DS #3299: Animal Boxing (USA)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game looks terrible and its by Destineer who make shit games.

Low expectations.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The sound is just awful. Every frickin`character is making the same noise... What is this! Except the really bad sound it is a pretty decent game
wink.gif

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Hadrian Uranium said:
This game looks terrible and its by Destineer who make shit games.

Low expectations.

Destineer doesn't make shit games.. they publish shit games.. and they published Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ recently which was not bad.

You can't deny that this game is at least creative
tongue.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fabis94 said:
If you can't get dumped games at GBAtemp why does it show the filesize and the file name?
I mean maybe i missed something and you can download games from here...

Yeah, you missed something, man.
rofl2.gif

You signed up as a GBATemp member this month, so the forum rules should be fresh in your mind.

Anyway, hope this game was worth the wait, Greenbanans

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fabis94 said:
If you can't get dumped games at GBAtemp why does it show the filesize and the file name?
Here is something that I find stupid. When you sign up to the forum, right at the top of the Registration Form it says:

QUOTE said:
We do not host or serve roms

Then it says:

QUOTE said:
* We DO NOT HOST or PROVIDE ROMs/WADs/ISOs; or link to websites that do contain ROMs/WADs/ISOs.
* Members may NOT ASK and MAY NOT PROVIDE INFORMATION or LINKS for and to places that provide ROM, WAD, and ISO files.
* Members may also NOT mention torrent or warez-containing sites or channels by name or otherwise.
* We do not condone piracy in any way.
* Please go elsewhere if you only wish to download or share illegal files. The GBAtemp Forums are for discussion ONLY.

Then there is a box you have to tick, and next to the box it says:

QUOTEI will not ask for roms or anything illegal, neither on the forums nor by private messages

and then at the bottom of the page you HAVE to type in:

There are no roms on GBAtemp

You can't say we haven't made it bloody clear enough.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm actually enjoying it quite well. I'd even go so far as to say it's the best boxing game on DS. Of course, that's not necessarily much of a distinction, but it controls good. The flip thing makes sense, and the graphics are really good. It has a similar chibi look as that Kira Kira Music Hour game. My main complaint so far is the lack of music during fights. All you hear are the dull sounds you'd imagine hearing in a boxing gym, and in a game, that just don't cut it. Otherwise, I'm pleasantly surprised by the game. Should be fun in really short bursts.

Donato_Dobango

Trophies
Website
www.fairuseradio.com
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ, I think this is the same programming house who made that great, weird game.

I've played a few rounds and I'm enjoying it. The graphics, especially on a DS, are pretty great. The characters have Little Red Riding Hood's anime influence and the animals all look very cartoon-y and detailed. The 3D effects when you get knocked out or dodge a punch are pretty great, too.

The sound is the one sour spot, but I often turn the sound off and listen to TV or my computer, so I only noticed the horribly 80s Wyld Stallyns guitar solo anytime you finish a fight.

There seems to be at least 20 championships to fight for and dozens of boxers to unlock, so a 360 achievement monger like myself loves the challenge of 100%-ing this game.

The only negative I saw was there's no way to stop at a fight mid-weight class. If you want a championship, it appears you have to fight every fight in there. I stopped after 2 wins, and I wasn't facing the champion yet, so I don't know how many fights are in each class.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Ferrariman said:
Is this game supposed to be good, because there were a load of people whining over this.

Pretty abysmal review on IGN and a score of 5.6
http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/932/932820p1.html

QUOTE(Awdofgum @ Jan 25 2009, 06:29 PM) Why would PETA be upset at animals fighting themselves?

You play as a human fighting against animals

Nekoblade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fabis94 said:

Successful troll is successful. 9/10

GreenBanana

Trophies
Website
noino.iwarp.com
XP
Country
Holding the DS upsidedown can be a bit awkward, but just don't hold it by the topscreen since it's too flimsy. This is especially good as the game is not entirely touch-screen driven. But because it is a sports game, do expect some level of savage difficulty. Well, that is the trend with sports games at least, but the game doesn't seem very brutal when you start out, as long as you get over the learning curve. The music's nice, uses some guitars you don't get to hear much in quirky games like this that aren't just straight-up sports games. Don't worry, there's music in stages after the Animal Gym.

Gameplay is pretty straightforward, using both the touch screen and the buttons. Use the touch screen to execute punches by tapping, sliding, and holding and tapping or sliding. Blocking is key, however, and you can hold X (now at the bottom) to put up your dukes. It seems to be a good idea to block very often and take on a patient tactic to await an opening when you can give your opponent a black eye or two. You can also dodge with the other buttons, which of course requires some quick observation. Oh, and yeah, don't worry about the Start button being up there, you can still Pause as normal. Use the touch screen to grab chili peppers to increase anger, which increases as you fight and lets you adopt a Fury stance for more powerful punches. Chili peppers burn Rommel's gut, he really wanted a cheeseburger and some french-fried potaters.

The customization on your character is pretty interesting, with a decent amount of variability and some interesting selections that can make your character nice to look at. Don't forget to double-tap selections to choose different colors, although this doesn't seem applicable to accessories. The models actually aren't too bad, considering what you might expect, the style is top-heavy. They didn't overlook tails; they seem to have made them really small. There does seem to be a tiny bit of latency between poking and waiting for the model to load in the menu here, but it's not a big deal. Plenty of unlockables gives you something to play for, though I really only noticed unlockables in the player customization with the belts you can win. The character design keeps your opponents interesting.

Championship mode contains your Tutorial dealy and all that, which explains the different moves you can make (it's more than just tapping on their face all the time!). You can pretty much pick up all you need from the Tutorial, like your punching moves and how to dodge when. Remember to stay observant; you need to be quick with your eyes as well as on your feet. Just don't let your distraction with puns like being a "cat-tender-izer" get in the way of victory. Just be warned that the Lightweight championship is a series of five opponents. This may seem a tad lengthy at times, but there's no quick-save between opponents.

All in all, it's a pretty solid game, though it may have a bit of a weak redundancy rate because of the lack of music to listen to during the fights. Certainly worth a buy, even if you don't necessarily care for sports titles.

Yes, PETA won't like this game (see that Cooking Mama parody they did), but then they're the $cientology of animal rights groups, and give animal rights a bad name. Remember, do not punch your pets or animals at the zoo. Those animals do not want to be punched (and some may eat you). This is a "VIDEO GAME".

There seems to be a glitch with my character's hair for some reason. After fighting Chun, I somehow got hair that resembled her two-bun style, and when I went to change it my hair became wireframed instead of coloured. Odd.

BIF!

Nekoblade said:
Fabis94 said:

Successful troll is successful. 9/10
Give him a break; you had people claiming this game was playable as soon as the thread was up when it wasn't available anywhere. It's not like anybody cares about the filesize and filename anyways since they usually have to be renamed and get included with spam.

And besides, I don't see him actually asking for the game. Blows a gaping hole in your ass-umption there.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
GreenBanana said:
Give him a break; you had people claiming this game was playable as soon as the thread was up when it wasn't available anywhere.

WHY do you keep saying this? You've made these mocking comments about games "not being available yet" and how people talking about the gameplay must have "psychic powers" in several threads, every time it's been explained to you and every time you ignore those posts. The game is always, always available to download somewhere before it's posted on GBAtemp. Games become available, someone looks at what's been released, who released it, what's in the nfo etc and then posts it on GBAtemp. Just because your sources don't get it for a while it doesn't mean anyone who says they've tried it out is lying or an idiot, games are distributed amongst people long before they appear on http, filesharing and torrent sites. Not that that really matters, because you still make such posts hours after the games are posted on even the most well known and openly public rom sites. I can only presume you get your roms hand delivered or something.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
Pretty abysmal review on IGN and a score of 5.6
http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/932/932820p1.html

Yeah, just read the review, and I really can't argue with much of what the reviewer says. I do disagree, however, in that I don't think the controls are gimmcky; they make perfect sense to me. But yeah, there is a lack of depth, and though I don't mind the somewhat shallow nature of the controls, I would have liked to have seen some type of career mode that allows you to purchase new moves and present even a shell of a story. Maybe even have to pay medical bills after taking so much damage over the course of time.

However, a little bird told me that the game retails for only $15, and for that price, IGN is way off in their final score, especially considering this is the same reviewer who harped on the new Space Invaders WiiWare game because you didn't get enough bang for your buck. He seems to have many double standards (and he's also the guy who gave Zombie BBQ a huge score).

@ G-Nanas -- Yeah, it's nice that you can customize the look of your character, but the game doesn't seem to offer any real RPG-like customization, which really would have added a ton to the overall experience. Still, it's great in short spurts.

GreenBanana

Trophies
Website
noino.iwarp.com
XP
Country
irpacynot said:
@ G-Nanas -- Yeah, it's nice that you can customize the look of your character, but the game doesn't seem to offer any real RPG-like customization, which really would have added a ton to the overall experience. Still, it's great in short spurts.
Yeah, you're right about that, that definitely would've helped on the player's end of things. This game isn't without its flaws in depth perhaps, but it seems well-rounded overall.

I wouldn't concern myself too much with what so-called "professional" reviewers have to say, though. Online video game "journalism" are the weeds of google searches.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: I have a number of geriatric relatives.