Homebrew DS(i) NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

nicholascarrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone had any issues with the DSiWare 'Dragon Quest Wars'?

I got the CIA converted to NDS via ctrtool, and then installed it as a System Title via TMFH. The game shows up in the regular launcher and starts up, but says 'There is not enough free space to save.'

I've got a 2GB SD card, and it's got plenty of space left. I've got Unlaunch 1.9 and the 1.3.3 update for HiyaCFW.

Cave Story and Shantae, Risky's Revenge work fine, is it just an issue with this title?
did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem with Dragon Quest Wars in melonDS, everything else I tested seems to work fine.

nicholascarrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone had any issues with the DSiWare 'Dragon Quest Wars'?

I got the CIA converted to NDS via ctrtool, and then installed it as a System Title via TMFH. The game shows up in the regular launcher and starts up, but says 'There is not enough free space to save.'

I've got a 2GB SD card, and it's got plenty of space left. I've got Unlaunch 1.9 and the 1.3.3 update for HiyaCFW.

Cave Story and Shantae, Risky's Revenge work fine, is it just an issue with this title?
did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem with Dragon Quest Wars in melonDS, everything else I tested seems to work fine.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Are you using melonDS v0.9.4? It was an issue with save generation and should be fixed with v0.9.4, make sure to delete and reinstall the title after updating so that it generates a new save file.

If you're already on v0.9.4 then not sure why as I tested it and it was working for me... Perhaps use NTM to install it instead of melonDS's title manager, though I'm honestly not sure why it wouldn't be working...

nicholascarrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I was on v0.9.4 but it turns out I was on v0.9.3. I downloaded v0.9.4 and tested the nand and it still gave me the same error. However, then I deleted Dragon Quest Wars from the nand, and reinstalled it using melonDS v0.9.4's title manager, and it worked! Thanks.

Reactions: RocketRobz and Pk11

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Does Download play/multiplayer work if someone in the chain is a flashcart user? Assuming their roms are good dumps of course.
Yep. Some trimmed ROMs won't work with Download Play (only recent versions of GodMode9, GodMode9i, NDS Tokyo Trim, and maybe a couple trimmers do it right), but beyond that shouldn't have anything to worry about.

hatsnack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm interested in getting a GBA flashcart that I could use in my DS Lite, and would really like one that sits flush in slot-2. It seems like the EZ Flash Omega (not DE) is my best option there, though I understand that it has high battery drain and less features than Omega DE and Everdrive. All that said though, I saw someone saying in a recent thread here that their ideal DS Lite setup was a DSTwo flashcart in slot-1 and a EZ Flash 3in1 in slot-2.

So my question is: what would make the EZ Flash 3in1 more desirable than an EZ Flash Omega? (And do there happen to be other options for GBA flashcarts that sit flush in a DS Lite?)

lifehackerhansol

i write working(?) code
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm interested in getting a GBA flashcart that I could use in my DS Lite, and would really like one that sits flush in slot-2. It seems like the EZ Flash Omega (not DE) is my best option there, though I understand that it has high battery drain and less features than Omega DE and Everdrive. All that said though, I saw someone saying in a recent thread here that their ideal DS Lite setup was a DSTwo flashcart in slot-1 and a EZ Flash 3in1 in slot-2.

So my question is: what would make the EZ Flash 3in1 more desirable than an EZ Flash Omega? (And do there happen to be other options for GBA flashcarts that sit flush in a DS Lite?)
The EZ Flash 3in1 has DS-mode features (Memory Expansion Pak, Rumble Pak, etc). The EZ-Flash Omega DE also has this. The regular Omega does not. It's not worth it to get a 3in1 still (if you even can) because it can't exactly be used standalone. You need a DS flashcart and some ancient homebrew app to make it work, while with the Omega/DE you can use it standalone with whatever method of booting the GBA cartridge.

I'd just get the Omega if you really want that flush look. Functionally, the EZFODE is the way to go, though, since it does everything the 3in1 does and more. Omega is purely a GBA cartridge.

spkatsi

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Need some help with the initial setup of TWiLight Menu++ on
The error code is "couldn't find _DS_MENU.dat"

Nintendo DS Lite - 2GB SD on FAT16

The thing is that I just got the "R4" clone from aliexpress so I don't know which product I own.

I have followed steps 1,2,3,4,5 of the guide here.

What can I try?

UPDATE: SOLVED

Pictures in this thread matched my own card card I figured things :)

Last edited by spkatsi,

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Since there's already one for the 3DS, I thought why not make one for the DS(i) as well?
With the recent rise of the DSi scene with users using Unlaunch, hiyaCFW, and TWiLight Menu++ with nds-bootstrap, it's about time there's a noob paradise for the DS(i).

Basically, this thread was made so that hopefully this subforum won't get clogged with the same question(s). :P

If you need help urgently or you aren't getting your question answered here, you can also try asking in those servers below.

DS⁽ⁱ⁾ Mode Hacking! Discord server: https://discord.gg/yD3spjv

Common FAQs

Q: How do I update Unlaunch?
A: Download the latest one here: https://problemkaputt.de/unlaunch.htm, and extract "unlaunch.dsi" to the SD root.

If you're on 1.8 or later:
Power on your DSi console, then select "UNLAUNCH".
After selecting it, select "INSTALL NOW".
You should now be on the latest version.

If you're on 1.7 or below:
Extract "unlaunch.dsi" to the SD root.
Rename your existing "bootcode.dsi" file to "hiya.dsi" (if using hiyaCFW), then rename "unlaunch.dsi" to "bootcode.dsi".
Put your SD card in the DSi console, then power it on.
If you see an "INSTALL NOW" option, select it.
You should now be on the latest version.

Q: How do I uninstall Unlaunch?
A: Download Unlaunch above, boot "unlaunch.dsi", then select "UNINSTALL".
It is not recommended to do so, as there's a high chance of bricking.

Q: Uninstalling Unlaunch says that my DSi will be rendered useless, will that brick my DSi?
A: No, it won't. That's just NoCash's way of saying that the DSi will be back to stock/unmodified.
Might be good to add links to the dsi.cfw.guide and DS-Homebrew Wiki FAQs in the OP here. Links for convenience:
(TWiLight and bootstrap FAQs are definitely worth linking imo, the rest are probably less important but may still be worth linking)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does twilight menu have options to add overlays for black borders?
it can use widescreen if that's what you mean. that's at least for the 3ds, but I think each game has to have a cheat applied to it. every game I've tried has worked though including twilight menu itself.

Reactions: Uxiel

Uxiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Sorry i wasn't too specific, i meant for gba games, using gbarunner2 on dsi xl, some games don't display full screen properly due to glitches so i use "enable center and mask option" for they, it happens to me with castlevania circle of the moon and pokemon pinball, i was wondering if an overlay could be used on the black borders with "enable center and mask option".

Reactions: banjo2

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
pk11.us
XP
Country
United States
Sorry i wasn't too specific, i meant for gba games, using gbarunner2 on dsi xl, some games don't display full screen properly due to glitches, it happens to me with castlevania circle of the moon and pokemon pinball, i was wondering if an overlay could be used on the black borders with "enable center and mask option".
Ahh, yep. See this guide for how to make a GBARunner2 border. If you don't want to/can't use grit then you can join our DS⁽ⁱ⁾ Mode Hacking! Discord server and the bot there can convert borders from a 256×192 PNG/BMP file automatically by using the .border command with a linked/attached image in #end-of-server.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Seems like your wifey likes hers black. :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "BS" stands for "Bowel Scraping" because that's what whole grain does.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I've been eating honey wheat bread scrumptious