DS Game Maker

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Inunah, Jul 14, 2010.

Jul 14, 2010

DS Game Maker by Inunah at 7:56 AM (1,872 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. Inunah
    OP

Banned Inunah The Female Mistaken for a Male.

United States
    Attempting to make a game, and the start screen I've got up needs a blinking 'touch to start' icon.... Er... Sprite...

So I go to add in something I made... It says it's too big.... But 64x64 is the biggest image it lets me use... Which is only 1/3 of the sprite I need to use... I don't know how to do this.... Blahhhhhhh.....

2. Noitora

Member Noitora ::

Greece
    Just use 3 64x64 sprites.

3. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    Or just figure out how to use paLib or LUA (like TouhouDS from http://weeaboo.nl/) and make the future better xD (though its totally fine if you stick with DSGM).

4. Inunah
    OP

United States
    That requires C++ or whatever, from what I heard. I'm not learning another coding language. It took me two years to learn shitty HTML skills (I know only enough to edit text and images into a premade layout... Yeah, classy.... >:( ), why would I want to waste two+ more years of my life?

5. jurassicplayer

Member jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    You shouldn't say that (Eldude will come after you xD). Although I agree that it probably isn't the most powerful thing out there, it IS supposed to make things more understandable (failed in my case though)...but, if there is some previous knowledge and you know what you are doing, then there have been a couple of decent homebrew (I wouldn't say AMAZING, but definitely some things that could be amusing to some people).

PaLib actually isn't that bad if you can piece together the tutorials and other peoples source files. Then again, I've never really attempted making anything past Hello World and that StarWars scrolling text (I had fun with this one xD I inserted my own words) so I suppose I shouldn't really say much about either.

6. Inunah
    OP

United States
    This thing is supposedly really simple, but I find it 100 times more confusing than the Alice software used to make little flash videos.

I've used RPG Maker XP, so I have some previous knowledge of game making, but this.... This acts like it requires you to have made a DS Homebrew before and know exactly how to do things and it forces you to do things in a certain way.

Hell, I could make myself a whole Vocaloid song and finish an Alice animation before I got halfway through with any sort of game in DS Game Maker.

7. Swifty1992

Newcomer Swifty1992 Member

Australia
    Or learn libNDS...

8. harg

Member harg GBAtemp Regular

United States
    DSGM is an easy to use software(my use might be different due to my previous coding knowledge) DSGM uses PAlib so if you don't get DSGM you could easily check out the PAlib forums and get some info.

9. jeremy506

Member jeremy506 Some dude.

Nauru
    Me and BassAceGold politely agreed that coding in C is much easier and sufficient than any front ends or mimics. I've noticed, that DS Game Maker is a fraud. Proof?

Game Maker forums;

PAlib-Dev forum;

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Notice the difference?
    The DS Game Maker forum explains nothing! The users their are incredibly dumbfounded, no offence.

Also, more evidence James is quite hated:

From BassAceGold, years ago;
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

10. jeremy506

Member jeremy506 Some dude.

Nauru
    *Bump. Ugh, I double posted.