DS #3468: 7th Dragon (Japan)

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow... so fast! There's some guy you need to talk to (vague, I know, but I did that this morning haha), and afterwards go back to the first town. You have to talk to the guy who gave you the quest to complete it (he's on the east side of town by the entrance/exit)

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh and just to add to the excitement about Samurai, in this game you have these 'style switches' like the samurai has a 'switch' for a fast style, and a power style (you activate each during battle) and each has it's own special skills as well. I've been waiting for something like that for a while, so it's pretty cool.

I know EO has something similar, but you didn't have to activate the style in battle I don't think.

mrfatso

That guy!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
oO, so that's what that skills does, and wow, all these time, all i thought it does is give me some form of attack bonus
ohmy.gif

knl

I can change this?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
DS1 said:
I know EO has something similar, but you didn't have to activate the style in battle I don't think.

you did in EO1.
anyways yet another game that looks awesome, yet I might not play it because of the whole japanese shtick.
goddamnit xd

layzieyez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ruri said:
deathfisaro said:
Jap is not a proper abbreviation for Japan or Japanese. There are Japanese people in the forum. One of the "forum-trolling dickweeds" is just being considerate.
Being politically correct seems to be a big thing down there, but you have a problem with calling Japanese people politically correctly? What's that, human rights moving backwards?
That's a not entirely accurate. Some Japanese-Americans consider it a slur, but it is widely-used in Singapore and Hong Kong as a contraction of 'japanese' with no other connotations. Many international news services and businesses likewise use it freely, and in Japan itself few people care -- some Japanese businesses even use it in various contexts.

In other words, by attacking people on the internet for using a term that may be perfectly inoffensive in their countries, you are actually taking a fairly culturally insensitive position yourself; you are insisting that the entire world accept U.S. standards and U.S. English meanings instead of their own. This is comparable to insisting that, for instance, the British should not use the word 'fags' to refer to sticks or cigarettes.

Notice that x.domination, above, is from Singapore -- in his country 'Jap' has no negative connotations. Are you saying that his country must defer to U.S. interpretations and U.S. meanings when using words?
Wait, so by this rationale, if any other racial slur like n****, honky, or cracker was a widely used word by other countries and not seen as offensive, then the offended wouldn't have the right to be able to express their indignation in this public forum or should be made to feel stupid for feeling offended?

That is FUCKED UP!

Back on topic. This looks like a very interesting game, I'll definitely give it a try considering the classes and customization.

chewtoy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
perlmonkey.blogspot.com
XP
Country
layzieyez said:
Ruri said:
deathfisaro said:
Jap is not a proper abbreviation for Japan or Japanese. There are Japanese people in the forum. One of the "forum-trolling dickweeds" is just being considerate.
Being politically correct seems to be a big thing down there, but you have a problem with calling Japanese people politically correctly? What's that, human rights moving backwards?
That's a not entirely accurate. Some Japanese-Americans consider it a slur, but it is widely-used in Singapore and Hong Kong as a contraction of 'japanese' with no other connotations. Many international news services and businesses likewise use it freely, and in Japan itself few people care -- some Japanese businesses even use it in various contexts.

In other words, by attacking people on the internet for using a term that may be perfectly inoffensive in their countries, you are actually taking a fairly culturally insensitive position yourself; you are insisting that the entire world accept U.S. standards and U.S. English meanings instead of their own. This is comparable to insisting that, for instance, the British should not use the word 'fags' to refer to sticks or cigarettes.

Notice that x.domination, above, is from Singapore -- in his country 'Jap' has no negative connotations. Are you saying that his country must defer to U.S. interpretations and U.S. meanings when using words?
Wait, so by this rationale, if any other racial slur like n****, honky, or cracker was a widely used word by other countries and not seen as offensive, then the offended wouldn't have the right to be able to express their indignation in this public forum or should be made to feel stupid for feeling offended?

That is FUCKED UP!

Back on topic. This looks like a very interesting game, I'll definitely give it a try considering the classes and customization.

I'm wary of feeding the trolls, but this is pretty crazy. The original use of the abbreviation Jap was used here as an abbreviation of the country, not referring to an individual. I don't think anyone would disagree that the terms above would be out of order but that is because they are used to refer to individuals of a particular racial descent, not countries.

On the subject of "the offended wouldn't have the right": Have any of the people complaining about the use of the abbreviation actually been of Japanese descent? Or is this just an example of over zealous political correctness seeing fault where there is none? (If you are of Japanese descent and were offended by the original post then I apologise and will get back in my box...)

I wouldn't use the abbreviation myself (I'd usually stick to J, JP, JPN or 日本 when referring to the country. When referring to the people I would generally not abbreviate and use Japanese or 日本人).

Back on topic... This is another game added to my list to go back to when I know more Kanji...

Edit: The character codes that are mangled above displayed fine when I previewed this
frown.gif
I guess this board isn't friendly to non-latin characters...

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
chewtoy said:
I'm wary of feeding the trolls, but this is pretty crazy. The original use of the abbreviation Jap was used here as an abbreviation of the country, not referring to an individual. I don't think anyone would disagree that the terms above would be out of order but that is because they are used to refer to individuals of a particular racial descent, not countries.

It's all about usage though. In Australia the contraction "Paki" isn't considered offensive because it' only been used to contract the name of, say, the Pakistani cricket team. It's considered offensive in England because it's used as a racial slur for all people of a certain race (not just those from Pakistan) and in the 80s and 90s gangs of skinheads went around "Paki bashing". n**** is just a word and it's derived from n****, meaning black. Looking at the word itself and not taking into account previous usage there's no reason why it should be any more offensive than the word black. If you're wondering why you can't call black people niggers, it's not the Politically Correct Crowd that you want to blame, it's the people who used the word as a racial slur. I've never really thought of the contraction Jap to being particularly offensive (Just like people from other countries are probably baffled as to why "Paki" is offensive in England) but if you grew up with stuff like this

oc%20slap%20a%20jap%20superdickery.jpg

I can see how the word might grate.

gimrok

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is a security check in this game 7th dragon.

When you beat the first dragon and get back to town,
the opening stuff credit shows up and right after that, the screen turns black!!!!! (and freeze of course)

I've been trying to find a way to fix this or surpass the security check...

anyone any ideas?

kodoku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gimrok said:

the opening stuff credit shows up and right after that, the screen turns black!!!!! (and freeze of course)

anyone any ideas?
Really? Which card are you using?
I'm well past that and I have no freezing at all. I have a CycloDS... older firmware (haven't updated it in a loong time).

gimrok

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kodoku said:
gimrok said:

anyone any ideas?
I'm well past that and I have no freezing at all. I have a CycloDS... older firmware (haven't updated it in a loong time).

I'm using r4 revolution.
I have 1.18 and I tried 1.19 (the unofficial one) but neither works.

what firmware r u using? Could it mean that this game doesnt work with r4?

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gimrok said:
kodoku said:
gimrok said:

anyone any ideas?

I'm using r4 revolution.
I have 1.18 and I tried 1.19 (the unofficial one) but neither works.

what firmware r u using? Could it mean that this game doesnt work with r4?

I've had absolutely no problems and I'm well after the first dragon (R4, latest firmware)

Raven Darkheart

The Radioactive Flamer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gimrok said:

anyone any ideas?
its just your cart. it plays fine

gimrok

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nvm, I kept trying and I finally passed that part.
But i just found out it is written in the manual that comes with the game that "this game wont function normal without nintendo's system."

thanks for the answers.

deathfisaro

Narcistic Deathfisaro Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't want to dwell on the slur issue because it's very tangent to the purpose of the topic.
But just know that the term "jap" was used by soldiers contemptuous of their enemies. Of course younger generations wouldn't care much about people using it, but I still see it the old way.

When's the last time you called your Vietnamese friend a "gook" or said "ching chong" on TV?

Back on topic, so far I've been loving the game except that I need to practically talk to everybody multiple times to initiate quests. I'd prefer the quests to be available at the counter without having to dig through the whole town.

But the battle is generally fun (I love how you don't have to press A multiple times to issue simple attack commands. Just holding down A does the job!). It needs a bit more balancing between classes IMO, but people are beating the game with 4-princess party and stuff so it's not a big issue. (Other than making the game too easy.)

NaYa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I... I thought it was 7th Saga at first and thought "OMG they made a remake/sequel to that old game?!" XD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hawaii played it smart and said we're too hot for this land