DS charger issues. Anyone got any ideas?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by DeadlyFoez, Feb 5, 2011.

Feb 5, 2011
  1. DeadlyFoez
    OP

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    I have 2 DSL's for my kids. One of the chargers stopped working. This charger does not work on either DS, but my other charger works on both DS's so I know it is the charger.

First thing I did was check for continuity on the cord to make sure my kids didn't yank it and break it and it tested fine. I checked out the components on the inside of the charger and there is nothing burned or broken. I did not see any SMD fuses or anything on the like on either side of the PCB.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. tomrev

Member tomrev GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Do you test voltage on pins of jack output (need volt-meter)? It should be about 5v. If voltage output has problem, may has a broken wire(s). It always broke at near joint of both jacks. Cut broken section out and solder will fix it.

3. DeadlyFoez
    OP

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Well, just bc you told me to, I did try it and no voltage coming out from the connector. But as I said, I did a continuity test on the cable. I did it from the PCB end to the connector end on both conductors. So this has to be board level. My next test I guess should be checking out the power transformer. So I guess that means I got get get datasheets if it is possible to find them.

I know I could buy a used charger for like $15. But I am one to fix something instead because I enjoy doing so.

4. DeadlyFoez
    OP

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    UPDATE: I fixed it. There was another fuse in the charger and it was blown. I bridged the end of it together and it worked. I should replace the fuse sooner than later in case there is some other issue, I certainly dont want it to kill my kids DS.
    [​IMG]

5. rave420

Member rave420 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    you short circuited a blown fuse inside a charger?

Are you nuts or something?

The fuse is there for a reason. It blew, now what does that tell you? That something is putting out a higher voltage then normal, or a higher current, either way, the fuse blew. By doing so, it protected the internal circuitry from damage, possibly also the battery from being charged with too much current.

Best case, nothing will happen, life goes on.
    Worst case, your battery now charges with 20A instead of 0.9A, and one day leaks / explodes and ruins your DS, furniture, possibly cause a fire, or spray chemcial fumes over your beloved kids.

how can you know what's going to happen by shorting out that fuse? Unless you are 100% sure on why it blew, and that you resolved the problem, short circuiting it is not an option.

jesus, i gotta calm down, but reading this really made me question your sense of responsibility, especially when your KIDS ARE PLAYING AROUDN WITH IT.

ESPECIALLY because this plugs into mains directly. it's not like it's hanging on a 12v power cord, it plugs into 110v mains DIRECTLY. you are just sooooo lucky nobody is dead yet...

6. The20BIT

Newcomer The20BIT Advanced Member

Canada
    For some terrible twisted reason I started lauging really hard at the post above...

7. neotank19

Member neotank19 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    while rave makes alot of sense; I too laughed really hard at his post.

8. tomrev

Member tomrev GBAtemp Fan

United States
    He is really serious. Why [​IMG] him? [​IMG]

But rave said is right. Safety first!