but I love 2D side scroller beatem ups
smile.gif

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have absolutley many doubts about this game, though i havent tried it yet. I need to test it, but I'm not getting my hopes up, looking at the preview video. Fingers crossed it wont actually smudge the name of the real Thor.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's got some very detailed sprite work and looks very nice. Yes, the game is a repetitive button masher, but really no more so than old-school beat'em-ups of the 8 and 16bit days. And if you intentionally try to use the various special moves as you play, it adds to the fun. It has a very old-school feel to it, which obviously I like. Control is pretty tight too. There are very few times where you have to fight the controls, though I would have preferred Thor's god powers to be activated by a button, rather than the touchscreen, but that's a minor quibble. I like how when you jump up in the air and you start attacking, he'll pretty much stay in mid-air as you lump on the enemies. I kinda wish there was more to the platforming....like maybe a few obstacles or puzzles as you move through the levels. It really would have broken up a lot of that "same-same-same" that the levels seem to have. I'm really glad they used Y for the main attack, the poor A button gets abused far too often in DS games. The A button is completely worn on my original DSlite (still can't find my tri-wing screwdrivers since we moved) and I've been using a backup DSlite. Luckily, the A button is only used for getting enemies off your back and knocking down pillars.

A few reviews talked about slowdown......I never really noticed any though. Everything moved fast and smooth as far as I could see, even with a lot of enemies on the screen at once. Working fine on CycloDS B.7.

It's a pretty short game though. I've only played it for about 2.5 hours last night and I'm already up to the beginning of chapter 5. I'll likely have it beat in less than 4 hours. I believe there are only 7 chapters with 3 stages per chapter, but I'm not 100% sure on that. Maybe some might find some replay value in getting all the runes and other unlockable content, though that's not something I tend to worry about myself.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure I like the gameplay quite as much as Brave and the Bold, but it's still pretty fun so far. It's hard not to love WayForward's sprite work and animation. It just looks great. Game plays well; it has some cool, little ditties, but it's nothing revolutionary. Solid so far.

Though you can view the character dialogue stills in the extras, I haven't found a gallery for the sprites, which was one of the cool additions I really enjoyed in Batman.

Definitely worth playing, though.

Gloggingin

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Depravo said:
I am r4ymond said:
I haven't seen the movie of this game yet, but I think I'll like it. Anything somewhat related to Greek myths and deities - I'M IN.
Then you'll probably be disappointed to learn Thor is Norse.
Hahahaha!

The game looks great... not like other games based of movies...

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I LOVED Brave and the Bold. I'll definitely try this out sometime. I wanted to pick it up yesterday, but Wal Mart isn't carrying it yet over here :/. I'll try Gamestop tomorrow.

pozda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
i like oldschool gaming, i like 2d sidescrollers, i like beat'em up games! i like to beat ugly contra-like aliens (like that one on 0:35-0:40 in the video), well, i think i'm gonna like this game!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto