DS #5028: Yard Sale Hidden Treasures: Sunnyville (USA)

kingsanto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that's some big talk for a group with a Yard Sale game as their first release.
wink.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
kingsanto said:
Wow, that's some big talk for a group with a Yard Sale game as their first release.
wink.gif
Says the person who knows not of the scene.

As the NFO reads, modern people that use "the scene" are just in it for free games and don't care as long as they get the "cool" games and they boot on existing devices and emulators. That's a new and incorrect mindset, it's not actually what the scene is about. The scene doesn't care if a game is unpopular or looks childish, they care about dumping things the proper way to preserve and archive.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
the info was interesting in the sense that it had strange info... but kinda weird to take something like games and dumping so seriously
seems to be an R4/wood/YWG fan and why dump more than what we have... accuracy is not necessary
if a person get 85 and another gets 100 but both get distinction with no extra benefits, why want 100? aim for it yes, but dont make it such a big issue
but i definitely applaud their effort and wantingness to do something "different" for the scene... i guess thts the only thing left for the DS now that all games are going to be transferred for the 3ds
rydian... thats a professional way of looking at dumping games but is tht the goal of dumping for the majority of the ppl? i think people like dumpers because they give them free games...
still to have a serious goal is better than playing without appreciation of the true ART of dumping

i feel like i have more to say but bleh... this thread title is not gonna get many visitors who would be interested
smile.gif

now i think the game is about finding stuff on the screen hidden btn pictures... nothing beats detail and work of waldo... impossible

Seicomart

Trophies
XP
Country
Hate to break it to you, but your understanding of "the scene" as you call it is misguided, over simplistic and myopic, nice try at pathetic elitism though.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
My cousin Tanya came to visit a few months ago. She downloaded over a dozen of these games to my laptop and didn't bother scanning any of them. They refused to be deleted. Had to reset the laptop back to factory settings to shift the bastards in the end. What the appeal of these games is still eludes me. Surely it's just a glorified Where's Wally? book.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I won't lie, I'm one of those, "If it works, it's good enough, GIMME!" type of people, but I can respect the strive towards what you would call a perfectly clean dump of a game. It only helps to make the dumps more future-proof on the newer systems that will have better piracy protection.

It will take this perfection in the dump process to be able to even have a chance to play those DSi and DSi-enhanced games in actual DSi mode someday, instead of just reverting all the way back to standard DS mode....or just not running at all. Think of it as another step in the evolution of ROM dumps, which is changing all the time. Newer revisions of dump programs do come out occasionally, plus there are some groups who keep their techniques to themselves, regardless of whatever method is used, they are always trying to perfect the dump a little more with each update.

With team ACCUCiSiON's announcement, it seems they are now saying that.....well.....even all the ROMs that say "Proper" now are not necessarily as proper as previously thought. So....where do you draw the line here? That's where the confusion starts. Is everyone supposed to just chuck all their ROMs they have now and wait for "proper" dumps? I don't really think there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening. Are all release groups supposed to just stop dumping games now because their tools aren't as up-to-date as ACCUCiSiON's? Yeah, right. You think the pirates all want to WAIT for releases because they are not "proper"? ARR will turn to ARG real quick. So how do we handle this? I figure we give the dumps classifications.

Remember when you would download old system's ROMs and they would have codes on them like this:

[a] Alternate
Bad Dump
[t] Trained
[f] Fixed
[T] Translation
Hack
[x] Bad Checksum
[o] Overdump
[!] Verified Good Dump
...etc.

Why can't DS/DSi dumps have this kind of coding put on them on them now? That way, we could all have our cake and eat it too. And you'd know where you stand on dump integrity and dumps won't have to be nuked so quickly or held back for "proper" releases. It would also help to alleviate much of the disagreements in the scene about ROM dumps in general. For example, if dump #1234 had multiple dumps, all with varying attributes in header bytes or whatever, just add the appropriate classification to the ROM to denote those imperfections. We could have half-a-dozen #1234 dumps, and a way to sort them according to integrity, just like older system's game dumps did.

Of course now, everything is all screwed up, what with different sites all having different numbering schemes and some lumping DSi and regular DS ROMs together and others don't. Having 5000+ ROM (not to mention XXXX releases and various redumps) will make it a monumental task to classify everything. But instead of arguing and everyone doing their own thing, why can't a system be put in place to just accept all dumps and simply classify them according to integrity. What's one more stir-up in the scene if it would ultimately help to organize it into something a little more logical than it currently is?

I welcome ACCUCiSiON as an new addition to the release groups we have and I salute their efforts to strive for the "perfect dump". Let's just hope their as prolific with the ROM dumps as their (and my) messages are long.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
So...what you want is in essence a Piracy version of the Nintendo Seal of Quality.
unsure.gif

There's pirating and there's just plain taking the piss, you know?

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
So...what you want is in essence a Piracy version of the Nintendo Seal of Quality.
unsure.gif

You don't get it. Haven't you ever DL'd NES, SNES, Genesis or most any other legacy game ROMs before? You pick one game and DL it and when you unzip it, there are multiple files in the zip.....the same damn ROM over and over with slight variations, and a different "bracket code" ("[!]", for example) to denote the integrity of each. I'm not suggesting that you download one # game and get all the dumps of that game in one zip like legacy systems did, that would be some huge DL's! No, just when something gets dumped, give it a "bracket code" classification based on the dumping tool used and the integrity of the dump. If it is a dupe of a previous dump, but varies in it's integrity from what was already out there, then it just gets classed with a "bracket code" and added to the previous dump's # listing. Dumps that are already out could just have no "bracket code" and that would denote them low quality dumps automatically, unless the "bracket code" has been determined for that dump.

This would add a strain to places that actually have ROMs to add all the extra files with different class ratings (or at least attempt to make them have the most "perfect" dump of a given game). It would also be rough for sites like GBAtemp who just lists releases to add all the info on different class dumps, but see, that's piracy ain't it? It's not supposed to be easy. Besides, most people will only continue to DL the same game over and over until they get one that works for them right? Might as well at least be able to determine if you are DL'ing a truly different dump, or just the same one over and over again. Those "bracket codes" sure were useful back in the day, why can't they still be useful, especially with the upcoming 3DS and its even stronger piracy measures and expected critiquing of ROM integrity by the system?

I'm not saying it must happen or anything, just that it seems logical to put something like this in place for clarification, amidst all the arguments and confusion, it could be a good compromise to make our little community more of a "happy place" again instead of all the bickering over "release rules" all the time. I may be no programmer, but I know there are people out there who can examine ROMs and make these sort of determinations for "bracket codes" on the dumps.

It would certainly add a familiar (and almost nostalgic), but useful dynamic to DS/DSi ROM dumps. Especially since there is now an ever-clearer picture of what "ROM integrity" even is as far as DS games are concerned.

piglywigly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
Blaze163 said:
unsure.gif

You don't get it. Haven't you ever DL'd NES, SNES, Genesis or most any other legacy game ROMs before? You pick one game and DL it and when you unzip it, there are multiple files in the zip.....the same damn ROM over and over with slight variations, and a different "bracket code" ("[!]", for example) to denote the integrity of each. I'm not suggesting that you download one # game and get all the dumps of that game in one zip like legacy systems did, that would be some huge DL's! No, just when something gets dumped, give it a "bracket code" classification based on the dumping tool used and the integrity of the dump. If it is a dupe of a previous dump, but varies in it's integrity from what was already out there, then it just gets classed with a "bracket code" and added to the previous dump's # listing. Dumps that are already out could just have no "bracket code" and that would denote them low quality dumps automatically, unless the "bracket code" has been determined for that dump.

This would add a strain to places that actually have ROMs to add all the extra files with different class ratings (or at least attempt to make them have the most "perfect" dump of a given game). It would also be rough for sites like GBAtemp who just lists releases to add all the info on different class dumps, but see, that's piracy ain't it? It's not supposed to be easy. Besides, most people will only continue to DL the same game over and over until they get one that works for them right? Might as well at least be able to determine if you are DL'ing a truly different dump, or just the same one over and over again. Those "bracket codes" sure were useful back in the day, why can't they still be useful, especially with the upcoming 3DS and its even stronger piracy measures and expected critiquing of ROM integrity by the system?

I'm not saying it must happen or anything, just that it seems logical to put something like this in place for clarification, amidst all the arguments and confusion, it could be a good compromise to make our little community more of a "happy place" again instead of all the bickering over "release rules" all the time. I may be no programmer, but I know there are people out there who can examine ROMs and make these sort of determinations for "bracket codes" on the dumps.

It would certainly add a familiar (and almost nostalgic), but useful dynamic to DS/DSi ROM dumps. Especially since there is now an ever-clearer picture of what "ROM integrity" even is as far as DS games are concerned.

Please do not get offended when I say this but all of your paragraphs rantings are only showing how ignorant you are. SNES / Genesis and others were NEVER released with any of those things you mentioned. Those things such as [!] and codes such as , [T], etc were actually used by an auditor system called Goodset written and developed by Cowering.

The SNES scene was released in *.lzh files such as:

INC-ROC2.LZH with file_id.diz and other things.

crook

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Rayder said:
Is everyone supposed to just chuck all their ROMs they have now and wait for "proper" dumps? I don't really think there's a snowball's chance in hell of that happening.

Just wait till N do excactly what the nfo is saying and blocking all the old roms.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
If people didn't use numbering (why is this still done anyway) then there would be none of the confusion in the first place, especially different sites using different numbers anyway... no other system has people doing this. Not sure why anything thinks its a good idea to organize games by the date of release rather than their actual name, how is that any easier to actually find a game in a set.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/T78NsMwZOA0