DS #2107: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings Of Fate (USA)

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
kwerdenker said:
i tend to agree with them because if it is a bug then why it's working with the cyclods?

If it's as people say, that the game makes a CRC, then it's actually quite easy to understand: the R4 and several other flashcarts perform an "on the fly patch" to boot the game, thus changing its CRC. The CycloDS, on the other hand, uses real "clean" ROMs, thus keeping the "good" CRC the game is looking for as it doesn't perform any patching at all.

That's what several people say, though.

Edit: Stanleyopar2000, if you don't want anyone to flame you, don't flamebait...

Zerrix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Does anyone know how the language-files are named,when you unpack the FF CC : RoF Rom?
Because I want to hack it into MULTI-5 or German,but I dunno how the name of the data is called-.-
I have already unpacked the Rom and now I´ve got some datas and so on...
Can anyone plz give me some instructions of what to do now?
I beg you plz
wink.gif

Zerrix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
GH0ST said:
... see #92 and #428 ...

It is not easy Zerrix ... type the name of your unpacked files in a decent search engine ( not necessary the one you think about ) and it will lead you to some chinese sites... you lose your time ... but you will learn something ... hopefully ;-)

thx a lot...but unfortunately i dont even know what you are talking-.-
So whe I want the code on at post #428,then what have i to do at 1st?

Rciwws

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it appears from the R4 website that the firmware updates come out roughly once a month. (12/19/07, 1/08/08, 2/19/2008) So maybe we will see one sooner than we think. I doubt until it happens all of our attempts to try and fiddle with things wont be very successful.

Fumble

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Congrats, Square-Enix and Nintendo. Pretty clever! The American team actually prevailed at copy-protecting this pretty well! Bug or not, accident or not, it gives the same result - most flashcarts get the Moogle of Death. Even a couple of Cyclods Evolution users have been having problems with it, according to their forums.
Good show, good show!

Last time that there was a problem to dump a DS game, it got solved, in what, 36 hours? Now a new problem arises and all kinds of things were tried with no results. We've been trumped! I, for one, adore this game and will proudly buy a legit copy. I couldn't play the Gamecube one with my buddies due to the lack of 4 Gameboy SP consoles with Gamecube links...

I just hope that this isn't a bad joke from the release group. If it is, I truly do believe that "the scene" has been corrupted beyond recognition. How I long the days where release groups lived in harmony with all those ugly intros... Hey, at least the techno MIDIs were pretty catchy.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
It is important for all of us to remember that this Flash kit world we all love could come crumbling down rather quickly. All it takes is a few smart coders to understand exactly what they need to do in order to slip in a small security device.

We have no proof right now that this was an attempt to fool flash kits but understanding how the Micro SD, Flash kits, and the auto patching functions work, it appears that it was deliberate.

For those of you that don’t understand this here are the basics. Currently manufactured Micro SD cards can seek and distribute data at 12 micoseconds. The NDS already has a feature that randomly requests data from the game cart in 4 microsecond intervals. If the data can not be spit back in the time limit the game will not function. This check is completely random and can be implemented in the code of the game cart. The different Flash kit manufacturers have combated this issue by integrating on-the-fly patching into their various firmwares. When the NDS queries the cart for the data, the firmware simply spoofs the data and in most cases spits back garbage. This allows the game to go on playing because as far as the NDS is concerned the “real” cart spit back a response in time, so it can’t be a ROM. It appears that the smart coders over at Square are checking to make sure the data is actually correct. So when the firmware spits back garbage the game fails and we are presented with the now famous “thank you for playing” screen.

It is my understanding that the CycloDS can run ROMs in a clean mode that does not require any patching. While I have not researched how this might be possible the better solution is that the “no patching” method is actually a *smarter* patching algorithm. There is no way that data can be pulled off of the current Micro SD cards at a faster rate. One has to assume that some type of smart patching is buffering data or perhaps storing chunks of data into memory, RAM or something of the like.

The fix for this problem, if indeed this is a new security check, would be to include onboard RAM per Flash kit, the size of the maximum reported ROM. This way the entire clean ROM could be loaded into RAM and run as though it was on a retail cart. Thus the NDS could query all it wanted and receive the correct data off of a much faster RAM solution. Again this is not perfect and would probably require firmware and software emulation to spoof the NDS as the RAM read speed is more like 8 microseconds.

A great bit of homebrew was released to see if your Slot1 is auto patching. The important thing about this homebrew is the conversation and information the original thread spawned. The coder has some great insight and I recommend it as a read for those trying to wrap their heads around the FFCC issue.

Code:
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=42742

Now let us all stop fighting over the speculation of why this ROM does not play, what flash kits it plays on, and why it does so. Let us instead hope that this “security” feature is not sold and bundled with more games. Because if it is then the next generation of Slot1 Flash kits (which will no doubt have to include some type of internal storage) will most likely be very expensive!

*cheers*
-AW

Zerrix

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Fumble said:
Congrats, Square-Enix and Nintendo. Pretty clever! The American team actually prevailed at copy-protecting this pretty well! Bug or not, accident or not, it gives the same result - most flashcarts get the Moogle of Death. Even a couple of Cyclods Evolution users have been having problems with it, according to their forums.
Good show, good show!

Last time that there was a problem to dump a DS game, it got solved, in what, 36 hours? Now a new problem arises and all kinds of things were tried with no results. We've been trumped! I, for one, adore this game and will proudly buy a legit copy. I couldn't play the Gamecube one with my buddies due to the lack of 4 Gameboy SP consoles with Gamecube links...

I just hope that this isn't a bad joke from the release group. If it is, I truly do believe that "the scene" has been corrupted beyond recognition. How I long the days where release groups lived in harmony with all those ugly intros... Hey, at least the techno MIDIs were pretty catchy.

Trust me....Within the next month or 2 weeks,there´ll be a solution
wink.gif

Since now really every problem has been fixxed from the hacker - scene
wink.gif

So why shouldn´t this be to?
wink.gif

Hackers (And the team of R4/M3) from all around the world will hang in there and they WILL fix it
wink.gif

Square Enix has a 0,00% chance to make an end of the piratecy
wink.gif

Not only SE...Many,many others too...

Fumble

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
By the way...

I'm surprised that I didn't see some kind of objection yet, but by examining the game yesterday (when I received it at work) I noticed...

The game's called Ring of Fates, not Rings of Fate.
yaynds.gif

Doesn't sound right.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fumble said:
By the way...

I'm surprised that I didn't see some kind of objection yet, but by examining the game yesterday (when I received it at work) I noticed...

The game's called Ring of Fates, not Rings of Fate.
yaynds.gif

Doesn't sound right.

We know ... at least 3 people per day mention it
wink.gif

GH0ST

Your Hero is a Ghost
Trophies
Website
www.neuronball.com
XP
Country
France
The official site explains that nicely ( http://na.square-enix.com/ffccrof/ http://na.square-enix.com/ffccnews/) ... the story ... sharing fates etc ... nice stuff about the making of.

Btw there is no problem with the CycloDS Evolution : in game menu is working fine with slowmotion ( V1.22 ) and only RTS is not supported now with latest 1.3... but guess ... 1.4 beta is near ;-)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: @BigOnYa...