DS #2308: Myst (USA)

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by JPH, May 18, 2008.

1. BioHazardN00B

BioHazardN00B Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere
    Whats wrong with you guys... Myst is a great point & click game. I Even have the original version for the Sega Saturn and i love every bit of it!
    (I especially liked the following to aspects of the game: talking books & fancy constellations, Lol)

2. Bob Evil

Bob Evil The Department of Home-Made Insecurity

Sep 27, 2006
    Out of the corner of your eye

The original version was 14 years ago on the PC [​IMG]

3. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Yes, but that's not the topic at hand. This DS version is awful. The fact that every other version of the game ever released is at least decent, if not great, makes it stand out big time.

4. funem

funem Retro Powered..

Nov 4, 2006
    United Kingdom
    out of nowhere....
    LIke the original this is going to be a case of "Style Stylus over substance" [​IMG]

5. Harumy

Harumy GBAtemp Regular

Apr 3, 2008
    Portugal
    No, thanks! [​IMG]

6. Kellicros

Kellicros GBAtemp Fan

Mar 8, 2006
    Sigh, it sucks though, because this was one of the more anticipated games back then. [​IMG]

7. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    lol I wondered who would end up repacking this (been on usenet a couple of days by XANDU) didn't expect it to be SQUiRE heh.
    Like everyone else has already said, aweful port, steer clear.
    Yet to finish this game even though I've played it on 5 or more platforms.

8. Pigwooly

Pigwooly GBAtemp Fan

May 1, 2007
    United States

The original was still images that popped from one to the other just like this one. Video was used few and far between and is present in this DS version. I haven't played the DS version, but that video makes it look to me like a 100% faithful port.

I can't believe you can't switch screens Phantom Hourlgass style to take notes on the top screen though. The original one came with a notebook to take notes in because you need to write down symbols and stuff to progress through the game. I guess they didn't want to do any work on it other than porting it exactly as it was.

I just read the IGN review and it looks like the main problem with this game stems from shrinking a game designed for the PC down to the DS making it really frustrating to see what your supposed to do. That and the fact that everything that made it cool back in the day (read 3D rendered images and nice ambient sounds) is no longer impressive at all.

9. pbolmstedt

pbolmstedt GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2006
    Unfortunately, this is not Myst. This is an auto-converted DS clone. Please, read the insightful comments in this thread and the (E) thread.

10. lukereeve

lukereeve Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2007
    Just to agree with the choir, the original was awesome, [althought I never understood it when it first came out], this however is absolute garbage. Really does not work well on the DS's tiny screen.

11. funem

funem Retro Powered..

Nov 4, 2006
    United Kingdom
    out of nowhere....
    This could have been good, but you might say it was a "Myst opportunity" [​IMG]

12. Truliche

Truliche GBAtemp Regular

Oct 6, 2007
    Ecuador
    Well you could always play the Scumm games through ScummVM DS, the interface is actually pretty decent, I played through Day of The Tentacle and I loved it on DS (despite being like the 100th time I beat that game, knowing all the puzzles it takes like an hour to beat it [​IMG])

13. pbolmstedt

pbolmstedt GBAtemp Regular

Nov 13, 2006
    Ouch, that was cheesy. You can't be Sirrus about that joke.

14. martin88

martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 18, 2005
    Canada
    So this is crap? Aww....[​IMG]

I was expecting something good.

15. rjcrjc

rjcrjc Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2008
    Such a shame, my friends were Riven about this game

16. TrolleyDave

TrolleyDave Philosolosophising

Former Staff
    Jan 1, 2007
    Wales, UK
    ScummVM is great and I use it all the time, but it would be nice to have originals so I could add them to my collection. Real carts and cases > Copy on flashcart any time in my opinion.

17. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    I've never played much through Myst. I was happy to see it come out but it doesn't look like a faithful port.

18. SleepingDragon

SleepingDragon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 30, 2008
    United States
    P3X-719
    This blows

19. jincongz

jincongz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2007
    Canada
    From what I read, this is TOO faithful a port, and so it failed.

20. Ruri

Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 20, 2007
    United States
    The worst part is that it doesn't even take advantage of the DS functionality. Note-taking is absolutely vital in Myst... so of course the note-taking system on this game uses a stupid keyboard and is practically nonfunctional.

A "camera" is included (another thing that would be very nice in Myst) -- except that you can't take pictures of zoomed-in screens, which means you can't read or see anything on photographs you take. That's the reason you'd want a camera. Geez.

And of course it's buggy. Graphical corruption is common. Ugh.

...despite that? It's still sort of fun to play. Myst is a nice game, and it's different from the usual DS stuff. I enjoyed wandering around a bit and fiddling with puzzles. A portable version if Myst is a very good idea.

But make no mistake, this is a terrible, terrible implementation.