Homebrew DS(i) NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

ellepacasso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What sort of text would you search for, and what makes you think it will enable you to "find what words correspond to what values"?
There was an app called Hexposure that had this feature. I'm trying to identify the values that pertain to the names and characters in Nintendogs and Petz Hamsterz 2 and edit them to get the specific characters I want because they're randomly generated in each save file.
Post automatically merged:

Trying to view the NBFC in its tile format but when I select "open as" and then tile nothing happens. On the GitHub site for Tinke you can see the images of the files but I can't see any of them for some reason.

Attachments

• tempsnip.png
    tempsnip.png
    147 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by ellepacasso,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There was an app called Hexposure that had this feature.
I still don't know what you're trying to do, but I'm sure you can find that app again if that's what you want.

I'm trying to identify the values that pertain to the names and characters in Nintendogs and Petz Hamsterz 2 and edit them to get the specific characters I want because they're randomly generated in each save file.
Are you trying to edit a ROM, or trying to edit a save file..?

ellepacasso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still don't know what you're trying to do, but I'm sure you can find that app again if that's what you want.

Are you trying to edit a ROM, or trying to edit a save file..?

So in save editors for DS games like Animal Crossing for example you can edit what villagers you have, edit your town map, change your character's name, rename your town, etc. and there are hex values you identify so you know what to modify in the file. I am trying to edit the NPC characters and the neighborhood map in Nintendogs and I am trying to edit the NPC characters in Petz Hamsterz 2. The NPC characters for both games are randomly generated in each save file.

I'm trying to edit the save file but was trying to identify the values in the rom file in Tinke so I would know what to look for. Because you can see in the Nintendogs rom file there are folders like "NPC" which contain files like npcdog_0_1, npcdog_2.2, npcdog_3_0, etc. And in the Petz Hamsterz 2 rom file there are folders like "NPCCage" that contain files like "NPCBasic.bin" and "HamsterNameList.bin".

With Tinke you can see these folders but Tinke only works for rom files not save files.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm trying to edit the save file but was trying to identify the values in the rom file in Tinke so I would know what to look for.
I very much doubt that looking at the data in the ROM is going to somehow help you figure out the values in the save data.

You should just get several different save files, compare their differences, and see if you can determine what differences in the save data correspond to different data in the game.

The alternative is to load up the data in an emulator on a PC. Some emulators have RAM editing capabilities, so you can edit the values in the game while it is running, and then save them to the save data. This is especially useful if the game somehow uses compression or checksums in the save data that would otherwise prevent it from being edited directly.

ellepacasso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I very much doubt that looking at the data in the ROM is going to somehow help you figure out the values in the save data.

You should just get several different save files, compare their differences, and see if you can determine what differences in the save data correspond to different data in the game.

The alternative is to load up the data in an emulator on a PC. Some emulators have RAM editing capabilities, so you can edit the values in the game while it is running, and then save them to the save data. This is especially useful if the game somehow uses compression or checksums in the save data that would otherwise prevent it from being edited directly.
I'll definitely try both just thought there may be an easier method, where I could find a direct English translation. For viewing the script of the games for searching for lines of text how can I find the character encoding for the game? Assuming ASCII but just want to make sure.

Last edited by ellepacasso,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just thought there may be an easier method
Sir, none of this is easy and there are no shortcuts.

where I could find a direct English translation. For viewing the script of the games for searching for lines of text
I say again: this is probably not going to tell you anything about what is in the save data.

how can I find the character encoding for the game? Assuming ASCII but just want to make sure.
Usually by "relative searching", the same way encoding is usually found. But If the script is compressed in the ROM, then you are never going to find it there even if you know the encoding.

ellepacasso

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sir, none of this is easy and there are no shortcuts.

I say again: this is probably not going to tell you anything about what is in the save data.

Usually by "relative searching", the same way encoding is usually found. But If the script is compressed in the ROM, then you are never going to find it there even if you know the encoding.

Okay so per my earlier question, I found that under DeSmuMe with the Nitro File System I can view the save file similarly to Tinke, as shown below:

Screenshot(1).PNG

Here's what I'm curious about and if none of these work I'll give up lol:

1. In what formats can I view files like .dog, .sci, .narc, .nsbmd, etc.? In cases like the .bmg files we know this is for audio for example, so for the .dog files can I view any of them as images, icons, etc.? This will allow me to narrow things down and make changes more easily than expected.

2. What application can I open the .bin files? I know you can't directly but if there is an app where I can view and edit the files this will help immensely. Similarly to .txt files would be a bonus

3. What you were saying about comparing different save files: what app will allow me to upload the different save files and view their differences for direct comparison?

4. Can I modify the files through Nitro by extracting different parts of the files I want for example to desktop and replacing them?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I found that under DeSmuMe with the Nitro File System I can view the save file similarly to Tinke, as shown below:
I'm not sure what you're looking at is the content of the save file as it seems to me there are a lot of things there that have no business being in a save file.

In what formats can I view files like .dog, .sci, .narc, .nsbmd, etc.? In cases like the .bmg files we know this is for audio for example, so for the .dog files can I view any of them as images, icons, etc.?
Something like ".dog" is almost certainly some sort of custom file format developed by the devs from scratch. Unless someone else has already done work on the game (in which case Google will probably tell you, as it's not like people tend to keep these things secret), there is no magical way to view it except to open it up in a hex editor. You can try corrupting random bits inside it and see if it changes anything in the game – but once again, if the data is compressed or if there's some sort of checksum, that won't get you very far. If there's graphical data you might be able to see something in Tile Molester if you try the different formats. Otherwise you will have to debug the program code.

nsbmd, at least, is a common model format that you can learn about by Googling.

What application can I open the .bin files?
See above. What were you expecting, exactly!?

what app will allow me to upload the different save files and view their differences for direct comparison?
Find a hex editor with a file-compare function. Not sure what the preferred one is these days. frhed can do it, I think.

Can I modify the files through Nitro by extracting different parts of the files I want for example to desktop and replacing them?
Why don't you try it and find out?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3. What you were saying about comparing different save files: what app will allow me to upload the different save files and view their differences for direct comparison?
Find a hex editor with a file-compare function. Not sure what the preferred one is these days. frhed can do it, I think.
HxD is another one.

Koen22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi! I have a question, since it’s possible to restore a NAND to a dsi, is it now possible to region change the console, using another NAND? Maybe with using a hardmod?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I have a question, since it’s possible to restore a NAND to a dsi,
Just the one you made with & from that system, and not nand backups from other systems. And that requires a hardmod.
is it now possible to region change the console,
Don't think it's possible. May i ask why you want to do that, other than maybe change the system menu language -not sure if you can change it to English (or other languages) if you have a JP system- since you can run any DS game without any issues? Maybe 'cause you want to play region-exclusive DSiWare games?

Koen22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just the one you made with & from that system, and not nand backups from other systems. And that requires a hardmod.

Don't think it's possible. May i ask why you want to do that, other than maybe change the system menu language -not sure if you can change it to English (or other languages) if you have a JP system- since you can run any DS game without any issues? Maybe 'cause you want to play region-exclusive DSiWare games?
Yeah the main reason are dsiware games, but also because I just did it on my N3DS XL and was wondering if it would be possible by now since I quite like modding and was looking for another challenge :)

Nuckleware

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Right, so it's been 3 years since the last post I can find stating it's safe to uninstall through Unlaunch's own uninstaller. Is it still safe? Yes, i know there is still a slim chance. Always will. But is it the safest available?

Do I need to remove anything before uninstallation?
Things I've done/installed.
Twilight through Memory Pit.
Dumptool.
Unlaunch.

I came from that dsi guide.
I have not done anything since after I accidently installed unlaunch. (Was pondering whether I should until I hit B, which generally is a "back out" button, but apparently not for unlaunch menu..)

From what I read I need to run Unlaunch.dsi directly, not through twilight. Is that correct?
If not, please assist.
Thank you.

Last edited by Nuckleware,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right, so it's been 3 years since the last post I can find stating it's safe to uninstall through Unlaunch's own uninstaller. Is it still safe? Yes, i know there is still a slim chance. Always will. But is it the safest available?
I'm not sure if it's safe or not. We generally recommend using Safe NAND Manager to restore a pre-Unlaunch NAND backup, if you no longer need Unlaunch.
Do I need to remove anything before uninstallation?
Things I've done/installed.
Twilight through Memory Pit.
Dumptool.
Unlaunch.
No, you do not need to remove anything.
I came from that dsi guide.
I have not done anything since after I accidently installed unlaunch. (Was pondering whether I should until I hit B, which generally is a "back out" button, but apparently not for unlaunch menu..)

From what I read I need to run Unlaunch.dsi directly, not through twilight. Is that correct?
If not, please assist.
Thank you.
`Unlaunch.dsi` should be launched using TWiLight Menu++. If it doesn't work that way, make sure TWLMenu++ is up to date. If the issue persists, the guide also suggests using GodMode9i to launch `Unlaunch.dsi`.

Nuckleware

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'm not sure if it's safe or not. We generally recommend using Safe NAND Manager to restore a pre-Unlaunch NAND backup, if you no longer need Unlaunch.

No, you do not need to remove anything.

`Unlaunch.dsi` should be launched using TWiLight Menu++. If it doesn't work that way, make sure TWLMenu++ is up to date. If the issue persists, the guide also suggests using GodMode9i to launch `Unlaunch.dsi`.
Restored Nand.
Restarted dsi, boots to dsi health warning screen instead of Unlaunch.
Crisis averted?

If so, hurray.

Winduss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I updated Twilightmenu, HiyaCFW and Unlaunch after noticing I was a few years behind updates on my DSi. Now for whatever reason it just doesn't want to boot Hiya anymore. I cannot find anything about this and only vague answers. It shouldn't have anything to do with the amount of titles and going back to a previous version doesn't seem to fix anything. It just says 'error occured'

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated Twilightmenu, HiyaCFW and Unlaunch after noticing I was a few years behind updates on my DSi. Now for whatever reason it just doesn't want to boot Hiya anymore. I cannot find anything about this and only vague answers. It shouldn't have anything to do with the amount of titles and going back to a previous version doesn't seem to fix anything. It just says 'error occured'
Have you tried deleting "dummy.bin" in "sd:/hiya/"?

therealethan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way I can redownload the internet browser onto the standard DSi menu with CFW? For some reason it was deleted when I obtained it

Oh and one more thing—is it better to avoid downloading UNLAUNCH because of the bricking risk or is it better? And what is that risk exactly?(what could cause the brick?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, 4th what?