DS #2704: Disgaea DS (USA)

IAmTheRad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have the PS2 version but this version will be better. Mostly because I can play this version on the bus during the commute to class.

Also this version has Etna mode, and that alone is enough for me to play it. Anyways, I did undub it because the voice actors are hideous in my opinion, and it makes it more like the anime (which I enjoyed, but I watched fansubs)

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
I have to say I'm most definitely not impressed with the production values of this edition.

Worse graphics/sound, less smooth framerate, removed voice acting. there's still a bit of load times, audio is strangely quiet even at max settings...

Doesn't surprise me though. It's the first game ever developed by NIS themselves for a non-Sony platform. I'm sure later ones will improve.

Perseid

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Haruhi said:
I have to say I'm most definitely not impressed with the production values of this edition.

Worse graphics/sound, less smooth framerate, removed voice acting. there's still a bit of load times, audio is strangely quiet even at max settings...

Doesn't surprise me though. It's the first game ever developed by NIS themselves for a non-Sony platform. I'm sure later ones will improve.

The reason for much of that is the fact that they only used a 64MB cart. They filled it to the brim, but if they'd spent the extra $ and used a 128MB they could have kept all the voice acting and both languages. The Japanese version seems to have a bit more voicing, oddly enough.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
If you already have the other versions, or are new to the series, not really.

Yet hardcore players will love delving deep into this to experiment with its differences.
smile.gif

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
Weird... I've never once needed to arm7 patch any game for my trusty old Supercard CF.

Only a slim few I'd had to use patches other than the official app on. Some were DK Jungle Climber, Time Hollow (like anyone else with its initial bad dump), and that Puyo translation.

diskenth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
enarky said:
Is this really a RPG or is this just another one of those generic strategy "RPG" titles the DS already drowns in? How can people play that game for 200 or 300 hours? Doesn't it have a story that just ends somewhere?
It is a tactics game. But not just any tactics game. It is THE tactics game where you play a demon prince taking over the world. Max level is 9999 with rebirthing to level 1 in exchange for increasingly stronger stats each time(so technically 9999+), items can be levelled, the item stats can be grinded up, you can hire your own army, demons hired by a character can teach that character their abilities (for example, having the demon prince learn heals from a cleric class), one of the best plots/twists, has it's own anime/manga adaptation, there is a "dark assembly" to vote for various things (stronger monsters for faster exp gain, weaker monsters to reset it, expensive items, inexpensive items, giving your demon a more powerful influence, etc), yada yada yada.

So someone who put 300 hours into it would still not have maxed everything (here's looking at you Item World!).
Oh, there's also a New Game+ where everything carries over.

TL;DR version: This is the definition of a timesink.

Check out Gamefaqs for power levelling guides to quickly crank out an invincible one man army, since it's entirely possible (and efficient) to complete the game using a solo character.

Gamer

DS Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.pikaflash.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Haruhi said:
Weird... I've never once needed to arm7 patch any game for my trusty old Supercard CF.

Only a slim few I'd had to use patches other than the official app on. Some were DK Jungle Climber, Time Hollow (like anyone else with its initial bad dump), and that Puyo translation.

So... That means this game needs to? Or... does it work fine? (I have a SC Rumble SD, and also, i never needed to patch any game with the ARM7 Fix)

Gonna try it soon, but there are too many games to play right now (my SD is full lol)

Cheers!

AXYPB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haruhi said:

My sentiments exactly. Not to mention the fact that the Prinnies sound completely different (and for the worse). I have no idea as to how that happened.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If they had gone for the 128MB, or even 256 like some games are pushing, they could have fit all that content. I'm still curious why they settled for cramming it all into 64MB.

NatsuMatto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I generally love tactics games, but I tried playing this on the PSP and quit after a few hours... it's just all about grinding. I barely want to play 40 hour games, much less 300 hours.

Those people who are into grinding, though, seem to love it. Guess it's just an acquired taste.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AXYPB said:
Haruhi said:

My sentiments exactly. Not to mention the fact that the Prinnies sound completely different (and for the worse). I have no idea as to how that happened.

Agreed. I found the voice acting terrible. I miss the old japanese prinny voices. "Gambarasu!" (Is that what the prinnies say? lol) I was kind of disappointed they didn't use a 128mb or 256mb for this game.. I'll still definitely buy it though 'cause then again, its about the gameplay.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
diskenth said:
enarky said:
Is this really a RPG or is this just another one of those generic strategy "RPG" titles the DS already drowns in? How can people play that game for 200 or 300 hours? Doesn't it have a story that just ends somewhere?
It is a tactics game. But not just any tactics game. It is THE tactics game where you play a demon prince taking over the world. Max level is 9999 with rebirthing to level 1 in exchange for increasingly stronger stats each time(so technically 9999+), items can be levelled, the item stats can be grinded up, you can hire your own army, demons hired by a character can teach that character their abilities (for example, having the demon prince learn heals from a cleric class), one of the best plots/twists, has it's own anime/manga adaptation, there is a "dark assembly" to vote for various things (stronger monsters for faster exp gain, weaker monsters to reset it, expensive items, inexpensive items, giving your demon a more powerful influence, etc), yada yada yada.

So someone who put 300 hours into it would still not have maxed everything (here's looking at you Item World!).
Oh, there's also a New Game+ where everything carries over.

TL;DR version: This is the definition of a timesink.

Check out Gamefaqs for power levelling guides to quickly crank out an invincible one man army, since it's entirely possible (and efficient) to complete the game using a solo character.
Thanks for the description.

Seems not to be my type of game, though... like NatsuMatto I'd rather have a game with an ending I can look forward too, that can be achieved within a reasonable amount of time. I don't want to have to safe the world a second, third and fourth time, just to get the maximum out of a game. Once should be enough.
wink.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: @Xdqwerty, about to