendoDs" written) and also touch-screen works. Now, after many trials, also the upper screen is blank, probably due to a problem with its flat cable. I have ordered a new NDSL, but I would like to repair the old one.
    So, I would like to know:
    -) if the two screens have to work properly when the touch screen flat cable is not connected;
    -) if regulation of VR1 and VR2 trimmers are fundamental to see something on screens or them are used only to "optimize" image quality.

Many thanks in advance

dm

5. thieves like us

Member thieves like us chaos personified

United States
    I can't answer the question regarding the VR1 and VR2 potentiometers, however I do know that the ribbon connectors need to be plugged in (for top and bottom screens) and the wifi module as well or the ds won't even power up. it doesn't matter if the touch screen cable is connected