Gaming DS Games on a 3DS

vodoochild81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you guys consider getting a 3DS an upgrade to a DS for playing DS games? I love the analogue support as that is something I have been whining about for years...but I hear the graphics look poor...Is the DS screen bigger on the 3ds vs the ds lite? Let me know what you guys think.

vodoochild81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does that work? But that didn't answer my question...do you consider it an upgrade or would you rather play DS games on a DS lite or Dsi?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
No, it's a rumor that games look a bit better than with the pre-installed firmware. And still, DS games look terrible on a 3DS. Better play DS games with a DS lite or DSi.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
I think its worth upgrading if you have original carts. i personally see no diffrence with the graphics so its not an upgrade but its not a downgrade either, plus as you said it has the analogue support and some games (such as mario 64) actually feel easier and more fun to play.

vodoochild81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
No, it's a rumor that games look a bit better than with the pre-installed firmware. And still, DS games look terrible on a 3DS. Better play DS games with a DS lite or DSi.

Why would it matter if I have the original games. I would get a AceCard or Dstwo..They all work no?

dragonkid6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:

DS games have been confirmed to look better, anyone who played the original GBA emu knows about the 2 dozen filter settings. It's same concept here, Ninty changed the filter settings for DS games. There's still a slight color loss(faded out colors) but the games aren't so blurry.

On topic: The 3DS screen does not stretch the DS game to fit so there's a black border for DS games and the screen size is approx. the size of a DSLite.

dragonkid6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vodoochild81 said:
WiiBricker said:

Why would it matter if I have the original games. I would get a AceCard or Dstwo..They all work no?

DS games will look the same whether you use the cartridge or a flashcart, what you said...i can't make sense of it.

vodoochild81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thinking about it more, aside from mario 64, what other games would benefit from the analogue stick? Sounds to me the best DS experience is DSi...Doesn't it have a prettier, bigger screen then the DS lite?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
dragonkid6 said:
WiiBricker said:

DS games have been confirmed to look better, anyone who played the original GBA emu knows about the 2 dozen filter settings.

No, it has not been confirmed. In fact, I asked Nintendo via email if DS games look better with the new firmware and they said they didn't do anything related to polishing the looks of DS games, at least, thats what an employee said. And I can confirm that none of my DS games look better.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
MG4M3R said:
DSiXL>3DS>DSi>DSLite>DS

For this reason I kept my DSiXL.
Are you saying a big DSi is better than a 3DS?
unsure.gif

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
vodoochild81 said:
Thinking about it more, aside from mario 64, what other games would benefit from the analogue stick? Sounds to me the best DS experience is DSi...Doesn't it have a prettier, bigger screen then the DS lite?

I never owned a DSi or XL and yeah the screens are bigger (dunno bout prettier) but if graphics are what your after then your overlooking the obvious fact that the 3DS games graphics are tons better than anything you will see on the DS. If you get a DSi or an XL then yeah you have a slightly bigger screen but it wont be long before they stop making games for it, Whereas the 3DS will be able to play every DS game thats ever come out plus you can play the 3DS games that come out too!

I just compared the 2 games now coz of this topic and i still dont think theres much diffrence between DSlites and 3DS tho, If anything id say the 3DS makes the games look Brighter and slightly clearer

dragonkid6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
dragonkid6 said:
WiiBricker said:

DS games have been confirmed to look better, anyone who played the original GBA emu knows about the 2 dozen filter settings.

No, it has not been confirmed. In fact, I asked Nintendo via email if DS games look better with the new firmware and they said they didn't do anything related to polishing the looks of DS games, at least, thats what an employee said. And I can confirm that none of my DS games look better.

You should stay on the up and up before posting about that stuff that was covered here on GBAtempt

http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=160494
http://www.nintendolife.com/forums/3ds/ds_...esolution_fixed
http://gbatemp.net/t296856-ds-games-on-3ds...er-after-update

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vodoochild81 said:
There are plenty of games that benefit from having the analog stick. Pretty much ANY 3D game or isometric style game that requires you to move in 8 directions feel far better with the analog stick-

- Kingdom Hearts (either DS one)
- Soma Bringer
- Mario & Luigi
- Final Fantasy (any of them on DS)

Pretty much any RPG as well. Even Mario Kart or other simply controlled 3D games. To me, it comes down to a couple of factors. One being that you're not having your thumb gradually develop nearly as many blisters or have them cut into gradually by the sharper edges of the dpad (after some amount of use). Also, diagonals in any game are now far easier to pull off than the sometimes unresponsive dpads. I find that pretty much any DS game that doesn't require precise and quick double taps of the dpad (such as to run) work better and feel more comfortable with the analog stick. I sold my DS Lite and definitely don't regret it. The picture quality is mildly worse, nothing i even noticed without having it actually pointed out to me.

vodoochild81

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terenigma said:
vodoochild81 said:

I never owned a DSi or XL and yeah the screens are bigger (dunno bout prettier) but if graphics are what your after then your overlooking the obvious fact that the 3DS games graphics are tons better than anything you will see on the DS. If you get a DSi or an XL then yeah you have a slightly bigger screen but it wont be long before they stop making games for it, Whereas the 3DS will be able to play every DS game thats ever come out plus you can play the 3DS games that come out too!

I just compared the 2 games now coz of this topic and i still dont think theres much diffrence between DSlites and 3DS tho, If anything id say the 3DS makes the games look Brighter and slightly clearer

Totally... of course..but idk if i can justify in my mind the 250 for the 3ds to play SF4 and Ocarina of time... I was thinking perhaps just waiting till the new mario/mario kart comes out. That will be like a year maybe 2 from now..By then I ams sure there will be a 3ds card too, and it will be at least 50 dollars cheaper.... I mean what other games are going to come out till then? I am not really into luigi's mansion or starfox.

But, if I will get a better DS experience and I get a DSTWO flash card then I can justify that, otherwise maybe just chill with my DS because I have SOO many AMAZING ds games i haven't beat yet. The catalogue is so big. Radiata Historia, Both Zelda's, The Professor Layton's, Black and White, Soma Bringer, ugh I mean the list just goes on and on...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)