DS #2312: Street Football (Europe)

HeatMan Advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, Canadians came up with Basketball.

I really don't get why everyone targets America with every sport release. Why does it matter what we call anything in our own country? Nobody literally cares about Futball/football/Soccer over here. It's considered the most boring team sport over here.

I don't think America has ever tried to claim they originated anything outside of maybe Bullriding or NASCAR. Either way every country has their own cultural interest which is what makes different parts of the world worth traveling to.

Who cares what it's called if it isn't even the same game? Nobody has ever been confused by this and I for one know America isn't interested enough in Soccer/futball/football to ever make an issue about it. Most people here only know David Beckham from celebrity tabloids and have never even seen him play the game. I'm not sure if they even televise soccer over here outside of the Spanish language channels.

At least we all agree this game sucks(and not because of the sport).

Talaria

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
New Zealand
JPH said:
To clear it up for the numbnuts who don't know -

Football is soccer in the United States.
Soccer is football in Europe.

Football is soccer; soccer is football.
wacko.gif

To clear it up for the numbnuts who don't know -

Football is soccer in the United States.
Soccer is football in Europe.
Football can be Soccer and/or Rugby in New Zealand

Football is soccer; soccer is football, rugby is football, football is rugby

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
HeatMan Advance said:
Who cares what it's called if it isn't even the same game? Nobody has ever been confused by this and I for one know America isn't interested enough in Soccer/futball/football to ever make an issue about it. Most people here only know David Beckham from celebrity tabloids and have never even seen him play the game. I'm not sure if they even televise soccer over here outside of the Spanish language channels.

My cousin lived in florida and he told me that there is a lot of interest in Soccer in the US now, its even played in schools. He used to live in NY and was on his school soccer team, when he moved to Florida that school and the surrounding schools even had a league, I live in the UK and I even know major TV companies have either Soccer coverage or a dedicated channel, Even Fox have a dedicated channel FSC. Me I dont follow club footie, I only watch it at the national level. Football, soccer or whatever you call it is the biggest soprt on the planet and played in more countries and by more people than any other sport. Which begs the question why release crap like this when the potential market is unlimited ( see I'm back on topic
dry.gif
)

HeatMan Advance

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it is played a lot in schools. The term "Soccer Mom" is popular from mothers picking up their kids from practice and such. The thing is, after school is over and those kids grow up, most of them will never touch the sport again since there's little interest in it as a professional sport here.

I wouldn't mind if it caught on, but we've never found it as interesting as the rest of the world has for some reason. It's just one of those inexplicable things, like how this crappy game was made instead of a real football/soccer game(I've wormed my way back on topic also
cool.gif
)

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
HeatMan Advance said:
Yeah it is played a lot in schools. The term "Soccer Mom" is popular from mothers picking up their kids from practice and such. The thing is, after school is over and those kids grow up, most of them will never touch the sport again since there's little interest in it as a professional sport here.

I've see soccer Mom vid's on the net
blink.gif
now they would make a good game............ unlike this one...

mphil145

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw 40 or so post and I thought wow this must be a good game I never heard about, then I read all the post and none of them really have anything to do with the game

Timo710

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
To get back on the reason people are pissed of by the fact of the use of the name football.

How would you Americans like it if Cricket was called Baseball in English, and they'd refrer to Baseball with another name. That just kinda sucks, doesnt it.

I don't really give a damn, but for me logic always deserves to be praised, and in basic logic in Soccer we actually are constantly using our feet to get the ball to the goal to score points, in American Football, basicly, you are using your hands more then your feet. So to me, its more logicall to call Soccer Football.

But ey, I really don't need to give a damn, cause i'm from Holland and in Dutch its just Voetbal, and its kinda nice to not have people on the other side of the world using our language, I mean, that would make it less Dutch, or whatever.

This brings me up to one question though, since American People speak English, arent the grammar rules made in England, and doesn't that mean the Dictionary in England has to be the same as in the USA?

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Timo710 said:
This brings me up to one question though, since American People speak English, arent the grammar rules made in England, and doesn't that mean the Dictionary in England has to be the same as in the USA?

In a word NO. The English language is just that a language and being such it has colloquial terms and meanings for different geographical boundaries. Even in England saying a sentence in one part of the country can hold a different meaning in another part. Once counties adopt or speak a language it evolves over time and words hold different meanings that they one did in the "mother" language. There is such a term as "The Queens English" but even this form of English is only something that is really taught in schools but not actually spoken wherever you may live, unless you live in Buckingham Palace. That said the English language is just a mish mash of lots of other languages anyway.

OK now I'm guessing that this conversation has run its course in this thread, this really should be taken to the "General Off-Topic Chat" section and this one either back on topic or padlocked for the sake of sanity.

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Timo710 said:
To get back on the reason people are pissed of by the fact of the use of the name football.

How would you Americans like it if Cricket was called Baseball in English, and they'd refrer to Baseball with another name. That just kinda sucks, doesnt it.

I don't really give a damn, but for me logic always deserves to be praised, and in basic logic in Soccer we actually are constantly using our feet to get the ball to the goal to score points, in American Football, basicly, you are using your hands more then your feet. So to me, its more logicall to call Soccer Football.

But ey, I really don't need to give a damn, cause i'm from Holland and in Dutch its just Voetbal, and its kinda nice to not have people on the other side of the world using our language, I mean, that would make it less Dutch, or whatever.

i like the fact that you would Rant, then say " i dont give a damn", then Rant, then again say "i dont give a damn".

make up your mind!

funem

Retro Powered..
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Unchi-san said:
Timo710 said:

i like the fact that you would Rant, then say " i dont give a damn", then Rant, then again say "i dont give a damn".

make up your mind!

I do both I'm fickle, 99% of my posts talk about the game in the thread, I'm allows 1% rant, the Doctor told me so....

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
....and on a parting shot as far as soccer goes... WTF do soccer players look like walking advertisements for multinational corporations? Why do goalies for european sports wear a completely different jersey from the rest of their team? why do soccer "ultimate" winning cup look like the wine carafe on my table as opposed to the Stanley Cup for example? ... my fingers are tired so I'll be stopping here...

[EDIT]
meh, not done yet, WTF are finals for a "league" competition held in a country that has only one team? ugh, I'm getting tired, but someone else can pick up for me...
[/EDIT]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)