• Total voters

kenshin-dragon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
kenshin-dragon said:
if i am wrong show me a creditable article that actually shows that they are illegalCase (PDF).
QUOTE said:
Plaintiff Nintendo of America Inc. ("NOA") moved for a preliminary
injunction pursuant to Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 65 and 17 U.S.C. §§ 1203
and 502, to enjoin Defendants from importing, marketing, or trafficking in products
or devices that are primarily designed, and have only limited commercially
significant purpose other than, to circumvent the technological security measures i
Nintendo's DS video game systems (which include the Nintendo DS, Nintendo DS
Lite, and Nintendo DSi) (collectively, the "Nintendo DS"). The accused devices
are also marketed for use in circumventing the technological security measures of
the Nintendo DS, and include products that are marketed and sold under the brand
names AceKard, AceKard 2 for DSi, DSTT, DSTTi, DS Xtreme, Edge DS, EZ
Flash, EZ Flash Vi, iTouch DS, M3 DS Real, N5 Revolution, ND1 Revolution, R4
DS Revolution, R4DS SDHC, R4i SDHC, and SuperCard DS One. The accused
devices are collectively referred to herein as "Game Copiers."

[...]

The Nintendo DS security system is a technological measure that
effectively controls access to a copyrighted work under sections 1201(a) and
1201(b) of the DMCA, 17 U.S.C. 1201 et seq. The Nintendo DS security system is
a process that includes repeated transfers of information to gain access to the IPL
and Boot Code programs, and to gain access to any copyrighted Nintendo DS Gam
for play on the Nintendo DS. The technological measures in the Nintendo DS
control access to NOA's copyrighted works.

And the DMCA (PDF)...
QUOTE said:
Section 103 of the DMCA adds a new chapter 12 to Title 17 of the U.S. Code.
New section 1201 implements the obligation to provide adequate and effective
protection against circumvention of technological measures used by copyright owners
to protect their works.
Checking out Title 17 of US Code, we can see Chapter 12, which outlines what is and is not illegal under the new act. You'll notice that bypassing what's generally known as DRM or content-protection systems is illegal, except for certain categories laid out by the Librarian Of Congress every few years. The most recent one was last July, and while it mentions things such as CSS for DVDs and jailbreaking phones, flash carts are not listed as an exception.
i see there is no point arguing over this matter because were from two totally different countries, with two totally different set of copyright laws, it might be legal in my country but not in yours. any way in my country owning a flash cart for Hombrew in legal, but it's not if you have commercial games on it.

Maybe he should take legal action against you for selling a pirating device on your website. You can't even claim its not used for piracy as it was primarily designed for such.
hmmm... what about ShopTemp? should we take legal action against them for selling flash carts as well? i would like to see how that would turn out.

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
Rydian said:
Kenshin, Normmatt is the programmer of AKAIO.

Whole the homebrew menu is a step towards making flash carts legal, by itself it doesn't. They still have to bypass protection in order to boot, and in the US according to the DMCA bypassing copyright protection (outside of specific exemptions) is illegal (which is partially what allows companies to sue whenever they get around to it or have a reason to).

Pwned!

Highjacking this thread was a bad move. Feels like what Sony would do.

We had a blast dicussing this thread on the DSdev forums too. Wintermute was the first one who pointed that he sold cards which are illegal in his country.

Fincs(the last PAlib developer) was contemplating not giving the James guy, access to PAlib a while back by some sort of a copyright that only "free stuff" can be made with it .

Coen and RoyalCardMan: You might want to check out Nightfox lib (Pretty much an updated PAlib). You can use that as long as your version of DSGM is free.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
kenshin-dragon said:
Rydian said:
kenshin-dragon said:
if i am wrong show me a creditable article that actually shows that they are illegalCase (PDF).
QUOTE said:
and 502, to enjoin Defendants from importing, marketing, or trafficking in products
significant purpose other than, to circumvent the technological security measures i
are also marketed for use in circumventing the technological security measures of
the Nintendo DS, and include products that are marketed and sold under the brand

[...]

a process that includes repeated transfers of information to gain access to the IPL

And the DMCA (PDF)...
QUOTE said:
protection against circumvention of technological measures used by copyright owners
to protect their works.
Checking out Title 17 of US Code, we can see Chapter 12, which outlines what is and is not illegal under the new act. You'll notice that bypassing what's generally known as DRM or content-protection systems is illegal, except for certain categories laid out by the Librarian Of Congress every few years. The most recent one was last July, and while it mentions things such as CSS for DVDs and jailbreaking phones, flash carts are not listed as an exception.
i see there is no point arguing over this matter because were from two totally different countries, with two totally different set of copyright laws, it might be legal in my country but not in yours. any way in my country owning a flash cart for Hombrew in legal, but it's not if you have commercial games on it.

Maybe he should take legal action against you for selling a pirating device on your website. You can't even claim its not used for piracy as it was primarily designed for such.
hmmm... what about ShopTemp? should we take legal action against them for selling flash carts as well? i would like to see how that would turn out.

ShopTemp was shutdown because they got a cease and desist letter if i remember correctly.

Evo.lve

All that you could be.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Normmatt said:
kenshin-dragon said:
Rydian said:
kenshin-dragon said:
QUOTE said:

[...]

And the DMCA (PDF)...
QUOTE said:
to protect their works.

ShopTemp was shutdown because they got a cease and desist letter if i remember correctly.

Frozen PayPal account, actually. Point still stands.

coen22

OP
Trophies
Website
www.dsigamemaker.tk
XP
Country
Netherlands
RoyalCardMan said:
sightlight said:
RoyalCardMan said:
DSGameMaker said:
QUOTE said:
tajio is right about you're avatar
How childish
laugh.gif
A true expression of your ability to deal with criticism when you are in the wrong.

It looks like legal action is the only way forward.

I had to do the same for Awsomisoft's product too. DSGM is very similar to Game Maker, but it does not use one line of source code from it. The same cannot be said for your work.

QUOTE said:
Maybe you're blind
You've modified your application since I downloaded it last night. 'Make Object' action is blank, there is no action called 'Goto ...'. I found an action you made actually. It contains:

NE_Init3D()

Which doesn't even work. You need a semi-colon >.<

And you have stolen my gui interface.
How Ironic.... link to Game Maker above will help you out there. You know completely about it, because of 'Parent' objects in your screenshot.

I recommend once again people to use the real deal from http://dsgamemaker.com
Coen and I are working together on this project, so keep insulting him on this DS Game Maker+. You cannot copyright the name "DS Game Maker" because there isn't much of a specific name for the program. As "DS App Studio" is a specific name, but "Studio" is not copyright, therefore, it can be used by another person.

Coen is working on the GUI of the project and I am working on the engine part. He has just made a layout of the program.
So please, do not flame coen, James, and make sure you keep with your side of the bargain, if you know what I am talking about.

How's the development going?
Releasing soon?
It is still being worked on.
There will soon be a release.

Did you made a little 3D already?

If you have made 3D I can add 3D Models to my resource library

That would be awesome!
hrth.gif

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
coen22 said:
RoyalCardMan said:
sightlight said:
RoyalCardMan said:
DSGameMaker said:
QUOTE said:
tajio is right about you're avatar
How childish
laugh.gif
A true expression of your ability to deal with criticism when you are in the wrong.

It looks like legal action is the only way forward.

I had to do the same for Awsomisoft's product too. DSGM is very similar to Game Maker, but it does not use one line of source code from it. The same cannot be said for your work.

QUOTE said:
Maybe you're blind
You've modified your application since I downloaded it last night. 'Make Object' action is blank, there is no action called 'Goto ...'. I found an action you made actually. It contains:

NE_Init3D()

Which doesn't even work. You need a semi-colon >.<

QUOTE said:
And you have stolen my gui interface.
How Ironic.... link to Game Maker above will help you out there. You know completely about it, because of 'Parent' objects in your screenshot.

I recommend once again people to use the real deal from http://dsgamemaker.com
Coen and I are working together on this project, so keep insulting him on this DS Game Maker+. You cannot copyright the name "DS Game Maker" because there isn't much of a specific name for the program. As "DS App Studio" is a specific name, but "Studio" is not copyright, therefore, it can be used by another person.

Coen is working on the GUI of the project and I am working on the engine part. He has just made a layout of the program.
So please, do not flame coen, James, and make sure you keep with your side of the bargain, if you know what I am talking about.

How's the development going?
Releasing soon?
It is still being worked on.
There will soon be a release.

Did you made a little 3D already?

If you have made 3D I can add 3D Models to my resource library

That would be awesome!
hrth.gif
Yes, I have added 3D to DSAL. I am still working on 3D model loading, but yes you can draw 3D shapes in DSAL.
I am trying to make it more efficient with loops for the drawing because it sometimes is laggy(sometimes, there are to many loops drawing the shapes), but right now it works fine.

DSAL is soon going to have WIFI connection functions, such as the wificonnect(); function, which I am still thinking about having "ports", so people can have more than one WIFI connection. Here is an example of what it would look like:

CODE
wificonnect("19283");
String("message", "Hello there!");
sendmessage("19283","message");
endconnect("19283");

The endconnect() function would make sure people couldn't get into the connection when the host player has quit.

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shadow. You should move this discussions into the forum, so it can gain life, or it will stay the way it is now forever and i don't want that!

realWinterMute

Trophies
XP
Country
I find it quite bizarre that there's an argument going on here over who stole what from who and whose Visual Basic interface to a shedload of tools and libraries constructed by other people is the bigger ripoff.

Some years ago I attempted to convince James that requiring the users of his tool to have devkitARM and it's associated libraries was something that was going to cause major issues. I can't help feeling that providing a point and click interface to a complex set of tools is completely disregarding the target audience, not to mention storing up problems for later when said audience advance to the point where they might be comfortable using the tools directly. Unfortunately it all fell on deaf ears and now we have a competitor making the same mistakes all over again.

Recently I was pointed to a project that I think will actually be quite exciting for people who want to make games without learning to program and sounds like it may have taken what I think is the best approach for creating DS games (or any games console for that matter). VGM2D creates "rom" files which are run on the target using a player which doesn't require the end user to manage complex and frequently updated development tools.

As for the argument about "legal" flashcards for homebrew, sadly the current state of affairs is that any circumvention of technical protection measures on a game console is illegal in most countries, regardless of the use.

Reactions: zoogie

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
realWinterMute said:
I find it quite bizarre that there's an argument going on here over who stole what from who and whose Visual Basic interface to a shedload of tools and libraries constructed by other people is the bigger ripoff.

Some years ago I attempted to convince James that requiring the users of his tool to have devkitARM and it's associated libraries was something that was going to cause major issues. I can't help feeling that providing a point and click interface to a complex set of tools is completely disregarding the target audience, not to mention storing up problems for later when said audience advance to the point where they might be comfortable using the tools directly. Unfortunately it all fell on deaf ears and now we have a competitor making the same mistakes all over again.

Recently I was pointed to a project that I think will actually be quite exciting for people who want to make games without learning to program and sounds like it may have taken what I think is the best approach for creating DS games (or any games console for that matter). VGM2D creates "rom" files which are run on the target using a player which doesn't require the end user to manage complex and frequently updated development tools.

As for the argument about "legal" flashcards for homebrew, sadly the current state of affairs is that any circumvention of technical protection measures on a game console is illegal in most countries, regardless of the use.
Why create a ROM when you can create an NDS?
We are not really arguing, but are just discussing legal issues. It is the way to figure out what happens.

YoshiInAVoid

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
Why host it on a website called InvisionFree? Is that just becuase he hosted his on InvisionSoft?

I like DSGM to much to make a libary to rip it off so I will not make that libary for you sorry.

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
YoshiInAVoid said:
Why host it on a website called InvisionFree? Is that just becuase he hosted his on InvisionSoft?

I like DSGM to much to make a libary to rip it off so I will not make that libary for you sorry.
Okay, that us fine with us.

InvisionFree is a good forum host, so I do not see why people should complain.

wangdata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you so much for this alternative Coen22.

I will be letting more people know about this.

You know your on to a good thing when the competition tries to tread on you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1