DS #4341: Umihara Kawase Jun Second Edition Kanzenban (Japan)

pelrun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Holy crap! I was just telling a friend yesterday about Umihara Kawase Shun and how much I love it (despite being utterly crap at it), and I had NO idea this was even in the pipeline!

Marvellous!

...and I just hit the 'bugs'. Yeah, that's gotta be AP - there's no way the hook should be snapping like that.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
That's awesome anti piracy. I like that
smile.gif

But I don't like that it hasn't come to the west yet... otherwise I would buy it
frown.gif

benbop1992

Trophies
XP
Country
Somehow, thanks to the Dirty pictures once completed, I don't think this game or any of this series are going to have a western release.

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it's anti-piracy. It seems to be tied into dying by falling into the water below.

At least in the SNES version I didn't die and managed to get to Field 08 without any issues until I gave up for the night.

treasure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Donato_Dobango said:
I don't think it's anti-piracy. It seems to be tied into dying by falling into the water below.

At least in the SNES version I didn't die and managed to get to Field 08 without any issues until I gave up for the night.

I second that, i also think it has something to do with the water. It always happened to me after i fell into the water.

But probably its still AP? Just triggered through water?

It would be great if some smart peeps could watch into that. Or someone who owns the original game (anyone from japan here?) could tell is if it happens in the cart version too?!

I would buy it too, but for sure this game will get no western release. But with a bug like that, i wouldn't buy it too.

If its really just triggered by falling into water, the game really knows how to add a new degree of difficulty to the game
wink.gif
wink.gif

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't even care if there are pictures as a "reward". They should just leave them out for the western release...

YES, PLEASE localise it.

One can hope... Although it will most likely never happen.

sheex

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, there IS an anti-piracy lockout in the game. The game will let you play normally for a while, but after you beat the game or after a certain amount of time playing, the fish hook stops working and will even break! If you play the SNES version of the game when the anti-piracy lockout is active, the first cutscene clearly shows the fish hook is unable to latch onto walls and Umihara Kawase falls into a pit. The developers are evil. D:

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
Sheex, that's the thing we're talking about.

I really don't think it's anti-piracy. It really does seem to be a bug that is started by falling off the stage into a bottomless pit/water.

As a bug, it's essentially game breaking.

sheex

Trophies
XP
Country
Donato_Dobango said:
Sheex, that's the thing we're talking about.

I really don't think it's anti-piracy. It really does seem to be a bug that is started by falling off the stage into a bottomless pit/water.

As a bug, it's essentially game breaking.

Uhhh, yes it is. I just loaded up the SNES version of the game that's on the DS version and I could hook on to the wall. Try playing the game for a while, beat it and suddenly the hook stops working and when you fall into the pit, the game crashes hard. It is NOT a bug, it's an anti-piracy countermeasure.

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
It's the most random AP countermeasure I've ever seen, since it seems to be avoidable by not dying.

If it is AP, though, that means we might be able to get a countermeasure against the countermeasure to make this game playable, though, so I'll agree that it's AP.

DJ91990

Grookey Gang!
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
OMG they pulled an Earthbound on us.
Yep, same things here, it is time-triggered. I got stuck on Round two of the PSX version and quit out, I went to the SNES version and watched the cutscene, the hook did not work and she fell into a deathpit and the game crashed, I was like; WTFLULZ?!?

I'm gonna try the cheatcode.

There must be more than one check, SNES Version Feild 3, Hook stops grabbing other objects.

If it modified RAM then the ROM needs to be patched, not the RAM.

Katuo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Found a hex edit:

00051599: 0C => 36
000516F4: 10 => 11

Seems to work, got to Field 10 or so in both SNES and PSX games with no issues.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good find... overlay patch.
wink.gif

Edit: Just checked with DeSmuME dev and it's not sending out reads below 0x8000 after being patched so it's all good.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/shdHKa4iBbE?si=Vnb_FMMV54y2aarW lol Mario give me cancer