DriveKey Modchip

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by brasscorpion, Mar 3, 2009.

Mar 3, 2009

DriveKey Modchip by brasscorpion at 4:28 AM (1,601 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. brasscorpion
    OP

Newcomer brasscorpion Member

United States
    Okay...so here is a quick question?

Does anyone know if this NEW ribbon cable "Drivekey" modchip works? How does it work and why fo rthe past 2 years have we been cutting and chipping Epoxy glue and soldering in wires?

I looked on youtube and found a couple video's of this unit already being installed and of course it looks like it works.

Any info would be helpfull. My Birthday was a week ago and I got a bright new shiny Wii with the D2E chipset. Oh yeah one last thing, do we know who makes it and "is it" or does the the company that produces it, produce quality? WIll I be buying 4 of these in the 1st year because they burn out?

Brass

2. bahemith

Newcomer bahemith Newbie

United States
    Its made by the makers of WiiKey...I have had it for a few days now...and plays all my backups and runs all the homebrew Ive thrown at it..Im running 3.4u on my wii also...I actually like this better that the wiikey V1...I have no complaints..

3. david432111

Member david432111 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    It only runs backups at half speed.

4. brasscorpion
    OP

Newcomer brasscorpion Member

United States
    Okay so what are the issues with running backups at 1/2 speed?

Can this be fixed later via an an update?

ANyone using it find a problem with running backups at 1/2 speed? Does the game get stuck or stutter during intense moments? If there are no issues with running games at 1/2 speed, then I would say that it "isn't an issue".

So I ask my question again. Why something so simple now when we have been soldering and cutting up Wii's for over 2 years. I guess the Epoxy thing being new. What do they say "necessity is the mother of all invention".

SO anyone using this??? Anyone having issues? I would imagine that there will be a version 2 that runs at full speed...seems easye nough to fix.

Brass

5. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I'm not sure what answer you're looking for really. It just hadn't been invented, no one had had the idea.

Bit like asking "why did we spend the last 2000 years riding around on horses when we could have been driving cars"

6. fogbank

Member fogbank GBAtemp Fan

United States
    DriveKey currently has known issues with Wii systems that have silver flat cables connecting the main board to the DVD drive board. There are reports of backups running but not originals with this configuration (white/grey flat cables seem to be o.k. with DriveKey). There are also some reports of users not being able to access the built-in configuration program. I would wait to see if these issues get fixed before buying a DriveKey.

At this time it appears that FlatMod does not have the same issues with the silver flat cables.

Both products are new to the market so situations may change [​IMG]