Drive Swap BenQ for LiteOn

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by wolverine92, Jan 24, 2010.

Jan 24, 2010

Drive Swap BenQ for LiteOn by wolverine92 at 5:18 AM (4,523 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. wolverine92
    OP

Member wolverine92 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    hello. i have a console that has a BenQ dvd drive in it that has failed. i need to replace it and i have a spare LiteOn drive that is flashed to LT. i have the keys for the LiteOn drive but not the BenQ. i have searched for tutorials but all i can find is how to change a LiteOn to a BenQ which is the opposite of what i need. could someone please help me out or send me in the right direction. thanks SOO much

2. Sefi

Member Sefi GBAtemp Fan

You need to obtain the key from the BenQ or you won't be able to swap them and have it run games. Your BenQ drive has a key that is linked to that particular 360. The goal would be to take the key and "spoof" it to the new drive, in this case your LiteOn drive. To do that, you need to:

- Connect the BenQ to your PC and run JungleFlasher to grab the key
    - Goto first tab in JungleFlasher and open key from BenQ in top box
    - Open LiteOn LT firmware for your particular LiteOn drive in the bottom box
    - Click "spoof source to target"
    - Click "save as" to save your new custom firmware
    - Flash that custom firmware to your LiteOn

Doing that will get you the LiteOn with the key that will effectively connect it to your 360 that you are replacing your old BenQ drive

3. wolverine92
    OP

Canada
    ok do i use the OFW.bins or the CFW.bins. thanks.

also in the JungleFlasher TUT it says that you cannot flash a liteon drive that had LT FW on it to any other drive can you confirm this?

4. Sefi

Member Sefi GBAtemp Fan

You are essentially going to erase everything on the LiteOn drive, taking a key from the BenQ, and then applying that key to the LT LiteOn firmware. The LT firmware you need is specific to which LiteOn drive you have, the revision is on the label on the drive. If you're unsure you could connect your LiteOn drive to your PC and see what Jungle Flasher says is currently flashed to your LiteOn drive. Either way make sure you use the correct LT LiteOn firmware! After you spoof the key to the LT firmware and save it, you want to flash that saved firmware. It should save as liteon-cfw or something like that. You can name it whatever you want when you save it.

That tutorial is saying you couldn't flash LT firmware to a non-LiteOn drive. You aren't doing that, you are just reflashing your LiteOn with a different key in it. If you had been replacing a broken LiteOn drive with a replacement BenQ drive (opposite of what you're doing) then yes you wouldn't be able to do that. This is the best guide to use, it's up to date and official:

http://jungleflasher.net/files/JungleFlasher.pdf

5. wolverine92
    OP

Canada
    thanks for your help. so my Rev. is 74850C. im not sure if i under stand what your sayin.
    i have 2 keys for my Lite on drive. OFW.bin and CFW.bin. so i will run JF and open the source FW as the benQ FW then open the liteon drive and spoof source to target. after that my liteon will be back on stock FW? and i will have to load my CFW.bin file for my LT in JF and reflash it to get it work work for game backups? is this correct? thanks SOOO much

6. Sefi

Member Sefi GBAtemp Fan

Guess I should have asked first, but do you want LT firmware on your LiteOn drive to play backups? Or do you just want stock firmware on it to play only originals?

If playing any backups:

In Jungle Flasher on the first tab... the top box is where you load your key that you got from the BenQ drive. You could also dump the entire firmware from it if you want. Either way, top box is for BenQ files that you obtained FROM your broken BenQ drive. Like I said, you need that information off your broken drive for this to work.

Bottom box is where you load the LT firmware. Get the LT firmware from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?mwimwnywwcd . Unrar it and delete everything but "ix-lt-748.bin". That is the LT firmware you want for your particular drive. That is the file you open into the bottom box in Jungle Flasher. Then you click "spoof source to target" and it will copy over the key from BenQ to LiteOn. Make SURE to click "save as" and save it named as whatever you want. Then close Jungle Flasher, open it back up, load that saved firmware you now have in "target" area on first tab, and follow instructions on flashing it to your drive in the tutorial I mentioned in last post.

If playing ONLY originals:

Follow same instructions, but instead of the LT firmware use "74850C.bin" from the same firmware package I linked to, it's in the "liteon orig" folder.

Hope that clears up anything, going to bed so if you have more questions I'll check back in the morning. Good luck.

Edit: added couple quick things

7. wolverine92
    OP

Canada
    ok thanks alot i probably cant try this tonight any ways well ill try it tomorrow thanks so much for your help. also its to play backups thanks

8. wolverine92
    OP

Canada
    ok so i have started. im trying to get the keys from my BenQ drive/ i have pluged it in one of my extra sata ports on my mother board but when i turn on my comp windows doesnt reconize it, also when i open JF and go to MTK flash 32 i cant send the keys to any of the listed I/O ports any ideas?

9. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    hate to break your story but you cannot spoof iXtreme LT firmware [​IMG]

10. wolverine92
    OP

Canada
    thats what i had asked earlier but he said that it could be done

11. Sefi

Member Sefi GBAtemp Fan

I haven't read anywhere that says anything about not being able to spoof the LT firmware with a key from a different drive. Where did you read this? I don't understand why it wouldn't be possible.

If you can't get your key from the BenQ then you're out of luck. It sounds like your PC isn't able to read/write firmware to a 360 drive due to incompatable SATA, did you try every SATA port on your PC? Try every single one with every I/O option. And make sure the drive is turned on. It doesn't matter if windows sees it, just need Jungle Flasher to see the drive.

If all else fails I guess see if you can try getting the key from the BenQ on a friend's PC, or buy a compatable SATA card. They mention one in the Jungle Flasher tutorial. I'd just try it on a different PC though.