Hardware DS games on 3DS XL screen questions

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
i had a DS Lite, and 1 week ago i bought the 3ds xl for the new pokemon versions...

i had been researching about the screens on both systems and there is one thing i don't understand

the 3DS resolution is bigger from a DSL or even a DSI XL

the 3DS XL got the same resolution of a 3DS, just different pixel sizes like on the DSI\DSI XL

when i use a ds game in 1:1 resolution on my 3ds XL, why does the image is the same size of my DS Lite?

shouldn't the image be a bit bigger compared to my DS Lite because the bigger pixels?

KongsNutz

[Team Oceanic]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I did read the thread but thought you wanted DS software in original resolution, if you are asking how to stretch the top screen to full length, you can't man.

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Sorry, I did read the thread but thought you wanted DS software in original resolution, if you are asking how to stretch the top screen to full length, you can't man.

no, when i said 1:1 i meant original resolution..i perfectly understand i can't stretch the top screen, and it was awful it it did anyway.

i did created this post because i wanted to know how technically the things work, how can a bigger screen got the same resolution if it does have more pixels like "The Real Jdbye" said...

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
migles : you may be confused because you didn't see 1:1 mode on the smaller 3DS model. On this one the picture showed is actually smaller than the DS phat/DS lite screens, but is even less blurry than the DS phat/lite screens.

What happens:
The 3DS XL have screens with the same resolution than the 3DS, but the dpi (dots per inch) on XL is smaller than the original 3DS, the dots on the screen (or pixels as you're calling it) have almost the same size on both models, but their density is different, they have more unused space between them.

So the 3DS XL getting a picture with the approximate - if not same - size of the DS screen on DS 1:1 mode is maybe something that Nintendo did on purpose when designing the console.

The original 3DS lower screen have the same physical size as the DS ones with higer resolution and higher dpi count. The upper screen dimensions is like the DS one with extra space on the sides to make the different screen ratio. And that's why when the DS mode works on 1:1 resolution on original 3DS the image is smaller, and when on "stretch to fit" option it's somewhat blurry even on the original 3DS.

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
thank you tomy, thats the answer i wanted, i didn't know you could have more or less space between the pixeis, i thought they was actually bigger, but i forgot one thing, if they were bigger, i could practically see the subpixels..

anyway the stretched picture on the 3ds xl is awful on pokemon :C i only have pokemon games and i am keeping using my ds lite for them..

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
migles you are welcome. If you get to see a original 3DS model you can compare the screens easily (mainly on the lower screens). On 3DS XL you can see that the black lines around the dots/pixels are thicker than the ones present on the original model.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
but the 3ds and 3dsxl got the same resolution, how can the 3ds xl have more pixels?
DS versus 3DS XL, not 3DS versus 3DS XL.
You'll see what I mean if you try playing DS games at the original resolution on a 3DS XL. It's about the same size as on the DS(i?).
Edit: I guess I got ninja'd :P

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
just for clarify, does this have anything related with "scan lines" ?

Yes, although I think that the scanline concept is actually applied to the rows of pixels that make the image instead of the free space between them, however the "scanline effect" is what happens when there is visible spaces with no image at all between the scanlines.

migles

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Yes, although I think that the scanline concept is actually applied to the rows of pixels that make the image instead of the free space between them, however the "scanline effect" is what happens when there is visible spaces with no image at all between the scanlines.

i remember the scan lines rows being darker on old crt's and cheap lcds.. if you noticed closely, it was like there is a horizontal line, and just after that row is another row of the same size but a little darker and it got the same pater as the first row, but this doesn't happen on the 3dsxl

i hope you understand what i am saying, i think i am sounding a bit confusing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay